Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Lowering Expectations

Re: COMPLAINT REPORT: Temple of the Broken Ride, Haunted Mansion, Disney's Gum Advent

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage
    Let's hope that the Disney park managers are reading these threads so they know what to fix first.
    I'm positive DL is well aware of most of it, although it sure wouldn't hurt management to peek around MC once in a while. It does seem like somethimes DL management would love to plus the park, if only they knew where needed the fixing. Nothing goes past this crowd, not even gum in HM like pineapplewhipaddict was talking about. We are the nitpickiest crowd of them all!
    Follow news-savvy @DLtoday on Twitter by clicking on the banner below:

• U. B. Bold

Re: COMPLAINT REPORT: Temple of the Broken Ride, Haunted Mansion, Disney's Gum Advent

Quote Originally Posted by 2DieFR
    Nothing goes past this crowd, not even gum in HM like pineapplewhipaddict was talking about. We are the nitpickiest crowd of them all!
    lol

Aint that the truth. Mrs. Thunder was asking me about some obscure Disneyland info the other day that I said I got from Mice Chat. She said, "really? They talk about that stuff there?" I said, "you kidding? If they repaint a trash can on Main Street there'll be a 10 page thread about it".

But back to the topic...

Disneyland maintainance seems to spread very thin these days and I know its not uncommon for them to turn off and/or alter ride effects to save on time and money. The problem is that they just don't have the manpower or the budget to keep these attractions up and running as designed. Its like asking a Qlube mechanic to fine tune a Farrari. Aint gonna happen.

Once again it comes back to management and their chronic inability to see the forest for the trees. If you want state-of-the-art attractions you must be willing to pay for state-of-the-art maintainance. Things break and need to be fixed. Things get dirty and need to be cleaned. Not budgeting for these inevitabilities just makes it more expensive in the long run and greatly tarnishes the guest experience.

Oh, and lets not make excuses for them like "its been so busy" or "the turn over has been so high". We pay our hard earned cash for magic, damn it! Not for gum, dirty attractions and broken effects. TDA needs to get a loud and clear message from their loyal customers: Fix it or make way for those who will.
    Please visit my Big Thunder/Disney Inspired Model Railroad

Dream big. Do what you love.

• Vehicle rotating backward

Re: COMPLAINT REPORT: Temple of the Broken Ride, Haunted Mansion, Disney's Gum Adventure

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey
    Maybe I'm the only one who notices, but it really kills the atmosphere when I can see the ceiling tiles in the Load Area (Limbo) and in the Graveyard. Another problem is the fact that CMs kill every ounce of mood and setting when they yell out "2 or 3 guests per Buggy!" I understand why they do it, because people are too busy chatting to listen when the Ghost Host tell them, but its really just bad.
    So, you want them to stop yelling instructions. The alternative to that is a sign and that won't do because they won't be able to read it in the darker room that you want.

See where I'm going?

Aren't we supposed to believe that we're outside in the middle of a haunted evening? Seeing the ceiling doesn't allow me to believe any of that.
    In a related complaint, it appears that Mr. Toad's world looks a lot like plywood! The ceiling is not painted neon pink. You won't notice it unless you actually go looking for it.

I suppose this is simply an effect of the scrim being so visible, though, and yeah, that needs to be fixed.

• Earth Intruder

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    So, you want them to stop yelling instructions. The alternative to that is a sign and that won't do because they won't be able to read it in the darker room that you want.

See where I'm going?
    That's sort of a false dilemma argument isn't it? A dark sign in a dark room is not the only alternative.

However, I don't know how much, if anything, needs to be said about that.
    The HM had two or three per buggy, without someone screaming it at the top of their lungs, for DECADES. How do you think that was possible? Because the ghost host spiel says it? (Doubtful.)

In a related complaint, it appears that Mr. Toad's world looks a lot like plywood! The ceiling is not painted neon pink. You won't notice it unless you actually go looking for it.

I suppose this is simply an effect of the scrim being so visible, though, and yeah, that needs to be fixed.
    Mr. Toad IS plywood, that's part of the charm of the ride. Mansion on the other hand kills the mood when you can see spit wads on the ceiling tiles, holes where the Nightmare Before Christmas stuff gets drilled into the wall, the string holding up leota's ball, etc. etc.

Mansion certainly got the lighting MUCH better than it was for like, the month after it came back up this year, when Leota's string was plain as the day.
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Re: COMPLAINT REPORT: Temple of the Broken Ride, Haunted Mansion, Disney's Gum Adventure

See where I'm going?
    No, I don't see where youre going. Maybe I just have a bad memory, but I dont recall hearing CMs yelling "2-3 Per Buggy" at the top of their lungs, killing every ouce of tone and setting up until recently. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think that this is a relatively recent phenomenon. And if there were a sign, how hard would it be to have a flickering "candle" light illuminating it?

The problem with the graveyard is that as I'm travelling through in my Buggy and I spot the high-placed bright green EXIT sign in the distance my eyes then notice the gray ceiling tiles up above, then they see where the scrim meets those gray ceiling tiles.

Just because I'm a frequent Disneylander and I spot these things doesnt mean that other people don't. I'm not saying that everybody is going to notice it, or that its absolutely urgent... But if you're able to visibly see the ceiling tiles and the scrim meeting those ceiling tiles, Leota's strings, the strings holding the instruments in the Seance Circle, or the big HOLES in the ceiling where those instruments' strings come from... it means the lighting isn't right. Simple as that.

Its like being able to see the brick wall behind the Wicked Wench in Pirates of the Caribbean. Since the refurb, you can't see it anymore with the adjusted lighting and new fog... but before, it was dang easy to see that brick wall, killing any feeling of depth.

If you're saying that allowing the Mansion to lose its believablility just beceause everybody knows theyre in a big room anyway is okay and to just let the lighting be wrong everywhere - then I really suggest you start visiting other themeparks where consistency, storytelling, and make-believability isn't a concern.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Banned User

Couldn't agree with you more, MasterGracey.

Indiana Jones will get fixed soon enough, but Haunted Mansion has been looking like crap for months, if not already a year.

Its in such a bad state now that I am literally shocked by the way it looks. Everything, just everything, looks so horrible: The Stretching Rooms, the Loading Area, the Ballroom Scene (Attic looks OK), and, worst of all, the Graveyard.

The Haunted Mansion is not just only dated, it's a pathetic, weak, and disappointing attraction right now in New Orleans Square - and it has been that way for months.

• Banned User

MasterGracey, though, what is wrong with the HM sign?
    I don't see anything wrong with it.
    (Photo from Manabyte's Photo Thread.)

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

I didn't say anything was wrong with the sign. I was just pointing out that they're advertising the new HalloweenTime events. And that's a good thing, because it hopefully means that this is going to be something worthwhile!

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Banned User

I didn't say anything was wrong with the sign. I was just pointing out that they're advertising the new HalloweenTime events. And that's a good thing, because it hopefully means that this is going to be something worthwhile!
    Oh ok!

Sorry, I thought you meant that the sign had a spelling mistake in it.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

• Banned User

Sad Re: COMPLAINT REPORT: Temple of the Broken Ride, Haunted Mansion, Disney's Gum Adventure

I am with all of you all the way about maintenance! I am VERY disappointed too about all that has been discussed in this thread. I must also add that attention needs to be focused on It's a Small World as well. I was hoping to see ALL of the Audio Animatronics dolls and animals operating on my last visit a week ago. Alas, the three Beigian geese are only one goose and the hula girls in the grass skirts (5) are only three. I also think that the hand rails everywhere need to cleaned, too! Just my opinion!

• Popular Princess

Quote Originally Posted by Ex-SmallWorld CM
    I am with all of you all the way about maintenance! I am VERY disappointed too about all that has been discussed in this thread. I must also add that attention needs to be focused on It's a Small World as well. I was hoping to see ALL of the Audio Animatronics dolls and animals operating on my last visit a week ago. Alas, the three Beigian geese are only one goose and the hula girls in the grass skirts (5) are only three. I also think that the hand rails everywhere need to cleaned, too! Just my opinion!
    there has been 1 goose (instead of 3) for a few years now. i can't understand why this is the case. i do have to agree, though, that quite a few dolls are not working. it's disappointing!
    I'd rather be at Disneyland

• Vehicle rotating backward

But if you're able to visibly see the ceiling tiles and the scrim meeting those ceiling tiles, Leota's strings, the strings holding the instruments in the Seance Circle, or the big HOLES in the ceiling where those instruments' strings come from... it means the lighting isn't right. Simple as that.
    That makes sense.

This all must be quite recent. I was there at the end of May and not only did I not remember anyone yelling at the top of their lungs, I DO remember being wowed by the seance room.

Alas, there is no such thing as "believability" when it comes to the HM. The whole thing is about whimsical fiction. While I would like to see maintenance correct the lighting, I don't think they need to go over the edge on outdoors decoration, any more than they always have.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage
    First, a big thank you to both MasterGracey and Sadako for their accounts of maintenance problems at the parks. While there are clearly problem areas, I'm surprised how well Disneyland has held up under the huge crowds this year. I urge all to keep in mind that the parks always suffer by the end of summer. Long hours, huge crowds, and a lack of ride closures during busy seasons all lead to the end of Summer being the height of Disneyland's maintenance problems.

The good news is that the Fall and early Spring is typically the time of renewal. Attractions begin to close for their refurbs, and budgets get approved for upgrades, painting, etc.

Now, I don't want any of you to think that I condone problems with the attractions. I do think that there should be enough graveyard maintenance staff to keep attractions in tip top condition, but that hasn't been the case these past 10 years or so. But we should expect to see great improvement as soon as Summer ends.

Let's hope that the Disney park managers are reading these threads so they know what to fix first.

-Dusty
    Amen!

Very sad to see everything going downhill. Maybe when the 50th is over, and when they're taking things down, that's when things will start getting fixed again...

• Banned User

Days and Days of operation from summer always takes its tole on the parks. Things will most likely be cleaned up as soon as everyone has gone back to work and school. Once the hours shorten, they will have more time to work on these nagging issues. Just don't complain when a lot of the rides are down this Winter!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast