Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

• Professional Chocoholic

Re: COMPLAINT REPORT: Temple of the Broken Ride, Haunted Mansion, Disney's Gum Adventure

Quote Originally Posted by girrrtacos
    Exactly. Its sad, especcially when people only go about once a year because of the price.
    Once a YEAR??? ROTFL Try once every few years because of the cost, and we live in central California. Must be nice to go more often than that... I'll never know.

• Professional Chocoholic

Re: COMPLAINT REPORT: Temple of the Broken Ride, Haunted Mansion, Disney's Gum Adventure

I think it's important to separate crowd-related issues from general maintenance, and to recognize that some things are a combination of increased guests and decreased CMs.

The 50th brought increased traffic and caused some problems (Indy pole and rope, more gum under things, etc.) but did NOT cause the dirty restaurant curtains or non-working IASW figures. Some, like people spitting on HM glass and scrims, or throwing clothing on Brer Bear, are caused by both.

Someone had thrown clothing on the same hanging Brer Bear when I was there Sept. 2005, and it was there for days -- more guests means these things are more likely to happen, and not enough CMs means it's more likely to not get fixed in a timely manner.

Considering how many things were supposedly fixed in advance of the 50th, like IASW, I'm disappointed that so many non-guest-related things in the park are failing or just plain dirty.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    Alas, there is no such thing as "believability" when it comes to the HM. The whole thing is about whimsical fiction. While I would like to see maintenance correct the lighting, I don't think they need to go over the edge on outdoors decoration, any more than they always have.
    There isn't an ounce of believeability in the ideas behind any attraction at Disneyland - but the magic of Disneyland is that the attractions are created to immerse you in an alternate reality. In attractions like the Haunted Mansion, Pirates of the Caribbean, Tower of Terror, the Matterhorn, Star Tours, etc.. you're supposed to be so immersed, so deeply involved in the experience that you BELIEVE that you are actually in a haunted house, a haunted hotel, sailing through a bombarded Caribbean town, on your way to the exotic Moon of Endor, or having a close call with the Abominable Snowman as you go on a bobsled ride through the Matterhorn mountain.

Why else do you think Disney has themed attractions? Just to spend lots of money? No, they create these themed experiences to take us to a different time and place, they create these experiences so we can believe we're truly in a haunted graveyard in the deep south, really on a tour of the Temple of the Forbidden Eye, really boarding a Starspeeder 3000 about to be launched into deep space on our way to an exotic planet.

If you think that the Haunted Mansion isn't supposed to accomplish anything that I've just described, then I truly believe that you're so, so wrong.

And that's why issues like the ones that I pointed out and ones that Sadako and other MiceChatters note on these forums are important to maintaining the believeability of these attractions, locales, and areas of the parks. Without the details, we'd just be in another run-of-the-mill half-hearted amusement park.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• The one, the only...

^^^ ABSOLUTELY! Great post MasterGracey! I have always felt that the exterior is part of the "pre-show." In fact, I think the whole land that an attraction resides is part of the pre-show. Disney does not sell cans of beans in which we only care about the contents of the can! Disney is selling illusion, fantasy and immersion. Every detail matters. It all adds up to a great experience. When details are lost, when they are removed, the experience is weakened. Other amusement parks have themed attractions that may or may not have anything to do with each other. Walt Diseny was the first to conceive of coordinating all those themes to produce a complete experience. Alas, some today in Disney management, do not understand that.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234