Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• On Autopilot

What was the "Observatron"?

I hear about this "Observatron" thingy within Tommorow Land. Is it that thing where the Astro Orbiters originally were? And what purpose does it have? Is it just some funky statue or does (did) it move around and do something?

• My cuties!

I was wondering the same thing....

• For old time sake

It used to move, but i doubt it does now. It truly serves no purpose except to remind us how cool it used to be to ride the rockets way up there.
    Katie
    Founding member of the BA I LOVE us!!!
    FIGHT ON!!!!!!

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

It's a worthless piece of crud. Was suppossed to "Communicate with other life forms" by sending out bright beams of light until Pressler cut the budget and then the lights looked like 60 watt house bulbs. They need to tear that eyesore down...
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

• Clear for Dispatch

It is an attraction situated in the same place where the Rocket Jets used to be. It has I think 5 arms facing outwards that have "radars" at the end and in the middle of the attraction is another "radar" looking thing. When it is in operation, every fifteen minutes, the Observatron begins spinning. As it does so it begins playing one of four musical scores edited specifically for the Observatron. These include the themes from the movies "Iron Will", "The Rocketeer", and "Le Visionarium" from Disneyland Paris (a.k.a. the Timekeeper from Disneyworld). The last score is the soundtrack to the original Space Mountain at Disneyland Paris. As the Observatron spins, the arms move up and down. Finally at the crescendo of each score, the middle radar which is in a closed position opens up like a blooming flower. Many people on these boards hate the Observatron, but I always liked it. Especially at night when the radars themselves would light up. I guess the budget was cut for this "attraction" as it was supposed to shoot out lasers as well. Nevertheless, I was always happy with the end result especially since it complemented the Rocket Rods loading are when they were working and added to the sense of movement in Tomorrowland.

• Just this guy......

In the original plans of the redesign of Tomorrowland the "Observatron" was going to be part of a nighttime show with lights and lasers. But due to the budget cuts, which also hurt the rocket rods, the "Observatron” was left with just spinning to music.

• Official Mice Chat person

So much budget cuts! The observation used to be really cool, and it sounds like it could have even been cooler! TL 98 was not a bad idea, it was a great idea, cutting the budget was a bad idea!!

• враг народа

Blog Entries
    I remember reading somewhere that orginally the light show was also going to be done suring the day. WDI had a light so powerful it could be clearly seen during day. This however was not killed by budgets but that it was before Disneyland's airspace was closed and the FAA didn't like the idea.

The Observatron is in fact the original base of the Rocket Jets, sans ride vehicles, and repainted and redecorated. Talk about saving money!

• Still wants to be a cat!

A waste of space right now!
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

• Banned User

The Observatron is a gigantic neural transmitter stationed in Tomorrowland that emits subconscious signals directly into the cerebral cortex of Disneyland visitors. When a visitor enters the park and has their pass scanned, their identification, found within the barcode on their pass, is instantly transmitted to the Parkwide Observatron Operational Processing System, or POOPS. This system compiles and maintains data lists of all attractions, restaurants, and areas that a guest visits, compiling individualized demographics for every park guest. Then, every fifteen minutes, the Observatron gets the POOPS signals and begins to cycle. As the individual arms begin to extend and rotate, laser carried messages are shot out across the park into the minds of various guests, implanting urges to visit certain eateries or shops and purchase "guest specific" items. This is accomplished through the use of a program called Product Intensification, Neural Stimulation, or PINS. Thus, TDA is able to ensure a customer base for certain items which otherwise would not sell well.

• Official Mice Chat person

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzman
    The Observatron is a gigantic neural transmitter stationed in Tomorrowland that emits subconscious signals directly into the cerebral cortex of Disneyland visitors. When a visitor enters the park and has their pass scanned, their identification, found within the barcode on their pass, is instantly transmitted to the Parkwide Observatron Operational Processing System, or POOPS. This system compiles and maintains data lists of all attractions, restaurants, and areas that a guest visits, compiling individualized demographics for every park guest. Then, every fifteen minutes, the Observatron gets the POOPS signals and begins to cycle. As the individual arms begin to extend and rotate, laser carried messages are shot out across the park into the minds of various guests, implanting urges to visit certain eateries or shops and purchase "guest specific" items. This is accomplished through the use of a program called Product Intensification, Neural Stimulation, or PINS. Thus, TDA is able to ensure a customer base for certain items which otherwise would not sell well.
    Sounds like something Eisner would want.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzman

Interesting.. and Hilarious... Fits perfectly...

I wish it worked.. and was what it was designed to be at least...

• Santa Barbara, CA

Real truth..

The "Observatron" is still there because it will become the title of the next Jerry Bruckheimer movie. "Observatron, countdown to extinction" opens this summer and according to leaks at the studio and jim Hill, the plot goes something like this. There is an ancient device programmed to guard the galaxy..The old Observatron, but there is an evil emperor (Borg Pressler) who is closing the galaxy a planet at a time in trade for pins. The observatron has sent a message out to anyone who had gold touchup paint and an idea to put into the Carousel Theater. An alien circus circles the old observatron, only to find out it is a rusted carny ride from earth. Then there's some love scene with the hero Brad Pitt and Lindsey Lohan and a cute robot. I think Herbie shows up eventually and fights off a few Rocket Rods with a Churro.

Pressler is defeated when he's thrown into this sucking black hole called The Gap. Ron Miller directs.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• Be-Bop Bear

Avondale, AZ (but wishing I was in Anaheim...)
    The Observatron was interesting... when it worked. I have to admit, though, that I never really "got" it. While it added a bit of movement to Tomorrowland, I though of it more as just a sad reminder of what used to be there.

I think that calling it an "attraction" is going a bit too far (don't you think? Indupidubly!)
    "George Bush... is only for now."
    Avenue Q

Just because it's gone doesn't mean I changed my mind!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast