Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Main Street U.S.A. - the 1950's?

When Disneyland was built, Main Street was modeled after a typical turn of the century towns Main Street (Marceline), which would make it circa the 1900's. That was 50 years prior to 1955. What if they did a remodel of Main Street to make it 50 years prior to current times, i.e., circa the 1950's?!

I know this won't happen at any of the current parks, that would be just a little TOO much stress on everyone . But what about any possible future Disneylands? Do you think a 1950's Main Street would be a cool new change?

Think about how cool the architecture could be? And all the neon signs and all the pastel colors that would brighten up the facades. There could be a "pharmacy" with a soda fountain inside. A 50's diner. There could be a streetcar like the red cars of L.A. instead of horse drawn carriages, plus a slew of other 50's transportation vehicles. Just think of the possibilities!

So, thoughts? Ideas?

• insufferable know-it-all

Re: Main Street U.S.A. - the 1950's?

I always thought a 50's "Main Street" would be a great idea for a non-MK Disney park. Or for an alterna-Disneyland (one that has various lands not currently covered at DL, like an ice world, an under water world, a villains world, etc.)

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

I am extremely devoted to the Turn of the Century Main Street. But I would love a Yesterland to balance Tomorrowland. There are many great moments from the mid-century that could be incorporated into GREAT attractions.

• Santa Barbara, CA

I do like the spanish and deco inspired Hollywood Blvd at MGM. that feels very magic to me and is not Victorian. Universal did the Mel's diner thing and to me it's still too typical of what still exists. the 50's would have to be simtihsonian quality with interiors and products to match for it to be great. like Orange Ca. but better.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• враг народа

Blog Entries

I think it would be very cool. Frankly, I think Disney almost over does the whole Victorian thing. Disneyland Paris has three Victorian lands: Main Street, Frontierland, and Discoveryland. I love Victorian architecture, but a 1950s Main Street would still make for a wonderful fit. What's be even more interesting is a castle that still fits at the end of Main Street.

Great idea Onut!

cough *DCA-placemaking* cough

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • MC Director of Sales and Marketing

Blog Entries

What about re-opening The Monorail Cafe on Main Street? I miss that place and it would perfect with the 50's theming!
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse princess View Post
    Of course I am worried about your mental health. I want happiness for all. Like we can all be like the Smurfs. But without Gargomel. He was mean.

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fastpassmountain
    Great idea Onut!

HELLO!!! I dont have bad ones! (thanks G4)

• Premium Youngling and

As fun and as cool as that sounds, the Main Street in place at all parks is simply classic. Correct me if Im wrong but wasnt Main Street modeled after Walt's hometown or the place that he grew up in in Missouri? The look and feel of the current Main Street will probably never change. Cool idea though.
    Last edited by Abominable Snowman; 08-16-2006 at 10:50 AM.

• Closed Account

Main Street was NOT modeled after Walt's hometown of Marceline. If you can find photos of Marceline from the period, you will find stark differences.

It is, in fact, a composite of the "typical" Main Street one might have found in a small town at the turn of the century. It is archetypical, but it doesn't replicate one thing about Marceline (except for the fact that buildings lined the street there). In reality, it probsbly is as "representative" of a typical turn-of-the-century Main Street as much as City Walk represents Los Angeles.

Imagineer Harper Goff designed many of the buildings on Main Street, including City Hall, and the Bank building, both of which he modeled from buildings in his home town of Fort Collins, CO.

Walt, of course, instructed his imaginers on what he wanted. He included a town square similar to what he remembered from Marceline, but the Marceline square was very mundane--simply one of the city blocks left vacant, with a few benches here and there to form a park.

For an in-depth discussion of Main Streets of America, with a rather large section on Disney's, I recommend "Main Street Revisited," by Richard V. Francaviglia, University of Iowa Press.
    Last edited by Steve DeGaetano; 08-16-2006 at 12:34 PM.

• Banned User

I like the current main street.

Hey, Disneyland is about the only park that doesn't have a 50's diner, it's gotta stay unique!

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano
    Imagineer Harper Goff designed many of the buildings on Main Street, including City Hall, and the Bank building, both of which he modeled from buildings in his home town of Fort Collins, CO.
    And growing up very near Fort Collins, it really did used to look like that. And historic buildings there still do.

What I like about that story is that Harper Goff never told Disney about that because he was worried what Walt would say. (from Walt Disney Imagineering: A Behind the Dreams Look At Making the Magic Real)

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Banned User

I love that idea.

For Disneyland, I just wish some of their shops had more authentic items to purchase.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

I certainly vote to keep Disneyland's Main Street USA the typical turn-o'-the-century form it is now. Part of its charm is the fact that life then was a little slower and simpler. (Of course, in it's Disneyland incarnation, it's crowded and cacaphonous... but we can use our imaginations!)

I've always though DCA would benefit from it's own... kind of... Main Street. I don't think Hollywood Blvd. quite fits the bill. I'm a little hesitant to suggest typical 1950's because that has become so ubiquitous and a little boring. I'm a little weary of "Peggy Sue." I'd be more inclined toward the late 50's and early 60's "Googie" style. This is an interesting era with really fun buildings. Get rid of the McDonald's in DCA and put in a Bob's Big Boy! Build around it with "ring-a-ding" stuff and sprinkle around a couple of pink and turquoise cars with fins. Pipe in some Bobby Darrin and you've got something.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast