Any info on this year's Candlelight Processional?? dates/celeb?

We're beginning to form our plans for about 3 families to come down the week following Thanksgiving, and we're wondering whether we should push it back an extra week for the Candlelight Processional, which depends on which celeb is reading. Our first time for the CP was Mary Hart, and we didn't bother to stay and watch. Last year's reading by Dick van Dyke, however, touched even this heartless agnostic. So, if anyone has any info, it would be greatly appreciated, since the sooner we finalize plans, the sooner (and usually cheaper) we can book stuff. Thanks, everyone!

• The one, the only...

Re: Any info on this year's Candlelight Processional?? dates/celeb?

With the change in the President of DL there might not be any action on this yet. I expect that it won't be until October that we will know at the earliest.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• He's a Beautiful Pirate..

Not Close Enough to the House of the Mouse

How does the Candlelight work? Is seating first come? Or, can one get tickets? I'm curious as to who will be there myself.

• Still wants to be a cat!

I went last year....Priority seating is included with a Reservation at a couple of Resteraunts in the Resort. It can run anywhere from $40 to $60 per person, but well worth it! Call Disney Dining for reservatons.
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

• Sun Wheel survivor!

What is this? Could you please explain? thanks

• The one, the only...

This is an old Disneyland tradition that on one weekend a year, a robed choir holding candles "processes" through Main Street to town square. Then a narrator reads the Christmas story accompanied by the choir and orchestra. The narrator is usually a celebrity. There are two performances a day, so a total of four. There is standing room available if you get there early enough, if you don't want to purchase tickets. It is usually the first or second weekend in December.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Neep meep beep

Quote Originally Posted by minnietoo
    What is this? Could you please explain? thanks
    The Disneyland Candlelight Processional is something that's gone on for over 40 years (and that I just found out about this year).

It's taken place in recent years on the first weekend of December, or thereabouts, and it's been held in Main Street's Town Square, and at the Fantasyland theater.

Yes, but so what is it?, you still ask? I've never been, as I mentioned I just heard about it this year. But from what I gather, it's part music, part religious service, part celebrity speakers, and a telling of the Christmas story.

Disney's press release from last year describes it as this:

"The experience includes narration of the traditional Christmas story with a full orchestra and the candlelit procession through Disneyland by a choral ensemble. The ensemble is composed of more than 700 singers including Disneyland cast members and more than 30 different choirs from the greater Southern California area and from communities as far away as Las Vegas, Modesto, and the San Francisco Bay Area.

"Candlelight" has been presented at Disneyland every holiday season since 1958. Past celebrity narrators have included, among many others, Cary Grant, James Earl Jones, Gregory Peck, Olympia Dukakis, Charlton Heston, Henry Fonda, John Wayne and James Stewart."

Some pictures from 2003, to give you an idea:

Processional up Main Street.

Mickey Rooney

The Fantasyland theater all dressed up!

The park has guaranteed seating only if you reserve a package with a dinner reservation (Granvilles was one restaurant last year), and they don't announce this until usually later in the year, late September up until November. If you miss, and they sell out, they do release standby seats after all the reserved seats are filled up, to people waiting outside.

• Oh... it's a bobby pin.

OoooooOoOoOoohhhhHhhhHhHhhH... Yeah. I like that. I wanna go!! DO they have any special things to buy for this event? Special Mickey ears or pins? Cool beans.

To live would be an awfully big adventure.

• B Funk All Star

Also, does anyone know whether the week before the Processional is crowded? Meaning, do people come in from out of town specifically for this event or is it more of an item for the locals?

We are planning a trip to Disneyland either Dec 5-8 or Dec 12-15 but don't want to run into the huge Candlelight Processional crowds.

I called Disneyland and they state they haven't decided on the exact dates of the event (whether it will be Dec 2-3 or Dec 9-10).

I know that we won't be there on the Saturday or Sunday that it is actually taking place. But for those that have been during the first part of December how are the crowds leading up to the event?

We are probably going to go December 5-8 since I would assume the closer you get to the Christmas holidays the more crowded it will get.

Any thoughts or recommendations for this?

Talking Re: Any info on this year's Candlelight Processional?? dates/celeb?

Quote Originally Posted by Illuminations2k
    Also, does anyone know whether the week before the Processional is crowded? Meaning, do people come in from out of town specifically for this event or is it more of an item for the locals?

Last year when I went it did not feel any more crowded than a normal early December crowd. (i.e. light to medium day)

From what I remember DL does not advertise this event all that much.
    Therefore, the people who do go to it either know about it or just stumbled on to it. Mostly locals and us Disneyland Geeks

At least that is my experience.

Cheers,
    Danny

• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

I've been coming down for it for a few years now. It's a very beautiful event and if you have a chance to see it, do!

It doesn't really get too crowded for it, except on Main Street where people watch the choir come by, and in front of the train station which is where the festivities are held. In the past, there has been no special merchandise for it that I'm aware of, but if you are part of the choir, you can purchase jackets, pins, and a few other trinkets.
    Growing older is manditory
    Growing up is however, optional

• MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Always watching...

For those of you who have never seen it or even heard of it, here's the thread from last year (with pictures) from people who went.

http://www.micechat.com/forums/showt...ht=Candlelight

• B Funk All Star

Thanks for the quick replies! We've never been during the holidays and are looking forward to seeing the decorations and lighter crowds.