Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• I'm not really here

Re: Single Rider: Awkward sharing a seat with strangers?

Getting seated with strangers is only as uncomfortable and weird as you make it. I just act myself. And GRR is the best. Getting a face full of water is a great way to bond.

And I always find it funny when we're put in with a raft full of girls who obviously spent 2+ hours doing makeup and hair to come to a theme park and ride roller coasters and water rides.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Waiting Since 1992

Quote Originally Posted by Pisces
    Grizzly River run is a bit uncomfortable because you have to face people you don't know, and they you....even though they weren't single rider!

I think all the other rides, you don't actually have to look at who you are sitting next to, and make conversation.

See, I totally disagree with that statement. I think it's quite the opposite. In my opinion, I feel that sitting NEXT to somebody, and not facing them, sort of makes me feel as though I am WITH that person, we're a couple, or friends. And facing a group of people is easier, in my opinion, because it is a group experience, two people aren't isolated from each other, or paired off.

Anyway, good question.

• Santa Barbara, CA

I like to eat at that mexican place in Frontierland then fart on the strangers in the rides. You just let one rip really loud and then look at them in disgust and blame them. They always look like they wish they could get away. It's fun because we'll never see each other again.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• враг народа

Blog Entries

I have not done signle rider at Disneyland, but I have at Walt Disney World. At first I felt a bit odd as I'm not very outgoing. I found that if I just acted a bit more outgoing and comfortable with everything things went a lot better and I myself got more comfortable.

If for anything else, I love single rider and Disney's seat assigning as it helps use capacity on attractions. Nothing is worse than standing in line and seeing vehicle after vehicle leaving half empty.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

My most favorite GRR ride was with strangers - this family who were just fun and crazy and had the person who didn't want to get wet so we were spinning the raft to get her wet - but the dad, a son and I got the most wet! It was so much fun!!!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Man O Lantern

Quote Originally Posted by alphabassetgrrl
    I react like normal.
    Ah, but you're perhaps stoic on coasters.

I'm a freak.

• Why do you keep talking?

I'm funny on rides, I tell jokes and and just get them to laugh! I only do this on Rapids rides though since you have plenty of time to interact with other people (single rider or not) while going up the lift (especially with GRR since it's in the beginning) and plenty of time in between soakings.

I definitely think it's most awkward on Splash since I'm a big guy, I usually end up in front and end up hitting the persons legs behind me. On coasters it's fun to chat about their day or if they had ridden the ride before or anything like it, etc. I don't hold back any of my yelling or screaming on ride either, what do I care what other people think? Especially if I'm only with them for a few minutes of my life?

This one time I went to Universal's Islands of Adventure and sat with this family (Mother and two kids) on Dueling Dragons (Fire baby!) and she mentioned liking it beter then Raptor at Cedar Point (It's in Ohio and it was actually a few days before I was heading for my fourth year back in 2004) so (all together now!!) "It's a small world after all!" and you never know how you'll end up meeting.
    "Tonight I wash my hands of you
    You set the bar I could not live up to
    Tonight the light is breaking through
    So thank you very little and send me postcards from hell"
    Zebrahead

• ...TWO BITS!

I agree with most people here. It's fun as long as you don't lap seat.

Besides, if your a single rider, and go through stand-by, you're still going to end up with strangers. Unless you talk to the people infront and/or behind you in stand-by...

So if you go through single-rider, you don't have to interact with the people too long
    Last edited by filmfreak11; 08-18-2006 at 12:18 AM.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• CM for 4 years!

The most awkward single rider attraction is Mulholland Madness.
    Member of the Disney Class of 2005
    Disneyland CM for 4 years.
    May 6, 2005 - present.

• Lost in Wonderland

I met a very nice couple on GRR when me and my boyfriend rode.

As for Single Rider lines, I didn't use the Single Rider line on California Screamin' because my bf chickened out at the last minute, but a little boy was partnered with me from the line. He was really cute and little, and he said it was his 6th time riding it that day. He also said I had to hold my hands up the entire ride and I could do nothing but oblige, hehe.

• YOU KNOW IT! YEAH!

My mother tried to converse with them...and she did a good job haha we all had fun....she got the most wet on GRR....it may have been because she tried to show the other ppl up on a few subjects. I suppose thats what she gets for trying to show off and say that im the GREATEST SON EVER!!!!!! and than something about Palm Springs

SUPPORT THE CMs

For me, Tomorrow is everyday...wait...what?

• FastPass n00b

I rode in the California Screamin' single rider line and rode with a young girl, probably around 16, who seemed kind of uncomfortable riding with a stranger. But the cool thing about that ride is the restraints pretty much block your peripherial vision and you can't see anyone next to you. Plus it was in the very front so it was kind of like being by myself. I'm pretty comfortable on rollercoasters so I just sit there all quiet on that ride, to me it's more of a beautiful scenic trip than a rollercoaster. But if you pretend to enjoy yourself (I was truly enjoying it, just quietly), I think it makes the other person feel as though they can express themselves too.

And just a side note for anyone who's afraid of these coasters, I used to be scared of anything that dropped more than 6 inches, including the carousel, but now I can pretty much do any rollercoaster. Once you get over the initial trepidation of a particular ride (and there's ALWAYS an extreme amount of it on any ride you've never done), it becomes really fun. I still get scared to near paralysis on a ride I've never done, but afterwards when I know exactly what to expect, it becomes fun to me. I just played lots of RollerCoaster Tycoon, read about physics and watched lots of Discovery Channel and in time I learned to respect rollercoasters for the pieces of art-in-motion that they are instead of fearing them.

As for GRR, I've never rode it single before but I hate having to face strangers. I usually just turn in my seat and check out the scenery or something.
    Last edited by Athlonacon; 08-18-2006 at 09:28 AM.

• Still wants to be a cat!

Wolfette just did single rider for the first time on GRR the other day. She met a really nice family and had a blast! I got to meet them after the ride, they really enjoyed her company.

I just didn't feel like getting drenched and she was all for going by herself. Of course, she hardly got wet, but if I'd gone, it would have been a different story!
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

• Just this guy......

Quote Originally Posted by thejoshualee
    I love sitting with strangers in GRR. You meet some very interesting people who will soaked.

The random conversations in Disneyland can be very fun.
    I have to agree. It's great to talk to new people at Disneyland. I normaly start with the simple question of: "Where are you from?"

I live 2 miles away from Disneyland if Walt would've built it at Riverside and Buena Vista.

I'm totally down with chatting with new folks at Disneyland... good stuff ...

However, I have encountered awkwardness when doing the (totally awesome) single rider jump-off on Splash Mtn. It's usually when I'm loaded with just ONE family. It's not so bad when there's different groups on the same log (like a couple, and a small family, and me .... as opposed to just one family and me.)

I feel like they might be thinking, "Who's this weirdo riding by himself in OUR log?" I noticed for some reason there's certain types of families that are friendlier than others.

I also try to duck my head down coming over the drop, just because I don't want to spoil THEIR picture.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast