Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

COMPLAINT REPORT: Temple of the Broken Ride, Haunted Mansion, Disney's Gum Adventure

Ususally I post picutres of things I spot around the resort... New construction walls, new signage, new merch... Through all of this, I usually fail to notice the ugly... Sure, I'll spot the obvious stuff, but usually its never too notceable to worry about, especially during the whole 50th Anniversary celebration.

Unfortunately, however, I've been noticing a very slow, but steady decline in park maitenance lately. Maybe this can be attributed to two summers of exceptionally big crowds, the revolving door of Cast Members, or maybe even to the recent shuffle of management... But what is clearly obvious is the declining state of the parks...

I suppose what I'm getting at is that I forgot my camera when I went to the park yesterday, so instead of snapping pictures of the construction walls back up near Club Buzz in Tomorrowland, or the new Halloween decorations in Frontierland, I instead took mental notes of some of the bad show I saw around the parks.

Now, allow me to complain for a bit...

INDIANA JONES ADVENTURE:
    TEMPLE OF THE BROKEN ATTRACTION
    MiceChat's very own Sadako has been chronicling the very quick, very recent decline of Indiana Jones Adventure. I normally pass up Indy when I visit the parks because I'm too impatient to wait in the line. I love the ride, but it isnt a must-do like the Mansion or Pirates for me... Anyway, I went on Indy yesterday as I was visiting with a group of friends who dont get to frequent the parks that often, and I was amazed at the bad show throughout. Maybe its just because I'm a nerd, but it had to be bad - I've NEVER felt so strongly as to want to walk down to City Hall and file a formal complaint before. I didn't get the chance to, because we were on a tight schedule yesterday, but boy did I want to.
    Sadako's thread on this issue is a good place to go if you haven't heard about the problems with this attraction. Both major interactive elements of the queue are now completely defunct, the rope-in-the-well looks like it may be gone for good, and the bamboo pole isn't working - again. As for the ride, the lighting and rotating doors in the Chamber of Destiny are simply just not working at all. Yesterday, Mara told my Jeep that we had chosen wisely - our path led to timeless youth and beauty - all in darkness. Mara's eyes did not light up. There was not atmosphere lighting in the chamber, nothing. Even though we should have been going through the Fountain of Youth door, we went through the Treasure door. Once we went through the door, the room was lit properly to match the Fountain of Youth destiny, but Mara's eyes weren't smoking as they normally do, and a couple weak flashes of the strobe were all we got as Mara told us that our path now led to the Gates of Doom.
    For the most part, the attraction was normal after that. But the ever-underimpressive smoke screen with the rats jumping onto the Jeep transport from the tree root was a bigger joke than ever. Even though the Jeep stalled before going into the show scene, the smoke screen was still forming, and the projection could barely be seen.
    What I was pleased with, was that the final Indy animatronic wasn't extremely shaky as he has been in the past few months in the few times that I have been on the ride. I remember passing Indy a few times in the recent past and thinking that the thing was about to collapse right there. I don't know if it was just a fluke, but the animatronic was working as good as can be expected and wasn't shaky at all. So I guess that's good.

HAUNTED LIGHTING
    The Haunted Mansion, my favorite attraction, frustrates me like no other with one simple problem: lighting. Disney needs to arrange a way to get consistant lighting in the attraction. Maybe I'm the only one who notices, but it really kills the atmosphere when I can see the ceiling tiles in the Load Area (Limbo) and in the Graveyard. Another problem is the fact that CMs kill every ounce of mood and setting when they yell out "2 or 3 guests per Buggy!" I understand why they do it, because people are too busy chatting to listen when the Ghost Host tells them, but its really just bad.
    The scrim throughout the attraction is a disaster. I don't know if Disney thinks that its just not that obvious, but seeing tears, runs, and loogies on the scrim in the graveyard is way more noticeable than they'd like to admit. It isn't just something they can ignore anymore: it's gotten to the point of BAD SHOW. The scrim isn't something that you should be able to notice in the Haunted Mansion. It's supposed to give an ethereal quality to the show scenes - to make the ghosts look more ghostly. If you actually notice it's there, it just looks like its some weird screen that Disney put up so people wouldnt be able to walk into the show scenes if they hopped off their Doom Buggies.
    Another big problem of mine is that you can clearly see where the scrim meets the ceiling of the graveyard and see all of the ceiling tiles. Aren't we supposed to believe that we're outside in the middle of a haunted evening? Seeing the ceiling doesn't allow me to believe any of that. Also, as you exit the Attic window and enter the graveyard, I shouldn't be able to clearly see that strings are holding up the tree's branches/arms.
    There is a new sign at the exit to the Mansion though, promoting the new Disney's HalloweenTime. Sorry, this photo is so bad, it was taken with my Sidekick and the lighting made the picture turn out really bad. I tried to fix it in Photoshop, but it just wasn't workin'...

The sign reads:
    Hurry Back...
    Disney's HalloweenTime
    September 29
    thru
    October 31
    A spook-tacular
    new season.
    at
    Disneyland Resort

DISNEY'S GUM ADVENTURE
    Maybe it was because it was the end of the day, and the custodial CMs just hadn't gotten to it, but take a stroll through California Adventure's entry plaza and look at the ground. So much gum it's depressing. Isn't one of the big things that Walt wanted was that there'd be no gum littering his parks' floors? Hmm. Maybe it just doesn't apply to DCA since the park is more-or-less regarded as the anti-Walt park.
    How sad.

SOARIN' OVER DIRT
    This isn't a new issue, but its certainly an issue that STILL hasn't been addressed by Disney even though they know it's a problem. The IMAX screens over at Soarin' Over California are so filty it's disgusting. Not to mention, the film itself isn't hiding its age very well. It's getting grainy, shaky, and dirty. Starting the ride off with a blinding white screen fading into clouds isn't a dramatic, mood-setting take-off like the Imagineers had planned for with dirt, spit, and who knows what else mucking up the screen.
    Somebody needs to get in there and fix this - it's out gotten of control.

GREEN CONE GRAVEYARD
    We parked in the structure yesterday, but when I do park in the Timon lot and have to be subjected to seeing the Timon tram stop with all of the green cones and yellow bumps, it's saddening. Not only is this whole area deprived of any magic whatsoever, it's also a maitenance-neglected area. Gum everywhere, burnt out light bulbs in the strings of ugly lighting outside, green cones with chipped-off paint... It's ugly. It's unmagical. It's tacky. Who's bright idea was it to have the most unimaginative area EVER be the first thing a lot of guests see when entering the Resort? It's pathetic.

BUZZ LIGHTYEAR ASTROTURF
    The linoleum in the halls of the Buzz Lightyear queue and exit hall needs to be fixed. It's bubbling up, and could probably become a saftey issue if it's allowed to get worse.

...Well, that's all that I've got. I know there was more I spotted, but I can't remember. I know this is just a big thread of complaining, but I needed to vent, and since I didn't get the opportunity to write a formal complaint about some of these issues yesterday, I thought this might be the next best step since I doubt that a cookie-cutter response from the Disneyland.com comment/complaint form isn't going to help anything. So here's hoping that Disney sees that things like this are noticed, even it is just by another AP holder...
    Last edited by MasterGracey; 08-17-2006 at 07:01 AM. Reason: spelling, grammar

• Disney for life!~

Re: COMPLAINT REPORT: Temple of the Broken Ride, Haunted Mansion, Disney's Gum Adventure

=(

• I'm not really here

Re: COMPLAINT REPORT: Temple of the Broken Ride, Haunted Mansion, Disney's Gum Advent

I'm pretty sure you nailed the reasons pretty well...

Two summers of huge crowds due to the 50th.
    Massive amounts of turnover in CM's
    Management changing hands

Hopefully things will settle down quickly now that the 50th is wrapping up.
    I agree so completely about the scrims in HM. It used to be really hard to see them, but now they are fairly obvious. Even my 10 year old niece pointed them out and instantly knew how the effect was being done. That is very bad show.

During the week we were there, we rode Pooh a lot as we had some kids with us. That part where Pooh appears to float out of his body into the Heffalumps dream place... there was a HUGE greasy hand print on the mirror there. It stayed there all week long and REALLY destroyed an otherwise cool effect. We told them after the 3rd day, but 2 days later it was still there. How long would it take to get a cloth and wipe it off?

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Winter in Oceanside...

Re: COMPLAINT REPORT: Temple of the Broken Ride, Haunted Mansion, Disney's Gum Adventure

Wow. What a depressing thread. True... but depressing. Let's hope things are taken care of during the "off" season.

I am pretty sure in the original Indy thread it was mentioned that the rope will be back sometime after labor day has passed. It has been stated now twice that it looks like it will be gone for good, mainly since the sign is missing. I bet the sign was either: stolen or removed by the park. If they continually replace the bamboo pole, why would they not replace the rope, which I assume is FAR cheaper to replace? (I see this becoming a HUGE internet rumor)

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by PinBrian
    I am pretty sure in the original Indy thread it was mentioned that the rope will be back sometime after labor day has passed. It has been stated now twice that it looks like it will be gone for good, mainly since the sign is missing. I bet the sign was either: stolen or removed by the park. If they continually replace the bamboo pole, why would they not replace the rope, which I assume is FAR cheaper to replace? (I see this becoming a HUGE internet rumor)
    Sorry, I had no intention of fueling an internet rumor. I just hadn't had the opportunity to catch up with everything in the Indy thread. It's good to hear it's coming back. Thanks for pointing that out to me.

• Popular Princess

it's sad to watch disneyland fall to pieces like this. here's hoping things start looking up sooner rather than later.
    I'd rather be at Disneyland

•   
    • Minion

Haunted Mansion...

Most of the issues have to do not just with light, but aspects of the black arts... (cutting down on ambiant light, using defused materials which do not reflect light... Clean fresh black paint...)

You can't fudge on these things and expect the same optical issues not to pop up...

Old Films....

Old films aren't just a problem at the attractions you mentioned... But Star Tours, HISTA, Muppets, and a host of other film based attractions...

These films need to be converted to digital projection to insure films do not degrade further...

Celulode deteriorates, if is a fact of cemistry... having them restored only fixes the problem temporarly... Just do it... Switch to digital projection... You will be WAY happier...
    Check out my other blog:

• Neep meep beep

Great report, and I hope that the powers that be in maintenance and management take note -- when your core customers aren't happy, that's a problem.

• Minion

In July we had breakfast at Riverbelle Terrace, and the tops of the drapes were so covered in dust, it looked like a gray toupe.
    You couldn't help but notice it because the curtains are peach colored.
    Some dining areas are clean, and some have those kinds of issues.
    They should have someone walking through inspecting that stuff. Especially when you are sitting right under the window eating food.
    It would be hard to keep a firm handle on these things with the current state of revolving cm's. But Yes, I have noticed some things as well.
    Goin around the world...and back to Disneyland!

• Premium Youngling and

I just hope that once the anniversary ends, Disney will do a MAJOR overhaul with both of the OC resorts. Not only does it ruin the magic of the effects on certain rides but it also takes away from the experience of being at DL. As everybody knows, Disney themeparks is one of the most expensive themeparks to get into. If Im gonna pay 76 dollars to get into a park, I would expect it to be clean and kept up, good thing i have an AP. If I bring in friends and family to a nasty and dirty park, they probably wont want to come back. Disney has really gone down hill in the past couple years, its sad. I really hope this topic will eventually be brought up to Disney management.

O well

Quote Originally Posted by AbominableSnowman1
    If Im gonna pay 76 dollars to get into a park, I would expect it to be clean and kept up, good thing i have an AP.
    Exactly. Its sad, especcially when people only go about once a year because of the price. (Thank goodness I have an AP too )

• Banned User

Also. In splash mountain there was sweat shirt hanging from brer bear when he is on a string being pulled up by brer fox and many waterbottles in the water.

One other item I feel compelled to add is the queue for Soarin'. Take a look at the blue rails throughout once you're in the building. There's almost more bare silver metal showing than blue painted. Has this ever been fixed since the ride opened?

• Married and happy again!!

Excelent report MasterGracey, a sad one but still excelent. I have been worried that this was what was going to happen as the 50th wound down. I hope this is a temporary thing and not the sign of things returning to they way it was at DL in years past. As for what Travelmom noticed at Riverbelle Terrace, well there is even there is even less excusse for this than the things MasterGracey saw. What she saw is just a matter of daily cleaning. The whole reloving CM thing does not excuse this type of thing. I would not expect (or except) to go to my local McDonalds and see things around the tables at which I eat dusty let alone at a place like DL. Shoot I work as a restraunt manager and garenteed I would be ashamed if allowed my store be unclean like that.
    Micechatter #5053 Looking for our new home in the WDW area! We need to get closer to our "Laughing Place"!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast