Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Summer: Best time to go?

I'm planning an event in the Anaheim area for next summer which will include a day at the park. My question, when's the best time to go between mid-June and mid-August? I was planning on the last week in June before the blockout dates start for the SoCal pass, but I've been hearing that July was pretty slow. Is that usual?

Re: Summer: Best time to go?

The best time to go? I want to say never. Between June and August is when everyone decides to take vacation, kids are out of school, it's hot. It's usually crowded, even on weekdays. If I had to suggest a time, I would go with August because some schools start and it's a little bit cooler.

• Sun Wheel survivor!

Early June - once the 15th passes - the crowds start.

• It's all nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by ClubDisCM
    My question, when's the best time to go between mid-June and mid-August?
    January

My family and I always push our trip to the week after Labor Day weekend. The parks are usually not as full and we normally don't have to wait long to ride anything. We went once during the summer at the end of August and the parks were a nightmare.

• A Pirate's Life For Me

I am in the minority around here in that summer is my first choice of time to go to DLR. If you do some planning, get to the parks early and get started on your day, and/or use software like RideMax (www.ridemax.com ) you can get a lot done even when it is more crowded. Plus you get the benefit of having the maximum number of rides and shows operating.

I did a day trip on Aug 2, and specifically planned it for a Wednesday - usually the best day of the week to visit. Personally, I would avoid late June right before the AP blackout, and the new Finding Nemo ride will bring a lot of extra folks to DL when it opens in June or July. I would also avoid the time around July 4.

On Aug 2 we did 22 rides. I am not suggesting you follow our example, but you can experience a lot of DLR in one day if you do it right. See http://www.micechat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33224

• It's all nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by HydroGuy
    I am in the minority around here in that summer is my first choice of time to go to DLR.
    Summer can be a good time because everything is usually running and all the shows are going on. I personally can't stand it because it's flippin HOT!

• A Pirate's Life For Me

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Hatter
    Summer can be a good time because everything is usually running and all the shows are going on. I personally can't stand it because it's flippin HOT!
    As SoCal folks know, this summer was unusually hot in July. When we were at DLR the first week of August 2005, and then for a day trip the first week of August this year, the highest temperature it ever got was about 85 degrees.

Rather than saying it is too hot in the summer, I think it is fair to say that it can get hot in the summer. Further, the heat is more of an issue for day trippers who are, for the most part, stuck with the heat. For those with a hotel close by, the smart thing to do is take a swim and nap break mid-day. So even if it is really hot, you can escape the worst of it and come back in the evening when it has cooled down.

That's what I've heard as well, head back to the hotel during the mid-day to swim and relax. We haven't booked our trip yet, because we aren't sure when the best time to go will be, and my wife is LOATHE to take the girls out of school for a quick trip to DLR. Last time I went, and this was in 1996, was the second week of June, and it was not too horrible....lines were a bit long, but not horrendous, and the weather was nice.

• I can't stand you.

The best time to go during summer is when its over. Everyones back in school and that clears a massive amount of space

• A Pirate's Life For Me

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Chopsticks
    The best time to go during summer is when its over. Everyones back in school and that clears a massive amount of space
    And many rides are shutdown for refurb or holiday additions and shows are cut way back... There are always tradeoffs.

January!

• Banned User

Early June, !! I went in August.........., never again!! it was so hot, so crowded, and impossible to get on the rides. with the heat and kids forget it.

The event mostly envolves kids so it has to be after school lets out for the summer and before they go back, hence the mid-June through mid-Aug time frame. Actually, a lot of east coast schools don't get out until late June so the earliest would be more like the last week in June. We only have time for one day there so there won't be any going back to the hotel until the end of the day. Someone told me the week after July 4th was fairly slow. Is that true?

• Banned User

Summer...bad idea.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast