Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Single Rider: Awkward sharing a seat with strangers?

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16
    Getting seated with strangers is only as uncomfortable and weird as you make it.
    Uh, no.

A situation presents itself.

I didn't ask for the situation.

Riders don't choose who they are thrown in with.

There's no compatibility test in the split second that you are assigned whichever seat.

When I go on GRR, it's often at the end of the day, or at the end of a long session in the Parks, the very last thing, when I don't mind getting wet....because I can just go back up and change. I'm usually weary and worn out, and simply cannot express the required enthusiasm, smiles and screams.... that would go along with everyone else's manner.

And, there have been times when I've gone on GRR and sat stone faced throughout the whole ride. It doesn't mean that I don't enjoy the ride, it just means that I'm weary and too exhausted to move my facial muscles like everyone else.

Are the lone single riders, who, not by choice, get thrown in with a family, or close group, expected to express the same level of enthusiasm as everyone else?, even when tired?

I've gotten the impression that close, chummy groups, and close-knit families don't like it when a third-wheel comes onto the raft and sits there stone-faced throughout the whole ride.

They think that it spoils things and you get labeled a party-pooper/sour puss.

Kind of an unfair burden on the tired, stone-faced single rider.....and the close family/group...who wanted the raft to themselves.

As far as meeting new people: It's very difficult to get to know someone, much less whole families, on a 3-minute ride, when you've just been thrown in with them, randomly.

I'm all for getting to know new people. But, you need time......and a bit of a more calmer environment...to get to know them.

• Say no to Assimilation

Quote Originally Posted by Pisces
    As far as meeting new people: It's very difficult to get to know someone, much less whole families, on a 3-minute ride, when you've just been thrown in with them, randomly.I'm all for getting to know new people. But, you need time......and a bit of a more calmer environment...to get to know them.
    But as you pointed out, it's only 3 minutes. So if it's uncomfortable or ackward, it will be over in 3 minutes.
    This is quite similar to riding on an airplane. However, on an airplane you have to sit next to strangers for a longer period of time and you are even closer to each other than on most rides. I'll take the Disney ride over the airplane any day.
    "He who knows only his own side of the case, knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them. But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side; if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion" --John Stuart Mill

• DisneyGirl

I only knew about single rider lines at CALIFORNIA SOARING!
    What other rides have this option??
    How do we find out?
    My husband and I will split up if it's a long line without FastPass, plus I am in the park by myself often and I usually go on mass rides like the Train.
    Single rider opens a whole new world of options! Info Please

• I'm not really here

I must just be lucky, because I have never had a problem being randomly thrown in with people before. Say hi... been on this before? Good day? If they are cold and not wanting to be chummy... then I just enjoy the ride for myself and let them stew over it if they choose. I've done nothing wrong by standing in the single rider line. You can't make them happy, only they can, so why not be happy and enjoy it yourself. You aren't ruining it for them... they're ruining it for themselves.

And I'd choose a 3 minute ride for random meetings because it's only 3 minutes and after that you never have to see them again. So you really don't have to get to know them... You just have to be friendly.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by brigeet
    At least they don't do single rider for Matterhorn :P
    haha, that made me chuckle at just the mental image

I live 2 miles away from Disneyland if Walt would've built it at Riverside and Buena Vista.

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16
    I must just be lucky, because I have never had a problem being randomly thrown in with people before. Say hi... been on this before? Good day? .....
    Just for the record, I agree with both mycroft16 and pisces about this. It is possible for you to enter a readymade awkward situation. And you can still just enjoy it yourself.

I've been in that position before being a single rider and having a single rider put next to me. I think it depends on how self conscious you are. At least for me, the goal for riding GRR or the other attractions is to have fun, and generally that's why the other people are riding it, so there hasn't been a whole lot of awkwardness. Why should it be any more awkward if you're by yourself than if you are a party of 2 and get put in a raft with a party of 4? You're still two different parties. Maybe they wanted their own raft, but the CMs are going to fill up the rafts and keep the line moving as much as possible. If it's not you, then someone else is going in there, so I wouldn't worry too much about being a third wheel.

I've had experiences where we've talked the whole ride and I've had experiences where we haven't said a word to each other. So I think it varies.

• Wishing I was at the DLR!

Quote Originally Posted by melmel
    The most awkward single rider attraction is Mulholland Madness.
    Yes, I totally agree! I think it's awkward because you're SO close to the person next to you. It violates personal space.

When I did single rider on Mulholland Madness I sat with a very tall man and his two kids sat in front. The mans arms & legs kept touching mine - yucky.

• I'm not really here

Yeah, that could definitely be a fun killer depending on who you get put with. Like Mr. Tall and Lanky

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• People move me

Mr tall and lanky doesn't like being touched either!! (Thats why I dont single ride)
    Dont be frightend, I'm just a friendly Monster....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123