Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Closed Account

What ever happened to the Adventureland Steel Drum Band?

I was going through my Disney CD collection last night and came across a CD that was the Disneyland Steel Drum Band. Those guy used to play ontop of the Jungle Cruise exit que!

What ever happned to those guys? Every time I pass through Adventureland I always look up to see empty space! I miss those guys!

• FastPass n00b

Re: What ever happened to the Adventureland Steel Drum Band?

I remember them, they played a spot-on rendition of "Under the Sea" in 1990. Man, those small Disney moments are the things I remember, not which AA got added where.

No Music In Disneyland seems to be a rule now. Jay Rasulo looks at the PowerPoint slides and spreadsheets and sees that people are enjoying themselves by spending 10.2 hours in the park and obtaining 8.17 rides a day and figures there is no need for musicians who create the atmosphere that is so classically Disney.

But seriously though, I really miss these guys. They added a pure Carribbean feel that made it feel like a tropical paradise more than a theme park with trees.
    Last edited by Athlonacon; 08-15-2006 at 01:40 PM.

I was just thinking about them the other day. While I can't answer your question I just wanted to say that I miss them too.

They cancelled them shortly after they installed FastPass on Indiana Jones. With FastPass on Indy pumping in thousands of more people per day through the area, Adventureland can no longer handle people pausing in the walkways to listen to the band.

• Minion

I remember a band called "Alturas", and I just loved them. (Peru I think)
    It was so exciting walking through Adventureland when they played, and it helped keep your mind off the deteriorated Tiki Room! Glad thats fixed for sure, but I still look up there when I pass by, and remember that beautiful music. I could swear they were in Downtown Disney last year.
    Goin around the world...and back to Disneyland!

• The one, the only...

I thought that band was FANTASTIC! I loved going through Adventureland with them playing. It was one of those Disney changes that was an "upgrade" to the atmosphere of the land. I was sad to see them go. It is too bad that Disney is now cutting back even more on street bands. I think that the live music really adds a lot!
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

Oh man, I miss those guys. They were the coolest!

• Lowering Expectations

What was the name of the CD? D'you think it can still be found somewheres? (like eBay )
    Follow news-savvy @DLtoday on Twitter by clicking on the banner below:

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

I really miss them, too. In the land that is quite often packed with humanity, the steel drum band is the music that sooths the savage beast.

• Practically Magic

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Athlonacon
    I remember them, they played a spot-on rendition of "Under the Sea" in 1990. Man, those small Disney moments are the things I remember, not which AA got added where.
    Exactly! One of my most vivid memories of Disneyland was hearing their fantastic rendition of "Under the Sea" and thinking how much I liked it before the crowds pushed us out of Adventureland.

• Down Pluto!

Yeah, move them and Alturas into the space now infested with that inane Aladdin and Jasmine show. At least you can take your kids in there and get exposed to something of cultural value as well as enjoyable. Neither of which applies to the current "storytelling"...

Quote Originally Posted by 2DieFR
    What was the name of the CD? D'you think it can still be found somewheres? (like eBay )
    I don't know the name of their CD, but I'm pretty sure the Alturas one is still sold in the music shop on Main St.

The Steel Drum music is also featured on one of the earlier (if not, the earliest ever) Official Soundtrack of DL/WDW, the one with the nighttime cover showing the Electrical Parade, originally sold on vinyl and later on CD in limited release. It's just a short song, but it gives you a great idea of what it was like to walk thru Adventureland and hear them while browsing the shrunken heads at Tropical Imports!

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by JiminyCricketFan
    I thought that band was FANTASTIC! I loved going through Adventureland with them playing. It was one of those Disney changes that was an "upgrade" to the atmosphere of the land. I was sad to see them go. It is too bad that Disney is now cutting back even more on street bands. I think that the live music really adds a lot!
    Actually all the goofy bands are now appearing in DTD hocking their wares! There is always the South American band that plays infront of ESPN...not too bad! Than there is some dude playing his electronic violin usually infront of Libby Lius or across from LLs. He makes me want to killy myself (or him!) I once heard a 13 year old boy tell his friends as he was walking passed the artist, "This is suicide music!" Laughed my *** off!

Bring back the Adventureland Steel Drum Band NOW!!!!!!!

• Neep meep beep

The Downtown Disney performers are sometimes hit and miss, but they definitely add an "atmosphere" to the area. Likewise, Disneyland used to have great atmosphere music, even going back to the "Dixieland at Disneyland" Jazz series, and with some talented musicians all over the park. It's a shame that this area is also feeling the cutbacks. Seems to me it's cheaper to pay 1-5 musicians their daily rate than operate those expensive attractions, but as others have noted here, it really adds to the experience, in a very positive way.

The tall guy in the center of that photo...his name is Derek. I got to meet all of them but got to know him pretty well. He was a wild man!

They started out just being a temporary gig, and were over here working for Disney on a temporary Work Visa. Their gig was extended several times. I'm guessing that either their Work Visa expired and could no longer be extended...or Disney just decided they didn't need them anymore.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast