Thread: Trip Planning

Trip Planning

Hi there...I'm new to this wonderful place, and I have a question. In a few months my wife and I are going to be taking our two daughters, ages 6 and 7, to Disneyland for the first time. As much as I LOVE that magical place, it has been 9 years since I was last there, due to lack of funds and living in Boise, Idaho. Can anyone tell me the best things to do with my girls while we are there? Any info would be greatly appreciated!

I'm also very jealous....since lots of you live so close, have annual passes, and can go pretty much whenever you want. Up here, it gets kinda lonely, being a Disneyphile with no one around who really relates. I wear my golden ears, which I keep on top of my computer monitor at work, on Fridays, and no one really understands! Being eccentric is great, but having peers is even better.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

• Popular Princess

Re: Trip Planning

i love making recommendations!

disneyland:

attractions:
    1. matterhorn
    2. big thunder
    3. pirates-recent refurb
    4. splash mountain
    5. space mountain-recent refurb
    6. jungle cruise-there are new effects now
    7. all of fantasyland-for your girls!
    8. indiana jones-everyone should be tall enough but if not you can use the parent switch-off system where you get a pass so that one of you can ride and when you get off, the other parent can go through the exit and get on
    9. haunted mansion-recent refurb

food:
    1. cafe orleans-new remodeled as a sit-down restaurant
    2. pizza port
    3. rancho del zocalo-nice atmosphere
    4. river belle terrace-get mickey mouse pancakes!
    5. hungry bear restaurant-nice atmosphere
    6. mint julep bar-nice atmosphere and a great place to go for a quick snack
    7. tiki juice bar-dole whip!!!

california adventure:

attractions:
    1. california screamin
    2. soarin over california
    3. grizzly river run
    4. redwood creek challenge trail
    5. tower of terror
    6. muppet vision
    7. disney animation building

food:
    1. taste pilot's grill
    2. schmoozies
    3. pacific wharf cafe
    4. burrrbank ice cream

have fun!!!
    I'd rather be at Disneyland

• Popular Princess

things to hit in downtown disney:

stores:
    1. world of disney
    2. club libby liu-your girls will LOVE it!
    3. build-a-bear
    4. the shop in the rainforest cafe

food:
    1. naples
    2. ralph brennan's jazz kitchen-sit-down restaurant or to-go
    3. rainforest cafe
    4. tortilla joe's
    5. la brea bakery
    6. haagen-dazs

• I'm not really here

As you've got little girls, you'll probably be wanting to meet the Princesses and assorted other characters. The best way we've found of getting to as many as possible with as little effort as possible is to go to the First Aid Station and ask them if they could ask over the radio where the characters are going to be that day. We've always done that and they are very helpful. They get us the times and places that they will be.

First Aid is at the castle end of Main St. on the right hand side behind the Plaza Inn.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

I would try and catch Fantasmic!, the parade and fireworks as well. They are incredible and when i was your daughters age (about 10 yrs ago) i LOVED them...Fantasmic! is a great way to see all the characters...but then the next day you get the thrill of having them want to meet every single one they saw on the boat the night before.

•   

Congrats on 100 mycroft16!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16
    As you've got little girls, you'll probably be wanting to meet the Princesses and assorted other characters. The best way we've found of getting to as many as possible with as little effort as possible is to go to the First Aid Station and ask them if they could ask over the radio where the characters are going to be that day. We've always done that and they are very helpful. They get us the times and places that they will be.

First Aid is at the castle end of Main St. on the right hand side behind the Plaza Inn.
    I don't think I would interrupt them in the first aid station. You can check in at City Hall, that is who the First Aid station would call to find out, and they can tell you where the characters will be appearing.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • has a brand new mindset

An easier way to answer your question would be to ask a question -- what do your girls like? My daughter was 7 on her last trip and wanted to do just about everything. Do they like things a bit scary? Do they mind being jerked about on rides? I think the only ride my DD didn't enjoy was Indiana Jones - and I thought it was because of the jerkiness of it, but no- it was just a bit too scary for her.

I'd do at least one character breakfast - goofy's kitchen or breakfast with Minnie at the Plaza. Are autographs something they want?

Maybe sit down with your girls and ask them what they think Disneyland is. Take them through stuff on the website and ask if it looks fun. Get a book - Disneyland & Southern California with Kids is a good one.

• Oh my Goodness!

Yes, I agree, one character meal would be fun for all. We always did that when I was a kid and LOVED it! But other then that, it really depends on what your daughters are into. When I was that age I was more interested in meeting characters and collecting autographs then hitting every ride in the park. My sister was the oppisite. Fantasmic! was a hit with both of us everytime, as were the fireworks. I would recomend checking out the website w/ them and having them pick a few things they each HAVE to do. That way you have some idea of things you have to do and still leave room for impromtu moments (which are offen the best parts of a DL trip). But most of all, HAVE FUN! That is a great age to take your kids! Enjoy it!

• The one, the only...

If you are going to have a "sit down" lunch or dinner at the park, make sure you call ahead and get reservations. That will allow you to get a time you would prefer. Just showing up at the restaurant can mean that it is booked solid or you would have to wait, wasting precious time. The number is 714-781-3463.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Popular Princess

yes! meal reservations are very important. they save you time for sure.

definitely check out disneyland.com with your girls. many of the attractions have videos and/or pictures with their description. these pictures and videos will definitely be helpful in some cases in helping your girls decide what to do.

hit a character meal for sure. considering you have girls, i'd recommend the princess breakfast at dca.

as always, keep in mind the most important thing, have fun!

Smile Re: Trip Planning

Gosh! Thanks soooo much! Those are all excellent ideas, and I'm gonna use them all! We will be spending a couple of days there, so what you guys gave me will help make it a special trip. Tinkermonkey....my younger daughter is a daredevil and the older one is more reserved, so between their mom and I, I think we can make sure both get to do things they enjoy. Mycroft16, that is a great idea, since the both ADORE the princesses! The younger loves Cinderella, since they are both blond and blue eyed, and the older one loves Belle and Snow White, since they are all brown hair and brown eyed. Wickedisneygurl....great ideas! Man, I love that park!!!!

Thanks again, you guys ROCK!

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Timhotep
    I'm also very jealous....since lots of you live so close, have annual passes, and can go pretty much whenever you want. Up here, it gets kinda lonely, being a Disneyphile with no one around who really relates. I wear my golden ears, which I keep on top of my computer monitor at work, on Fridays, and no one really understands! Being eccentric is great, but having peers is even better.
    Meh. You have better dreams than we do. We have a better reality. Kind of evens out in the long run. Especially now that the internet exists.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."