• Disney worshipper/geek

Lady Bug Boogie and Monorail '98 questions

I was going to do two separate threads, but I figured this would be more efficient...

1. Why is the Lady Bug Boogie shut down? Visionsfantastic.com said it wouldn't be up again until Jan. 27th, 2008. Did I miss something?

2. When and why did the Monorail track change so it stopped making stops at the Disneyland Hotel? That just seems kind of ridiculous to me. Out of three hotels, only one get be reached by one of the parks? I think it having more than one stop would be much better, then it would fuction as it was originally intended, like actual public transportation.
    My mind won't rest
    and I don't sleep
    Not even in my dreams...
    -"If You Ever Did Believe"
    written by Stevie Nicks

Chasen Matthew Pacheco
    1985-2005

• Space King

Re: Lady Bug Boogie and Monorail '98 questions

1. Just a rehab, They were having problems with the turntables.

2. The Monorail Station is in the exact same spot it has been in since 1961. Downtown Disney took over some the original hotel property.

• Neep meep beep

Quote Originally Posted by sorceress1986
    I was going to do two separate threads, but I figured this would be more efficient...

1. Why is the Lady Bug Boogie shut down? Visionsfantastic.com said it wouldn't be up again until Jan. 27th, 2008. Did I miss something?

2. When and why did the Monorail track change so it stopped making stops at the Disneyland Hotel? That just seems kind of ridiculous to me. Out of three hotels, only one get be reached by one of the parks? I think it having more than one stop would be much better, then it would fuction as it was originally intended, like actual public transportation.
    1. Frances' Ladybug Boogie is shut down because of serious mechanical problems, which apparently baffle maintenance (Tokyo doesn't have the same problems, even though they have the same ride). A Mouseplanet update in April, 2004, stated the following:

Why Francis won't Boogie

After experiencing numerous mechanical problems, Disney has quietly closed the Francis' Lady Bug Boogie attraction not even a year after Flik's Fun Fair opened at Disney's California Adventure park. One of the land's five carnival-style rides, the ladybug-shaped ride vehicles have been removed from their turntables, and a construction wall surrounds the area.
    A construction wall has closed off the attraction before, once for two weeks last September and again for most of December. MousePlanet contributor David Michael, on this ride's chronic rehab status, said, “There is something mechanical that Disney doesn't like about the ride.” MousePlanet has learned that the ride has been involved in three incidents since November, leading to the decision to close it indefinitely.

A sign notifies park visitors that the attraction is closed. Photo by Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix.
    Francis' Lady Bug Boogie is very similar to The Whirlpool ride at Tokyo DisneySea, and MousePlanet reader CoasterMatt notes that both are a variation of the classic “cuddle up” carnival ride. [DefunctParks.com has information and photos of one such ride at Carsonia Park in Pennsylvania (link).] The ride has five ladybug ride vehicles that move in a figure-8 pattern around two turntables. As the vehicle reaches the center of the figure, it moves between the turntables.
    In the DCA version of the ride, this transition is very noticeable, and the “thrill” of the ride is that your ride vehicle appears to narrowly avoid a collision with another vehicle as it makes this transition. While those who have ridden both Disney versions say the Tokyo ride is very smooth, with an undetectable transition, DCA cast members report that riders often thought their vehicle had been struck, as it makes a bumpy connection to the next turntable.
    Francis' problems began in November with such a complaint. This time, however, it seemed that the guest was right. A cast member says that it was obvious even before the engineers arrived to inspect the ride that there was something very wrong—one of the ride vehicles was wobbling freely on its base. Nobody was injured, and the ride was closed for repairs.
    A few days after the ride reopened, the ride operator E-stopped—that is, made an emergency stop on—the ride because they thought they saw something fly from under one of the ride vehicles during a ride cycle. Again, nobody was injured, and the ride was closed for another inspection.

A Francis' Lady Bug Boogie ride car, back when it was in operation. MousePlanet file photo.
    During that inspection, the engineers reportedly determined that a “known wear” part—a part that is scheduled for routine replacement—on the base unit was “failing,” or wearing out, much faster than it should. Sources informed MousePlanet that this particular part was scheduled to be replaced every six months, but was instead failing every two to four weeks. The ride was closed for most of December while four of the vehicles were refurbished. When the ride reopened just before Christmas, the fifth ladybug car was covered with a fabric cover, and cast members were instructed not to load passengers into it.
    The final straw came in early March, when another passenger complained that their vehicle had collided with the covered vehicle during the ride cycle. Although there was no evidence of a collision—no scuffed paint, no wobbling ladybugs—Disney decided to close the ride indefinitely rather than risk another accident.
    To date, the state Division of Occupational Safety and Health has not received any reports or complaints about the ride. A DOSH spokesman noted, however, that Disney is only required to report accidents where a passenger or ride operator requires medical attention.
    When we contacted Disneyland, park spokesman Bob Tucker said, “We have identified some opportunities for improving the reliability of the attraction and hope to reopen it this summer once we are completely satisfied it will operate in accordance with the high standards we require.”
    It is unclear why the DCA version of this ride is having so many more problems than its Tokyo counterpart, or if the problems can be repaired without completely replacing the ride. For now, Francis' Lady Bug Boogie joins Superstar Limo in DCA's “closed indefinitely” lineup.

2. The Monorail station right next to the Disneyland hotel is in the same place it's always been -- it's just called the Downtown Disney station, and what used to be the larger lobby of the hotel was moved back in the 2001 Downtown Disney construction. The monorail still stops at the same spot, and you can walk to the Disneyland hotel from the stop.

• Disney worshipper/geek

1. Wow, Frogberto, talk about knowing the answer to a question. Thanks much!!!
    2. I totally didn't even notice that it was in the same geographic location, not it all makes a bit more sense. Thank you as well NyYankFanKen.
    My mind won't rest
    and I don't sleep
    Not even in my dreams...
    -"If You Ever Did Believe"
    written by Stevie Nicks

Chasen Matthew Pacheco
    1985-2005