Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Adventure Thru Inner Space

Hey guys...sorry if this is posted somewhere else or seems like a dumb question but, I was born in '87 so I was not born in time to experience this ride. What was it? Was it like Star Tours at all? Or was it more of a dark ride?

• Minion

It was like any other dark ride. Think of Haunted Mantion (same kinda buggies) but instead of a cool house, you get shrunk down and see rotating cardboard snowflakes.

There is a web page that has video and a 3D re-creation of it. Im sure someone will post it.

• Minion

They were not cardboard.

http://www.themightymicroscope.com
    My fondest memory of Walt Disney was the day Disneyland opened....I was standing next to him - I was 12 years old - he was looking at the gate where people were coming through, he had his hands behind his back, he had a grin from ear to ear, but you could see the lump in his throat and the tear coming down his cheek because his dream had been realized. -- Mouseketeer Sharon Baird, "Mouseke-Memories", Walt Disney Treasures: The Mickey Mouse Club

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by SilentBob66
    They were not cardboard.
    OK. Find. Corigated fiber board. You and your fancy WDI terms.

Now the puppets in IASM are DEFINITLY cardboard!

• Senior Minion

I would check out the sight that Silent Bob suggested it should be good. I have the Virtual ride through on Dvd that that Steve offers on the site it is great. Italked to him a little and it took quite a while to get this together. I hope you enjoy it.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

It was, by far, the best place to kiss a girl when I was in junior high.

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries
    Does anyone have an actual video of the ride?

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

There is an actual video of the ride (www.extinct-attractions-club.com) but the copy I have (there may be an updated version) is dark during the inside portion, to the point of not being able to see anything at all, except the flashing nucleus and the big eye.

The audio is there and there are a lot of extras that make it worth the while. But if you're interested in what the thing looked like from the inside, the CGI rendition is far and away superior.
    "Say, uh, ever hear of the devil's paint pots? Real mystery of the desert. Bubblin' pots of mud in all kinds of colors."

• Be-Bop Bear

Avondale, AZ (but wishing I was in Anaheim...)
    Quote Originally Posted by SilentBob66
    I have this DVD and I highly recommend it. My partner (or as I like to call him, Mr. Anti-Disney) watched the whole thing and loved it.
    "George Bush... is only for now."
    Avenue Q

Just because it's gone doesn't mean I changed my mind!

• Ohhh baboo :(

10 miles from the DLR. AP Holder for 9 years.
    Woah, that was cool! My husband told me he remembers going on some ride where there's a giant eye that looks at you and you shrink, and I always told him, "UR CRAZY YOU BIG FREAK", but now it's not true!

I see the light.

• Minion

Yeah, my personal Holy Grail of Disney rides is the Sub Ride, but to my sister it is ATIS. The thing I remember most was, it really expanded your mind.

I know this will sound a little blasphemous to some, and I partly agree, but since most people who have been on HISTA hate it, couldn't they take it out, but use the basic Honey story as an entrypoint into a new ATIS? The basic show would return with modern special effects, and Rick Moranis doing the narration,. And of course, it is his giant eye we see at the end.
    See, George Lucas? I'm not the only one! [<-- i.e. this is not my site]
    78 Reasons To Hate Star Wars Episode 1

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

• Ohhh baboo :(

10 miles from the DLR. AP Holder for 9 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by ModHatter
    Yeah, my personal Holy Grail of Disney rides is the Sub Ride, but to my sister it is ATIS. The thing I remember most was, it really expanded your mind.

I know this will sound a little blasphemous to some, and I partly agree, but since most people who have been on HISTA hate it, couldn't they take it out, but use the basic Honey story as an entrypoint into a new ATIS? The basic show would return with modern special effects, and Rick Moranis doing the narration,. And of course, it is his giant eye we see at the end.
    Oh yeah I totally forgot about HISTA!!! I don't even really notice what's in that space everytime I go to DL. What's in there now? Nothing?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by viewaskewniverse
    Oh yeah I totally forgot about HISTA!!! I don't even really notice what's in that space everytime I go to DL. What's in there now? Nothing?
    Yep, nothing... HISTA still shows there.
    See, George Lucas? I'm not the only one! [<-- i.e. this is not my site]
    78 Reasons To Hate Star Wars Episode 1

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

• MCP Warrior Elite

Don't let a few fool you....the ride was not that good and you could walk on (no waiting) during any part of the day, even the busiest days. It might have been neat when it first opened, but it did not age well. I remember the "cardboard" cutouts as well. As far as I am concerned, anything would have been better.

I'm not out to bash anyones warm-fuzzies about this ride, but if you look at it objectively, it wasnt special. Now, as for being a good place to make-out, that's a no-brainer

• Social Imagineer

Sorry to disagree with Mr. Snappy, but Adventure thru Inner Space was simply the best ride in the Park below the E-Ticket level.

Paul Freeman's narration tops his work in The Haunted Mansion, the psychenautic aura of the experience was and remains unparalleled, and -yes- the make-out opportunities were top-notch.

It was no more of a walk-on near the end of its time than its replacement, Star Tours, would now be if it were a people-eating omnimover omnivore. The theme song was one of the funniest ditties ever penned by the Sherman Brothers. The sets were very cleverly done. Sorry if some people just don't get it, but a ride does not remain a cult-level beloved cherished memory fetish nearly 20 years after its demise unless it was something quite special.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast