Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

i wanna be a CM....HELP!!!!

hey guys, i'm thinking about applying to be a CM in the fall. I have a few questions/concerns that i was hoping you guys could help me out with before i decide to do it or not thought. any help would be incredibly appriciated!!!!

1) I am a student at UC San Diego (long commute i know, but id be willing to do it if i worked at DLR), but I only have class (for this quarter at least) on tuesdays, wednesdays, and thursdays, leaving me four successive days each week to do as I please. How good is Disney at working around a college student's schedule? cuz there is no way I could work on the three days i mentioned, but i would be free for all other days and times. would disney work with me on this? or do i have to be available all the time to be able to work there?

2) would I be able to change my availability to work once this quarter is finished and i begin taking new classes (with an all new schedule) in the winter? again is this something they would work with me on?

3) i would really only want to be working in attractions (no offense to CMs in the other departments), but thats the one that really interests me, i can do food, retail, custodial, etc in SD, but attractions r a definite Disney only option for me. do i get to request working in attractions (for that matter, land, ride, etc) or do they just place me where i'm needed. i realize that any requests to work in a specific land/ride are purely requests and couldnt be a demand or anything, but when i apply, do i apply under attractions? or is it just a generic app and they put me in whatever department they choose?

4) I live in the Bay Area when i'm not down at school, so does disney understand if i say im not available to work during winter break, summer break, etc? cuz SD to anaheim is a doable commute. SF to anaheim is a different story lol

thats all i can come up with for now, but im sure more things will come to me when im not so exhausted lol

thanks for any help you guys can give me!
    Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy.

• Vehicle rotating backward

Re: i wanna be a CM....HELP!!!!

As much as they need doe-eyed children ready to jump through hoops for their dream of doing the Mouse's bidding, I'm not sure if they're desperate enough to hire folks commuting from as far away as San Diego. Personally, I can't advise that you work there because I'd like to see them improve employee compensation and the only way it looks like that will happen is if they just can't find anyone and are forced to give back a little bit more to get the people they want.

They will ultimately put you where they want you after they get a little feedback. They are not desperate enough to take people who insist on one position only, I believe. The college program uses a checklist to figure out what you want to do, I'm sure regular casting does the same thing.

I mean, come what may, they'll tell you what they've decided they want you to do and you'll tell them yes or no depending on if you want to or not. Saying no doesn't mean you can't try again in the future. What's to lose?

You pretty much 100% have to be able to do holiday periods and summer to be anything. Casual Regulars can just do weekends and Friday evenings in the other parts of the year, and the lowest availability position, Casual Regular, requires full availability in summer and holidays.

If you really want to work for Disney, I'd take a semester or two off from school and just work full time and move to the area. Much easier than an enourmous commute and availability hassles.

• Lowering Expectations

1) Goodness yes, long commute. I have no idea how you'll work that one out. I live ten miles away and still I had to leave an hour before my shift began to allow time to change into costume, etc. You do not have to be available to work all the time however. I was a CR which meant I had to be available on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays, but I was also putting in 48 to 50-hour weeks. Given your circumstances, you are probably going to fall under the "part-time" category, and be prepared to work 12-hour shifts those four days you're available, especially because I assume you're not a minor like I am.

2) It shouldn't be a problem, but that is one of the things that gets discussed at Casting. For example, I said that I would be unavailable one week at the end of July because I would be away on a family reunion. I wrote down the dates that I would be gone, and Disney took that into account before I was hired. Also, once I started working, I requested to work evenings on Sundays so that I could still go to church. It was a compromise, since I had originally asked for Sundays off, but as I said above it's required for CRs to be available on weekends.

3) Yes, on the application you request which department you are interested in. Also, right after the interviewing part of being hired in, the interviewer will discuss with you what kind of work you want to do. You'll say attractions. Of course, you will be placed wherever you're needed. I'm living proof, since I worked at Baker's Field Bakery / Bur-r-r Bank Ice Cream in DCA.

4) Sorry, but the folks at Casting will laugh at you if you say you're not available summer and winter break, especially since their motto is "We Work While Others Play." If you can't work something out to be able to work those times, you won't have much of a chance at getting the job, I'm telling 'ya right now. This goes for when you're in San Diego too, but working at Disneyland just requires that you remain closeby and available when others are taking vacations (to DLR!). If you can't rent a place somewheres in Anaheim, it'll just be undoable.
    Last edited by 2DieFR; 08-16-2006 at 10:25 PM.
    Follow news-savvy @DLtoday on Twitter by clicking on the banner below:

• Sock Puppet

1) I am a student at UC San Diego (long commute i know, but id be willing to do it if i worked at DLR), but I only have class (for this quarter at least) on tuesdays, wednesdays, and thursdays, leaving me four successive days each week to do as I please. How good is Disney at working around a college student's schedule? cuz there is no way I could work on the three days i mentioned, but i would be free for all other days and times. would disney work with me on this? or do i have to be available all the time to be able to work there?
    Disney sucks at working around college scheduling. I am not sure what you guys are talking about, but they are the absolute worst. Remember, when you work for Disneyland, you are their slave. So expect bad things to happen to you when you work for them. My example would be this: They schedule me till 3am, I have class at 8am. They don't care, nor do they try to move my schedule. I think you are nuts to commute that far. Go to Legoland, it is 10 times closer.

2) would I be able to change my availability to work once this quarter is finished and i begin taking new classes (with an all new schedule) in the winter? again is this something they would work with me on?
    No

3) i would really only want to be working in attractions (no offense to CMs in the other departments), but thats the one that really interests me, i can do food, retail, custodial, etc in SD, but attractions r a definite Disney only option for me. do i get to request working in attractions (for that matter, land, ride, etc) or do they just place me where i'm needed. i realize that any requests to work in a specific land/ride are purely requests and couldnt be a demand or anything, but when i apply, do i apply under attractions? or is it just a generic app and they put me in whatever department they choose?
    They actually need Foods people at the moment, so I know that you might possibly be stuck there (they were putting people on 6 days a week, 72 hours a week starting). I put down Attractions when I was hired, yet they stuck me in stores because they were so desperate for stores people. Put down Attractions for sure, but they might put you elsewhere wherever they need you.

4) I live in the Bay Area when i'm not down at school, so does disney understand if i say im not available to work during winter break, summer break, etc? cuz SD to anaheim is a doable commute. SF to anaheim is a different story lol

thats all i can come up with for now, but im sure more things will come to me when im not so exhausted lol

thanks for any help you guys can give me!
    Nice try. Remember, DISNEY DOESN'T CARE ABOUT YOU. To them, you are just another banana on the street, who just about anybody can fill in your shoes. Sad eh, but that is the company I used to work for.

I know I am being harsh, but I would NEVER NEVER NEVER work for Disney under the conditions you are in. Heck, I am at UCI and I am angry at the crap I used to put up with. Don't waste your life. School > Disneyland.

• Earth Intruder

While it may seem fun to drive a long distance to work at the DLR, believe me, it will get old by about week #2. (Though I guess tha's the average turnover rate for the Resort anyway... lol). The "no working on breaks" thing is going to be a deal-killer for you there on even getting hired in the first place.

If you somehow work the vacation thing out, all of your spare time (not to mention study time) will be spent running back and forth to Anaheim and working. You think Disneyland cares about your finals? Think again.

As a UCSD grad myself, I just wanted to stress that working at the DLR will absolutely kill the college experience for you. You might as well be going to community college and living with mommy and daddy if you're not going to get out there and be part of the college. You'll look back and regret those long commutes and wonder why you felt like an outsider in college.

As other people in this thread have said, this is a hellishly bad idea. If you're really dying to work at the DLR, then take a summer break, rent an apartment in Anaheim, and work there for a summer.
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

• Sector Two Droid Repair

You do realize that your entire paycheck will be going towards gasoline right? In fact, it sounds like you might be getting a negative balance at the end of the month.

What's wrong with working at Sea World?
    http://www.endorexpress.net/
    Disneyland - It's better than drugs.

• It's all nonsense

Mouseplanet ran a whole series of articles about the process of getting hired. This is the first one:
    http://www.mouseplanet.com/articles.php?art=cp040901sl

Hey CM's how do you get hired on for Security positions?

1) Disney is not good on working around a college schedule. However, in your situation during the school year it would work fine. Disney will require you to be fully available Friday evenings and all day saturday and sunday. Since you don't have school on mondays- this should work out okay. Just advised that commute will be a killer, keep in mind everything Chernabog said, and also during times of extreme CM shortage your availability will be completely disregarded.

2) Yes. Your availability and work schedule can be changed. Please note that any changes take 3 weeks to go into effect. That means if you have your classes picked out and finalized only 1-2 weeks before semester starts, be ready to be guarenteed scheduled against availability for those first couple of weeks.

3) On the application process you choose what departments you want to apply for. During the interview process if you pass (which you will, because if your posting here, that means you care) you'll be set up with a second interview for a certain department. They WILL try and steer you towards where bodies are needed most. Foods and ODV continually need bodies, stores are bad too. Don't be adamant on your choices, but you have some control. I myself turned down 2 seperate department offers before I settled.

4) This one is the kicker, and I'm sorry to say, but...no.

My suggestion for you, if you really want to work at Disney...
    1) so ahead and apply anyways. Have a fun couple of months working, and when it comes final exam time, put in your two weeks notice. Just don't tell them this during the interview process.
    2)wait till you graduate, get a place up north and work at Disney as fun job while you scout other career opportunities- or perhaps with whatever your majoring in you might just hire into Disney in a 'suit' position.

Hope this helps. I don't want to be harsh. But in your situation, it will be more trouble than its worth. The forced commutes will serve to make you miserable at Disney and at school. My recommendation would be pass for the time being.
    The Next Big Disney Thing: starts Jan. 3rd

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Quote Originally Posted by phruby
    You do realize that your entire paycheck will be going towards gasoline right? In fact, it sounds like you might be getting a negative balance at the end of the month.

What's wrong with working at Sea World?
    Hit it right on the nail. That's a terrible commute, and your pay wouldn't even cover gas (darn oil companies). I don't know if your parents pay for everything for you or not, but even if you're taken care of in all aspects, I can guarentee you that they will not be happy that they have to pay for all that gas. If you have to make money to survive? You'll dig a grave for yourself with that kind of distance. I'm not trying to be mean, heck, I was in your shoes a few months ago...I live about an hour away from the resort as well. It's just some hard facts, unfortunately I plan on attempting to move closer to Disneyland in the future after I'm finished with college, move in with somebody, and be able to work there along with at least one other side job and continue a little further in my passion career-path. Maybe something like this would work better for you in the future.

Disneyland needs people like you that are very eager to work at the resort, but they're not going to give you any leeway...it's their way or the highway. At least one college student who worked at the resort a few months ago had to quit because Disneyland wouldn't let them go to school to take their final. Nope, they want you working on their terms.

Good luck. I suggest you start off with a job much closer to where you live, as suggested above, Sea World is probably a good idea. Whatever works for you.

• I'm your huckleberry.

Can I suggest working at the Zoo? I worked there not too long ago, and it is not only a good place to work, they adjust to college schedules well, and you'll be saving a LOT of gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleTom
    Remember, DISNEY DOESN'T CARE ABOUT YOU. To them, you are just another banana on the street, who just about anybody can fill in your shoes.
    No truer words were ever spoken. Do they work schedules around you?
    If they like you. Some I've known stayed for years as they got an education. Others, they pull the 'full availablity' card, and bam, you're gone.
    And as been said, it's what they need at the moment: I asked for Westside attractions, and they gave me Fantasyland attractions.
    "They's two B's in basketball!"

• Banned User

I would work at Sea World.

Disneyland just wouldn't be worth if I were in your shoes.

• Banned User

Oh, or wild Animal Kingdom or the Zoo - those are both great places, and if you love the animals, even better!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast