Cool Skippers do Standup

Most people love the Jungle Cruise, this was a chance to see some of them without their usual Disney leashes. Some of the skips, past and present, have chosen to do a standup show at the Maverick Theater in Fullerton on Sunday Aug 20th at 8pm. This is actually the second show, the first one was back in July. It's $10, I attended the last show and plan on attending this one as well. The last one was hysterical, well worth it. I know many Skippers have gone on to be professional standups and hopefully some of these ones will make that choice as well. There is a lot of creative talent out there on the river.

Sadly I wasn't able to post this in time, tickets are completely sold out but there is always a chance of people canceling their plans so it may be worth showing up or calling ahead to see if they have any openings. http://www.maverickstandup.com also Koenig interviewed several skips and posted it on mouseplanet, the interview was definitely interesting. Rumor has it he may even be at the show.

I wasn't planning on starting any new Best Jungle threads (best skipper, best memory, best joke etc.) and seeing as the Jungle is completely full of the 06 I doubt anyone has any recent memories anyhow. Feel free to post any memories if you want and good luck on getting into the show.

• Lost in Wonderland

Re: Skippers do Standup

That's so awesome! I wish I could go, but sadly I live too far away and the tickets being sold out is another problem. Have fun and I would love to read a report of it if you feel up to it after! It sounds a lot of fun.

• Minion

aww man, thats one thing my dad would so bring me to...too bad tickets are out

• A guy walks into a bar...

The first one was a resounding success. The show tomorrow is completely sold out. I don't want to speak for the organizers of the show, but if past performance is anything to go by, there will be a third show. Stay tuned...

This internet message board posting does not reflect the thoughts or opinions of either my company, my friends, or my cat; don't quote me on that; don't quote me on anything; all rights reserved; you may distribute this message freely but you may not make a profit from it; terms are subject to change without notice; illustrations are slightly enlarged to show detail; any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, is unintentional and purely coincidental; do not remove this disclaimer under penalty of law; hand wash only, tumble dry on low heat; do not bend, fold, mutilate, or spindle; your mileage may vary; no substitutions allowed; for a limited time only; this message is void where prohibited, taxed, or otherwise restricted; Contest ends 12-31-2099.

• A guy walks into a bar...

Big thanks to everyone who showed up and supported the Skippers! The place was packed! Keep an eye on www.maverickstandup.com for Skipper Stand Up 3!

This internet message board posting does not reflect the thoughts or opinions of either my company, my friends, or my cat; don't quote me on that; don't quote me on anything; all rights reserved; you may distribute this message freely but you may not make a profit from it; terms are subject to change without notice; illustrations are slightly enlarged to show detail; any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, is unintentional and purely coincidental; do not remove this disclaimer under penalty of law; hand wash only, tumble dry on low heat; do not bend, fold, mutilate, or spindle; your mileage may vary; no substitutions allowed; for a limited time only; this message is void where prohibited, taxed, or otherwise restricted; Contest ends 12-31-2099.

Talking Re: Skippers do Standup

I'm not sure who is reading this thread since it is buried under loads of crap. Anyhow Standup was amazing. The crowd seemed tougher this time. The first standup caught everyone by surprise. The only thing I could think of was people read the reviews of the first show, and expected the same results or had higher expectations even though the lineup was different.

People have to remember that Jungle, while having the potential to be improv, is scripted. Standup is you, on your own, and you have to write your own material and rely on your own experiences. There have been many skippers who have moved on to become professional comics, but none of them were performing at this show. The skips are funny, but they are still learning, give them credit for being funny, and for being brave enough to standup in front of an audience and try to make people laugh.

I'm not berating the show, I loved it, to me the laughs were there. Some jokes were inside jabs meant for fellow skips or disney buffs (AP's) but the majority of it was fresh material from people who have never attempted standup before. Not to mention the videos. If you haven't gone keep an eye on maverickstandup.com for the next show. They mentioned November, but no definate date. The last two shows sold out fast and it's worth the $10.

going to the movies is $10, buying a churro at Disneyland is almost $10, so save a churro and skip a blockbuster, go see something original.
    Last edited by 6shot; 08-22-2006 at 09:28 PM.