Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• It's all nonsense

Priceline or Hotwire Tips/Stories

Thinking of using Priceline or Hotwire for my next trip. Anyone have any tips, horror stories, or success stories with these sites. Thanks.

• Mexihick, y'all

Re: Priceline or Hotwire Tips/Stories

I ended up booking my hotel for the evening that afternoon. Ended up getting a room at Extended Stay, across from the park, for like 25 bucks. The place was a royal dump, but cheap...

• I'm your huckleberry.

We've booked a lovely hotel just down the street from the Park for less than 1/2 regular price. I highly recommend Hotwire, as long as you don't mind not knowing the hotel name until you pay. Since you can choose the number of stars you want, that's less of an issue IMO. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesnt make anything anymore, but thats not exactly true. Were the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

I've used priceline several times, with good luck. Read up on tips on www.betterbidding.com and www.biddingfortravel.com
    o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o

• Man O Lantern

Always alway always read www.biddingfortravel.com before using Priceline. Extremely good information from frequent travelers. For example, you don't want to think you're getting an awesome deal on a hotel, just to find out you have to pay $20/day for parking, thereby making not such an awesome deal.

That said, taking the advice I've gotten on bidding for travel, I've booked extremely nice rooms in downtown Seattle and Portland for anywhere from $23 to $75. The $75 room was awesome, retails for $275!

• Food & Whine Aficianado

I got a good deal through Pricline at Hyatt Regency at the end of July; peak summer weekend (Friday and Saturday night) for $77/night. Considering that Super 8 was $92, I felt I got a great deal (although I know that in the off-season, the same rooms have gone for even less--like $50). When selecting a star rating, you need to ask for a 3-star property and in most cases (but not all) you'll end up with Hyatt Regency. It is a very typical Hyatt--decent service, decent rooms (very good beds), and overpriced in-hotel food (although there are many other restaurants nearby). Downside: parking is expensive; $14/day for self, $16 for valet. Convenient shuttle service to DLR.
    An Enchanted Tiki Room practically in my back yard:
    www.TheTikiTerrace.com

• It's all nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by Pugman
    Downside: parking is expensive; $14/day for self, $16 for valet. Convenient shuttle service to DLR.
    This is my concern...all of the added expenses that can be tacked onto the room.

So if they reject your bid, is that it? Or do they lock you into bidding until you find something? Basically, if they reject all your bids are you obligated to pay/stay anywhere?

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries

Just a note from someone who works in the travel industry. Always contact the hotel directly to compare their prices with what you find through third party sites. Sometimes you can get a good deal, sometimes you get screwed. I made a reservation for someone who paid $50 more for a standard room on a popular third party site than we would ever have dreamed of charging her if she had called us directly.

One little known fact about hotels is because of the internet, hotel rates have become highly negotible. Often you can negotiate with the reservations agent (as long as you are speaking with the hotel and not central reservations) for a better price. I have even gotten a hotel to match a price I found from a third party site and saved myself a $50 booking fee.

Try www.travelave.com which is a downloadable search tool that will find what different websites are charging for pretty much every hotel in the area you are searching for. Knowing what the different prices are is a great bargaining tool and helps you find the best deal.

As for Hotwire, I have used it several times and always been happy. I assume you are going to use the site to find a hotel in the Disneyland area. I suggest searching in Fullerton, which is a short drive, but hotels are much cheaper. I have stayed at both a La Quinta and a Fairfield Inn in Fullerton for $45 a night through Hotwire.

Maybe more info than you wanted, but it always amazes me to see how much people have paid through a third party for our hotel rooms.
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

• Man O Lantern

Ooooh, I also love travelaxe and have used it many times to negotiate prices on hotel rooms. I, too, like to book through the hotel over the phone whenever possible.

Also, the Entertainment book deals are still pretty good. www.entertainment.com

I booked a trip through them last year, then when I wanted to add a few days that weren't available on the site, I contacted the hotel, told them I'd pre-paid for some nights, and would like to extend our stay, they asked what I paid through entertainment and they matched the price for the last few nights we were there.

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries

Another tip, multiple night stays are a great bargaining tool. Many hotels will give you a great deal in order to get your long term business. Also, you can get better deals during the week than on the weekend.

Another great thing about travelaxe is it tells you what is going on in town, so you know if a huge convention is bringing in 80,000 out-of-towners who will take up all the hotel rooms and drive up rates.
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

• It's all nonsense

What are peoples thoughts on Priceline vs Hotwire?

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Arizona's own

Blog Entries

I now use priceline a lot. As others have mentioned read the FAQ at www.biddingfortravel.com it also shows what hotels have been available recently and at what rate people got them.

Personally we stayed at the Crowne Plaza in mid March before using priceline and paid $120 for a night. They do have a private free bus to the park but they do charge a 'resort fee'.

Using Priceline we have stayed at the:

Doubletree/Orange County for $48.00 with 12.00 parking but we were given free breakfast buffet coupons at the front desk. This was a Saturday night stay in March. Private shuttle bus

Marriott/Anaheim early April Saturday night stay $55 + 18 parking fee. Uses ART.

Crowne Plaza - May 2 rooms Sunday thru Wed, $50.00 + 12 a day resort fee. Includes free private shuttle bus.

Extended Stay America - Jul 5-7, $30 a night, no extra fees. Uses ART. I personally will not stay at less than a 2 1/2 star again after this. Room was clean but bed was very uncomfortable.

Hope this helps. I will be checking travelaxe for our next trip.

• Circle of Ancients

We have used Priceline pretty exclusively for the past 4 years at Disneyland.

We always put in 3+ star hotels at $50 a night. There is only a few times we have had to pay more than $50. We have gotten the Hyatt in Garden Grove (at least 6 or 7 times), The Mariott Suites, The Hiltion Disneyland and Doubletrees by the block at Orange and the new one on Harbor.

It's the ONLY way to go. Granted most times you will not get a hotel within walking distance so if you don't have a car you will have to rely on hotel transportation.

It really makes it easy for us to drive down on a Saturday, hang at the hotel for the day or the block then hit the parks on Sunday.

• Boat shoes all day long

I really only have one story, and it is good or bad, based on how you look at it. I booked a trip to WDW thinking I would be having the time of my life staying in the Grand Floridian. Well when I arrived I found out that there was some construction going on in the area of the hotel I had been assigned, and the rest of the rooms were booked solid.
    Little did I know, the Grand Floridian has a sister hotel, and it's not the Del Coronado. It is located just south of the Disney property line and is called the Grande Monkey. When I approached the desk to get a key for my room, which was an upside down cardboard box with a guy sitting behind it reading lord of the rings, the attendant gave me a crowbar. I thought this was rare, but proceeded in the direction he pointed.
    Turns out, I was to stay in the baboon suite. A series of 3 large plaster garbage cans connected to each other. Most people would have ran screaming for the hills at this juncture, but me, no way. For my suite came with a trip-long supply of bananas and back issues of readers digest.
    I spent the rest of my trip in my "room" eating and reading and never even made my way to the parks!

It's a good thing I LOVE potassium and stories about old people doing regular every-day things but for some reason, getting them published!
    "Let's get weird" -Abraham Lincoln

• no flash photography...

we had two great rooms using priceline, but the last room was horrid. priceline would not refund the money even though there was blood on the mattress and dog stains all over the carpet...not to mention all the trash the last peope left and crumbs all over the place. It was gross. oh, priceline gave us a $10.00 voucher for our troubles...woo hoo....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast