• keh!

Lion King merchandise at Disneyland?!?

hey everyone, my friend is a huge fan of the lion king, and i was trying to find her something simba related (she mainly adores simba)... but what i found was.... like... 4 things?!? that's it? i find it hard to believe that one of their most successful full-length animated films hardly has any merchandise out.

i looked at that store um.... adventureland outfitters (i think that's the name) and i found an ugly simba plush that looks like he got a face lift and a coloring book... then at the world of disney, the same ugly plush, and just a pin... oh yeah, and a baby simba plush in a leaf (b/c apparently lions can wrap their cubs in a leaf)...

i was kind of disappointed that i didn't find much, any other suggested locations i can browse around? i check the outfitters, mainstreet emporium, and world of disney. maybe a nice figurine, or she said atleast a pen or a keychain (but i found none)... i appreciate it in advance.

• For You!

Re: Lion King merchandise at Disneyland?!?

I have a few Lion King pins - and the popcorn bucket I got had simba on it.

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

• Lowering Expectations

Sorry to say, but what you described is about it. Being a huge fan of TLK myself, I find it disappointing too, but besides Adventureland, there's not much of a "reason" (there's no attraction or show) for there to be much Lion King merch, and of course there's the fact that the movie doesn't have a dedicated line of merchandise like Pooh and Princesses do. If you were to venture to WDW's Animal Kingdom, the story would be much different.
    Follow news-savvy @DLtoday on Twitter by clicking on the banner below:

• keh!

ah, that's so true... my friend said she'll pay me back (b/c she requested something simba-ish...)... i'll ask if she's willing to pay for my airline ticket and AK ticket

• Cast Member

Red Face Re: Lion King merchandise at Disneyland?!?

Keep in mind about any merchandise you don't see at Disneyland.

If they don't have it there are several reasons.

1) It doesn't have massive appeal.

2) It doesn't sell and isn't profitable enough to make the effort.

3) They don't have the room to put everything in the park as opposed to WDW.

Your situation seems like a combination of #2 and #3.

You ever notice when they have a movie out they put a slew of movie related stuff but when the movie is gone, the stuff is too. Well.... at least with our merchandise division, they are interested in putting out what sells, period. When something is hot like how Cars was, they try and get on it. When it's not, it's gone much like the Incredibles.

Certain items are categorized as A+/A skus (the items that sell the MOST in a store). Then there are B skus which do ok but aren't great. Then there are C skus which are there because they have to be there like the Donald items. They are part of the worst performing items and constantly get evaluated and dropped as new items are added in hoping to become A+/A skus.

That's why you see very little LK, Donald, or obscure characters from Disney movies such as the fairies, mice, etc.

Oh how I've had to apologize that we don't have a particular weird character or not enough Donald items because Donald performs terribly in sales(although I never say that).

I don't make up the rules but I do know that's how it works from my knowledge of sales analysis through what I do.

Lastly, if you don't like that they don't have a wider range of things to offer, go to City Hall and complain about it. Just don't complain to the Cast Member, we can bring it out to you or possibly find it, but we can't make it.

I hope that answers things so nobody has to wonder about this again.

Bye.

• I'm not really here

Another reason could simply be that they have pulled the merchandise temporarily in order to create a higher demand for it. They do this with their movies by keeping in the vault for 7 to 10 years before putting them back on the market for a while. They can drive sales with this technique and rotate through their incredibly vast amount of merchandise/product material. TLK stuff will be back, it's not gone for good. Pretty soon Little Mermaid stuff will start ramping up to coincide with the DVD re-release.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Winter in Oceanside...

I'm disappointed at the lack of Lion King stuff too. Yet you can't get away from disgusting Stitch stuff. That despicable character is everywhere (sorry for the off topic mini rant).

Hey Gumby - I want to see more Cheshire Cat merch!

• keh!

yeah, makes sense... thanks gumby. and i didn't know that donald was so bad, i love donald.

and yes, stitch is EVERYWHERE... but c'mon, simba! i would think he's one of the most popular, non-princess characters. i'll get her the lion king float from the parade.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by BFJen
    I have a few Lion King pins - and the popcorn bucket I got had simba on it.
    Ooooo! Simba! I thought I saw one of those being carried by someone in the park! Please post a pic! Need one!