Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• It's all nonsense

Will the Characters Ever Sing Again?

Anyone notice that the modern Disney movies don't involve Characters singing? We are not recieving any memorable soundtracks from newer movies like we did with films such as the lion king, mary poppins, and Aladdin.
    Are we ever going to see the return of original (non pop), musical style soundtracks to Disney movies?
    How can Disneyland ever incorporate newer movies into entertainment like parades without any memorable music?

Re: Will the Characters Ever Sing Again?

the last current movie I remember the characters singing in was "Chicken Little" but they were just remakes, not an original song.

I wish they would have some movies where the characters sing again. It was part of what made Disney movies so memorable.

• Vehicle rotating backward

I don't mind good music, but I'm glad they no longer spontaneously need to put on a musical.

When Walt had singing characters, he put them in a situation that made sense. Snow White sang Whistle While You Work to try to make housework appear easier and fun to the dwarves. Once Upon a Dream was when Aurora was wandering alone in the woods and daydreaming. Cinderelly was while the mice were working together to build the dress so they basically needed a song to cover the montage of the dress being made.

There was at least a logical setup to the characters singing in the Walt era. In the Alan Menken era, there almost never is. Characters just start singing and other characters don't look at them weird but simply join in. It's like they're trying to introduce broadway-style directing in here, and I've never been able to deal with it.

That stupid phenomenon of characters just bursting into song after a few minutes of dialog peaked at Hunchback, I think. I like Hunchback, but gosh, I feel like I can fast-forward through a few songs. They started leaving that behind with Hercules.

• Santa Barbara, CA

Roseanne Barr killed it for the rest of them.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• I'm not really here

I agree. Disney shouldn't try to re-invent themselves, they need to stick with the formula that made them the household name they are. Bring in new technologies, new stories, but stick to what they do best. Songs for the little ones to sing and for us to get addicted to as well.

I still know the words to all the Little Mermaid songs, and Snow White, etc. That's what made those movies so amazing.

Not to mention the fact that Disney was the first to sell a movie soundtrack. It was Snow White.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

•   

Hopefully John Lasseter knows what is needed and brings that all back. He's smart enough to know to tap back into 2D so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt to bring back some of that old feel.
    I personally think we NEED to bring back movies with Mickey and all his pals. There's nothing out there anymore! And I don't mean the new computerized bugged out Mickey. I'm talking good ol fashioned 2D Mickey.
    Remember, it all started with a mouse......but where has he been??

• I'm not really here

I'm so with you... Mickey should reside in 2D. I'm all for new technology and all that, but Mickey and friends just don't work very well in 3D. Last movie they did was the 3 Musketeers. Was cute. Hopefully now that Pixar has merged in, they can take over all 3D production and Disney Animation can remain focused on 2D. If it's got a good story (Lasseter will definitely push for that one), and the animation is good (Disney can definitely do good 2D when they want to), people will go and see it. They need to get their name back. It's like they are having an identity crisis. Everyone else is jumping on the 3d bandwagon and Disney doesn't seem to know what to do. They've just kind of stopped mid-transition and it's really hurting them.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Minion FOREVER!

Let's see... it's not that long ago.... the last was Chicken Little which is the
    last Disney animation effort. So with John Lasseter bring back 2D, I'm pretty
    sure that they'll be singing again. I guess before that was Home on the Range?
    I don't think there was any singing in Brother Bear or Treasure Planet.

BTW. does anyone know if there's any singing in Ratatouille? (I can't believe
    that I know how to spell that! :-) I can easily see at least one French chanson
    in this one! (But I doubt Randy Newman is someone I'll pick to write one!) :-)

Hey, shouldn't this thread be in the Disney Business section? I thought that I
    was reading about characters singing in the park.

• Minion FOREVER!

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    I don't mind good music, but I'm glad they no longer spontaneously need to put on a musical.

When Walt had singing characters, he put them in a situation that made sense. Snow White sang Whistle While You Work to try to make housework appear easier and fun to the dwarves. Once Upon a Dream was when Aurora was wandering alone in the woods and daydreaming. Cinderelly was while the mice were working together to build the dress so they basically needed a song to cover the montage of the dress being made.

There was at least a logical setup to the characters singing in the Walt era. In the Alan Menken era, there almost never is. Characters just start singing and other characters don't look at them weird but simply join in. It's like they're trying to introduce broadway-style directing in here, and I've never been able to deal with it.

That stupid phenomenon of characters just bursting into song after a few minutes of dialog peaked at Hunchback, I think. I like Hunchback, but gosh, I feel like I can fast-forward through a few songs. They started leaving that behind with Hercules.
    yup, this is very true. They definitely went Broadway with the placement of
    the songs and the types of songs. I

• It's all nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by nish221
    yup, this is very true. They definitely went Broadway with the placement of
    the songs and the types of songs.
    I'd rather have memorable broadway then nothing at all.

Several have mentioned chicken little. Does anyone remember the music of that abysmal movie? That film was a horrible mark on Disney's record.

• keh!

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania

i don't think that's necessarily true... the songs in beauty in the beast, aladdin, and hunchback were all great. i love the songs, i'd rather have them sing instead of lumiere telling belle: "well, we have wine, let's see... anything else on the menu? um, some desert, oh yeah, and you're our guest." songs are a great way to tell the story a little quicker w/o dull conversations, they can fit many points in a song they're trying to get across w/ all the visual appealing lighting and visuals... imagine if sebastian were to just say "hey ariel, don't go up there, you belong down here, it's fun here."..... *crickets chirp* yeah, it wouldn't work out that way, let's have some music.

• Minion FOREVER!

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Hatter
    I'd rather have memorable broadway then nothing at all.

Several have mentioned chicken little. Does anyone remember the music of that abysmal movie? That film was a horrible mark on Disney's record.
    Bunch of 70's music.... let's see.. Queen's "We are the champions" ,
    and "don't go break'n my heart" (forgot who... BG's?) are the ones that I think
    they sing to.

BTW. IMHO, Chicken Little wasn't too bad.... It was at least on par with
    Home on the Range.... I'm no way saying it was great. It was actually
    much better than some people said and it was entertaining. But to me,
    it was far from horrible.

Have you seen Black Cauldron? Or Return of Jafar? or Cindy 2? Those IMHO are
    "black" marks.

• It's all nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by nish221
    Bunch of 70's music.... let's see.. Queen's "We are the champions" ,
    and "don't go break'n my heart" (forgot who... BG's?) are the ones that I think
    they sing to.
    I'll give it to you that the characters sang in Chicken Little. However singing unoriginal mainstream pop tunes doesn't count IMO.

• Just this guy......

With the success of “High School musical”, I’m sure that the Disney management are re-thinking their views on having musical numbers in movies.

• Minion FOREVER!

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Hatter
    I'll give it to you that the characters sang in Chicken Little. However singing unoriginal mainstream pop tunes doesn't count IMO.
    Well, I grant you that it's a far cry from Pinnochio and "When you wish upon a star"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast