Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Single Rider: Awkward sharing a seat with strangers?

Grizzly River run is a bit uncomfortable because you have to face people you don't know, and they you....even though they weren't single rider!

I think all the other rides, you don't actually have to look at who you are sitting next to, and make conversation.

Also, you are sort of required to express enthusiasm.

If you don't smile, and scream, and yelp......and all the rest of them are.....it seems strange.

• white and nerdy

Re: Single Rider: Awkward sharing a seat with strangers?

I love sitting with strangers in GRR. You meet some very interesting people who will soaked.

The random conversations in Disneyland can be very fun.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• Grumpy old man

I was with strangers on GRR. They provided very good entertainment. They were these really preppy SoCal Valley girl types who screeched everytime they got wet like it was some sort of surprise you'd get wet on a water ride.

It was 3 of them, 4 of us, and one single rider who was hitting on the girls. It was kind of fun.

I'd probably be uncomfortable on a ride where my butt would only be a couple inches from some stranger's rear...

• white and nerdy

ah... if Disneyland isn't about random butt encounters then I don't know why I go.

one time some fella tried to get in the mattarhorn with me... on my lap.... yeah... that didn't happen.

But single ridiers lines are great places to meet people and have fun conversations.
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

Well groups of three or more, maybe....

But my experience on GRR.....was they put me with a couple that, I got the distinct impression, wanted to be alone.

And, they waited in the normal line.

Why should they have to be saddled with some unknown single rider?

I felt like I was intruding.

And then, I didn't know where to look, as I was sitting right across from them, and had no choice but to look in their direction.

Single rider is great when you are welcomed and you like who you're next to.

I think on GRR, some of the ride goers are under the impression, that if they stand in the normal line, they get a raft to themselves.

And, they don't like a third wheel (single rider) tagging along.

It can be uncomfortable.

I like the single rider lines. Yes you sit with strangers but I don't care. Most people have no idea what that means when the CM assigns you to their vacant seat.

I'm used to getting funny looks though.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• madaboutdisney

i'm ok sitting with strangers, but i love the ones who make the ride even more fun. I remember once Shipwreckrapids at seaworld, me and my friends were aiming for this 10 times in a row thing (crowds were low so we got to stay on) and these people who were originally riding it once, rode it five times with us. it was a blast!

i think the most awkward ride if you had to hvae a partner everytime would be matterhorn. I don't want some random person sitting on my lap! or me sitting on them! thank goodness they let you go single.
    I Gravitate towards anything that Sparkles

• Banned User

I love sitting with stangers! I love chatting with them seeing where they are from and i just tell them i go to the Disneyland 3 times a month telling them trivia and more.

• Popular Princess

sitting with strangers on grizzly river run is fun because you all have something in common, you're about to get wet! it's fun to talk to the people to find out where they're from and if this is their first time. i always come prepared with flip flops, occassionally a poncho, and sometimes a bathing suit top. first timers always look surprised at this. it's even funnier when the first timers first get wet because they look so surprised yet so happy!

i would hate to have to sit next to someone on any other ride because you really don't have that much time to talk.
    I'd rather be at Disneyland

At least they don't do single rider for Matterhorn :P

• Premium Youngling and

Smile Re: Single Rider: Awkward sharing a seat with strangers?

Even though it is quite awkward at first to sit next to someone you dont know, once you start talking, you can have some really interesting times and hear some really interesting stories getting to know some of these people.
    Last edited by Abominable Snowman; 08-17-2006 at 09:00 PM.

I feel Grizzly River Rapids is the least awkward SR. Because:
    - You're not in somebody's photo
    - Generally there are at least two parties
    - and you don't sit behind or next to just one person
    - Most people are courteous and social. Once, a group of three teenagers offered their bread from Boudin's to the other people on the raft.

I mean with Splash Mountain, I've been put in the middle of a party of five, and that was awkward.

• Man O Lantern

As a parent whose been doing the switch pass for nine years, you get pretty used to going on rides either alone or with strangers.

It's weird on coasters, cause you don't know whether to laugh or scream like you normally would.

Now that the kids are older, I can bring a kiddo with me on the rides, so I'm not alone anymore, but we also have a family of FIVE. An odd number. So one of us parents has to ride alone or with strangers here and there....so again, good thing we're used to it.

• Mountain Dew User

Blog Entries

I don't really like Splash Mountain's single rider either... You sit too close to people you don't know and if your wearing a hat on the final drop it flys back in hit's the stranger in the face, that has happened to me twice, luckily both timnes they caught it.. lol

Grizly River Run is okay, I did that about 20 times in 30 minutes, I like it better because of the fact that your all not crammed together (sorta) and you can laugh at the people being their first time on it... oh yeah, another good thing about splash... it's dark and you dont have to look at them

Quote Originally Posted by stinkerbell
    It's weird on coasters, cause you don't know whether to laugh or scream like you normally would.
    I react like normal.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast