Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Snappy
    Don't let a few fool you....the ride was not that good and you could walk on (no waiting) during any part of the day, even the busiest days. It might have been neat when it first opened, but it did not age well. I remember the "cardboard" cutouts as well. As far as I am concerned, anything would have been better.

I'm not out to bash anyones warm-fuzzies about this ride, but if you look at it objectively, it wasnt special. Now, as for being a good place to make-out, that's a no-brainer
    Well, as someone who has lived in the OC most of his life, lemme tell you, an omnimover is one of the most efficient ride vehicles. Buzz is brand new, and on one of the busiest days I've ever seen in the park, I got on in less than 20 minutes. Just the same, I was never able to walk right on ATIS, even as it passed the 15 year old mark.

Built when it was, it was one of the first Disney rides to really have a queue that begins the story. It was incredibly immersive. And your eyes are immediately drawn to the Mighty Microscope, and the Atom Mobiles shrinking before your eyes. It was an incredibly convincing illusion, and prepared you for the amajing adventure you were about to take.

Yes, it could have stood for some updated special effects, just like Matterhorn, PotC, HM, and others have gotten. Heck, look how often Jungle Cruise has been expanded and updated. Compare that to Star Tours, which also hasn't been upgraded in over 15 years, and the general cry for a new film for that attraction. It's not an inherently bad ride, it just needs a little TLC, and the same was true of ATIS.
    See, George Lucas? I'm not the only one! [<-- i.e. this is not my site]
    78 Reasons To Hate Star Wars Episode 1

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

• Banned User

Oh My God.

Adventure Through Inner Space is my favorite extinct Disneyland attraction of all time. Oh how I wish they would bring this attraction back somewhere in a Disney park. With all of today's technology they could really make this attractions AMAZING. How cool is the concept of being shruken down and touring a Snowflake at the molecular and atomic level? Fun and educational at the same time!!! When I was a small kid (and I mean like 3 years old) man I really thought we were shrinking and floating around. I also really believed that those were really shrunken people and omnimovers in the giant microscope, and that scared me too! And Paul Frees narration scared me! Ye,t as I grew up I was completely intrigued by this attraction. Fortunately, I got to ride it one last time in December of 1984, when I was 16 years old (three years before you were born, little one!) before it closed forever in 1985.

"(Newsflash music) You are about to begin your adventure through inner space. We hope this remarkable journey will bring you closer to the adventures experienced daily by men of science."

"For centuries, man had but his own two eyes to explore the wonders of his world. Then he invented the microscope - a mighty eye - and discovered the fantastic universe beyond the limits of his own meager sight.

!!!!
    Last edited by Adventurer; 05-03-2005 at 05:05 PM.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Snappy
    Don't let a few fool you....the ride was not that good and you could walk on (no waiting) during any part of the day, even the busiest days. It might have been neat when it first opened, but it did not age well. I remember the "cardboard" cutouts as well. As far as I am concerned, anything would have been better.

I'm not out to bash anyones warm-fuzzies about this ride, but if you look at it objectively, it wasnt special. Now, as for being a good place to make-out, that's a no-brainer
    First, they were not cardboard cut outs. Second, it was a fantastic concept. Third, yes, people near the end of it's life were more obessed with thrill rides and Disney suits didn't bother to think that this ride could have been updated.

ATIS is a lost Disney attraction classic.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12