• =)

World record for Disneyland Railroad?

So, I was wondering...is there an official record for greatest number of consecutive round trips on the Disneyland Railroad? A quick attempt at Google searching produced no useful results...

Yes, you can fall asleep and have the record count.

• I'm not really here

Re: World record for Disneyland Railroad?

I think the Disney Imaginering book I have at home has something about it in there. I know it's got the monorails info. I'll have a look here in an hour or so...if no one else has posted.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Closed Account

Not that I'm aware of...sounds like something to try!

Of course, you'd be limited by the fact that they don't run the trains 24 hours a day. If a train make 3 round trips an hour, you'd probably be able to get in maybe 48 trips if you got on at 8 in the morning and got off at Midnight.

• It's all nonsense

You could bring snacks to eat...but you'd miss a few laps from having to use the facilities.

• pronounced, Casey Jr. 1

i've only gone on it a total of 3 times

Quote Originally Posted by ksejr1
    i've only gone on it a total of 3 times
    We use it as transportation.

• I'm not really here

Ok, found it in Walt Disney Imagineering: A Behind the Dreams Look at Making the Magic Real, pp 115. "Since [1955], the trains at Disneyland have traveled a distance that equals circling the globe more than 150 times."

24,901.55 miles * 150 = 3,735,232.5 miles. WOW! That's a lot of trips through Primevil World.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16
    Ok, found it in Walt Disney Imagineering: A Behind the Dreams Look at Making the Magic Real, pp 115. "Since [1955], the trains at Disneyland have traveled a distance that equals circling the globe more than 150 times."

24,901.55 miles * 150 = 3,735,232.5 miles. WOW! That's a lot of trips through Primevil World.
    Unfortunately, this is just another one of those stories written by a creative copywriter that is, unfortunately, just plain false, as I discuss in my book.

The Disneyland Railroad mainline is 1.5 miles long. Usually, Disney runs three trains simultaneously; however, during busier times, four trains might take to the rails, and slow winter operations might only see two. One will never see a single train operating at the park--an edict by Walt. We'll therefor use three-train operation as our "average."

With three trains in operation, each train will make a complete 1.5 mile circuit in maybe 20 minutes, or three times an hour (I'm being conservative with these numbers; sometimes it takes longer to make the trip). That means between the typical operating hours of 9:00 a.m. and Midnight, a single train will travel 4.5 miles in one hour, multiplied by 15 hours a day, for a total of 67.5 miles for a single train. Using three-train operation, with each train covering 67.5 miles, in a single day, the total miles covered by all three trains equals 202.5 train-miles.

On July 17, 2005, Disneyland celebrated its 50th year of operation, or 18,250 days. This does not include, of course, the years when Disneyland was closed varios days of the week during its history (for many years of the park's history, Disneyland was closed on Mondays and Tuesdays), and other lengthy down times, for such things as attraction construction along its mainline (Splash Mountain, the Dioramas, etc), realignment of the mainline (also done several times, and probably requiring several months downtime), or other major rehabs.

So, if we take our three-train daily miles total of 202.5, and multiply that by the overly-high number of 18,250 days of operation, we get 3,695,625 train-miles covered since openeing day.

Now, if we assume the earth's circumference is 24,854 miles at the Equator, and then divide that into our train-miles number, we get only 148.7 times around the Earth.

That's close, except Disneyland didn't get its third train until 3 years after it opened, in 1958. And while a fourth engine was addes in 1959, only three trains could operate over the next 6 years, until new cars were built for additional trainsets!

The bad news is, Disney got it wrong. But the good news is that, eventually, the statistic will be correct...for probably not for a few more years.

• I'm not really here

Well done with the math there. I love working things out like that. Coming up only 2 circumferences short isn't bad at all. I don't know what numbers Disney used. They may have just rounded because when you are dealing in numbers that huge it becomes a "for all intents and purposes" kind of thing. It's still and incredibly huge distance for those trains to travel.

We should work out their reported distance for the WDW monorails sometime. Wonder how far off that one is.

It would be interesting to know if they are counting track distance to parking/maint sheds into the total. Or if they know something about the length of the track that we don't. Even a short 200 feet extra track would be significant distance when multiplied by the vast number of round-trips.

Does anyone know the exactly length of the DLR track?

• Quality not quantity

Errr that's all quite interesting but the original poster requested to know "consecutive round trips" as in what's the most round trips a guest has taken.

So far, kseje1 claims the record at 3. Anyone wanna claim the king of the hill?
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

-Mark Twain

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Would someone really want to board the train at Park Opening, and then continually ride the train around the park, without getting off?

• Lost in Wonderland

I've only rode it twice consecutively when I was tired and needed a break with a view.

• Quality not quantity

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann
    Would someone really want to board the train at Park Opening, and then continually ride the train around the park, without getting off?
    Well...

Given some of the dumb interesting things humans have tried in the past, I've have to say: Yes. There is probably someone out there who's thinking it sounds like a good challenge.

Perhaps as a fun raiser or generating awareness of some cause like the guy that's currently running 28 Marathons in 28 days....
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

-Mark Twain

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16
    Well done with the math there. I love working things out like that. Coming up only 2 circumferences short isn't bad at all.
    My assumption are that the railroad ran every day since day one, with three trains. For much (maybe half) of its history, the park has run 2 trains, 5 days a week. That makes the equation far off from being only two circumferences off--especially when the spiel prior to October 2004 stated the trains have covered enough track to circle the globe "more" than 150 times.

Way off, I'm afraind.

• FastPass n00b

Hmmm, it seems there are still some MiceChatters who have not read Steve's book yet. I don't mean to plug anything here, but that book is a really good read. I learned stuff about the railroad that I've never known before, but after I read it everything made perfect sense.

I'm sorry to say it kinda took some of the magic out of the trains, knowing how they work now, but overall I'm really glad I read it. Instead of seeing them as some ride propelled by some magic force, I see them as mechanical wonders operating with an army of deeply dedicated staff. I still appreciate them, but it's a different type of appreciation now.

Anyway, Steve discusses this topic in his book and I highly recommend it for anyone interested in the train system. It's not some 300-page general overview, it's actually very fragmented and quite detailed, but the information is fascinating and priceless.