Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: City Hall

• Closed Account

City Hall

My good Cousin Orville and I got to talking about a book we both own: Bicknells's Victorian Buildings. Both the Cousin and I noticed something familiar about one of the drawings. But before I go into that, I should go into some background:

Imagineer Harper Goff is credited with designing many of the Main Street buildings. He has stated that much of his inspiration was his home town of Fort Collins, Colorado. For example, he has said he based his design for the Disneyland City Hall on the Fort Collins Courthouse, shown below:

Now, I'm certain that many of you see the similarities between Fort Collins' and DL's City Hall. I can't deny them myself--if I squint a little.

But, as many of you may have gathered from my recent postings, I have a strong cynicism towards the Disney Company "dogma"--That whatever Disney says, is true.

I offer these prints in evidence: They show the Bay County Courthouse, Bay City, Michigan, as depicted in Bicknell's. I will let the designs speak for themselves:

Would it not be more likely that Mr. Goff had a copy of Bicknell's on his desk at the Studio as a reference, and that he designed Disneyland's iconic City Hall based on the one in Bay City, MI?

Here's Disneyland's City Hall, for reference:

You decide.
    Last edited by Steve DeGaetano; 08-16-2006 at 06:57 PM.

• What have I done?

Re: City Hall

I see more of his "inspiration" in the Bay City then in Fort Collins for sure!

"This guy!"

• Senior Minion

I wonder if the Bay City building done by the same architect as Fort Collins. It wouldn't have been unheard of.

Both styles are fairly similar.

• Tom Chaney R.I. P.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano
    My good Cousin Orville and I got to talking about a book we both own: Bicknells's Victorian Buildings. Both the Cousin and I noticed something familiar about one of the drawings. But before I go into that, I should go into some background:

Imagineer Harper Goff is credited with designing many of the Main Street buildings. He has stated that much of his inspiration was his home town of Fort Collins, Colorado. For example, he has said he based his design for the Disneyland City Hall on the Fort Collins Courthouse, shown below:

Now, I'm certain that many of you see the similarities between Fort Collins' and DL's City Hall. I can't deny them myself--if I squint a little.

But, as many of you may have gathered from my recent postings, I have a strong cynicism towards the Disney Company "dogma"--That whatever Disney says, is true.

I offer these prints in evidence: They show the Bay County Courthouse, Bay City, Michigan, as depicted in Bicknell's. I will let the designs speak for themselves:

Would it not be more likely that Mr. Goff had a copy of Bicknell's on his desk at the Studio as a reference, and that he designed Disneyland's iconic City Hall based on the one in Bay City, MI?

Here's Disneyland's City Hall, for reference:

You decide.
    If you look at both DL City hall and the Fort Collins Courthouse, you will see that both buildings have only one main door in the front. for this reason it has to be true. Nevermind that the tower is the same on DLCH and the one in Bay City, MI, It does not matter that the windows are the same also, or the roof. or all the other things designs that are the same. It all boils down to one front door!!!!!
    THIS SPACE FOR SALE OR LEASE

PRESIDENT OF THE DISNEYLAND LOOP LOVERS ASSOCIATION

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Wotan
    Both styles are fairly similar.
    I really don't see any similarities, aside from the Mansard roof central tower--and there, only by default.

(Edit: And, as tahoebob points out, the single entrance!).

Here are some details of the Bay County building. If you can find analogous similarities with the Fort Collins building, I'd love to see 'em:

Last edited by Steve DeGaetano; 08-16-2006 at 07:29 PM.

• The one, the only...

After seeing the other designs, I really like the Disneyland City Hall. It is smaller so it looks to me more like a small town city hall. The other structures are so grand, than they draw so much attention to themselves. DL's City Hall some how fits with its surroundings so well.

I do see the similarities. Thanks for sharing that.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Senior Minion

Fort Collins and DL both have double mill work under the roof line. Bay City has continuous mill work.

Top story windows are both pointed in Fort Collins/DL, Bay City's are rounded on the top.

Fort Collins and DL both appear to have ground level windows under the first story windows.

Bay City and DL both have rounded top windows, and round stone work around the top of the windows.

So they've all got some similarities...

• Closed Account

Fort Collins and DL both appear to have ground level windows under the first story windows.
    DL does not have basement windows...

• Closed Account

Top story windows are both pointed in Fort Collins/DL, Bay City's are rounded on the top.
    I don't know...the top windows look pretty similar to me:

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by JiminyCricketFan
    After seeing the other designs, I really like the Disneyland City Hall. It is smaller so it looks to me more like a small town city hall. The other structures are so grand, than they draw so much attention to themselves. DL's City Hall some how fits with its surroundings so well.

I do see the similarities. Thanks for sharing that.
    I LOVE the DL City Hall! Architecturally, I think it looks better than both the "real" ones!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano
    I LOVE the DL City Hall! Architecturally, I think it looks better than both the "real" ones!
    In my mind, that is the whole point of Disneyland... to make a place based on real life... but better!
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• Santa Barbara, CA

Of course it looks better, it was scaled down and the details were condensed. it's darn CUTE!
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

I know that what I'm about to say is off-topic, but I just noticed that there are signs painted in the upper-story windows of Disneyland City Hall. That show element does not seem correct.

A city hall would not house businesses.

Does anyone know when those window signs were added?

• Banned User

The top looks the same.

• Senior Minion

Interesting information, and comparisons. I love this, more to learn, more to learn.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast