My idea for DCA Halloween Treat

I remember looking at pictures of last year's event and was wondering why so little was actually done. Here are some of my ideas from the top of my head.

1. Hook's Pirate Barges: The GRR is spruced up with pirate props, fog is added to the caves, live pirates jump out at guests, and the stern of a shipwrecked ship is placed utop the Bear with it's Jolly Rodger flying.

2. Alien Ecounter: Soarin' is spruced up with a sci-fi theme and a new film is created where you are abducted by the aliens in the film Chicken Little. You encounter other space crafts as well as alien worlds. If Chicken Little causes too much outrage, the same idea could be done with Zurg.

3. Malificent's Revenge: California Screamin' is lit with dark purple lights and the tunnels are replaced with black fabric. The first tunnel has Malificent head (in dragon form) open wide with red fog spilling from the tunnel. Black vines could even be added to the structures.

4. Cruella's Crazed Car Coaster: Muholland Madness gets a makeover with facades that have Cruelle De'Ville in her ride with working headlights. Sound effects are added such as car horns and screeching tires to liven up the ride.

5. Oogie Boogie's Villian Revue: The Hyperion Theatre presents a musical revue featuring original songs from Disney Villians. The sidekicks sing a song together (the eels, Pain and Panic, trolls from Sleeping Beauty, etc), the femme fatales of Disney sing together (Cruella, Malificent, Evil Queen), Ursula could have a lounge number, the men (Gaston, Hook, Hades)... Just a bunch of fun songs from the other side.

Then there can also be a variety of mazes available:
    1. Slaughter Studios: Millionare building or Hollywood and Dine is made over like a film studio from the 30's with phantasm starlets, ghastly directors, and crazed camera men. Beware edditor, he might just cut you out of the picture.

2. Trail of Terror: Wilderness trail lays host to the legendary monsters of the forest such as vampires, werewolves, and bigfoot.

3. Grasshopper Gultch: The tractors are removed from the area in front of Flicks Fun Fair to make way for a maze themed around giant spiders, hornets, and of course Hopper himself.

I also thought it would be cool to redo the giant orange as a giant Jack'o'lantern for this time of year.

Let me know what you like, what you don't, and what ideas you have.

• Premium Youngling and

Re: My idea for DCA Halloween Treat

Ok some things I like, some things I hate. First, remember this is the Disney Resort and not Knotts Scary Farm. Mazes like Slaughter Studios wouldnt work on this property. I like the idea of the villan show in the Hyperion and the GRR idea is also pretty cool. The other ideas, not too fond of. Sorry

Well, the name Slaughter studios could be changed, but I tried to make the mazes scary without being horrific. Having them filled with ghosts and different effects rather than dummies covered in blood.

And I know Dinsey is different from Knotts Scary Farm, but Disney should attempt at reaching the same level of involvement to target the family/younger audience. Knotts Scary Farm kept Knotts alive for years, Disney is missing out on a huge oppertunity if they continue to underplay Halloween. DCA being as dead as it is, they could get away with closing down areas to make rooms for some well done spooky mazes.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

No on the mazes - AbominableSnowman1 is right - this is Disneyland, not Knott's.

As for Oogie's Villain Revue, Malificent's Revenge, and Hook's Barge, the ideas sound good... but unfortunately, the latter two simply wouldn't fit with the themes of the lands. If these were ONLY additions of Mickey's Halloween Treat, this would work, but the additions sound too substantial for just a quick makeover for an evening special-ticket event. I don't think these attraction makeovers would be appropriate for a full-on seasonal overlay. Why would Hook be in the middle of the Golden State, anyway?

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey
    No on the mazes - AbominableSnowman1 is right - this is Disneyland, not Knott's.

As for Oogie's Villain Revue, Malificent's Revenge, and Hook's Barge, the ideas sound good... but unfortunately, the latter two simply wouldn't fit with the themes of the lands. If these were ONLY additions of Mickey's Halloween Treat, this would work, but the additions sound too substantial for just a quick makeover for an evening special-ticket event. I don't think these attraction makeovers would be appropriate for a full-on seasonal overlay. Why would Hook be in the middle of the Golden State, anyway?
    These additions would be up all month, but the show and mazes and live people would only be there durring the Treat. And the way to explain the changes is advertising. Have a commercial where Oogie is trying one-up Jack by taking over an entire themepark instead of just a ride. Or you could just have the ads feature all the Disney Villians taking over DCA and redecorating.

And as for the mazes...mazes doesn't have to equal Knotts. Universal had them, Magic Mountain, as well as tons of tiny little parks across the country (Castle Park of Riverside). Even pumpkin patches feature haunted hayrides or mazes through the corn fields. This tradition has been around for ages. So assuming that Disney's mazes would be gory, terrifying, and adult like those at Knotts is a tad presumptuous (sp?). Many Disney attractions were originally thought of as a walk-through...so why can't Disney make semi-attractions with visual effects and live performers that are family safe. A haunted movie studio, a haunted forest, and a maze made after the momment in Tough to be a Bug. Spooky and fun....not horror.

• Premium Youngling and

FYI The mazes at Universal and Magic Mountain are exactly like Knotts. Even if they are at pumpkin patches, that doesnt mean it will fit in at DL. Not tryin to make enemies or anything but I just dont think it would work. If kids are too scared to get on rides like Monsters Inc. I highly doubt we could get them to go through a haunted forest. Once again... sorry.

(100th post!!!!)

• ...TWO BITS!

^ I think he meant mazes like Alice's Labyrinth. Here you are trying to find a way out. You encounter characters, not scarers, and decor, SFX lighting, sound, and fog...

I did a corn maze once. I think it was supposed to look like a church from a bird's eye view. Anyway, the vorn maze was about maybe 6 feet high. each group had a flag and they ran around trying to find a way out. People at the finish line has a balcony to look out at other people and shout where they could go.

So this corn maze and Alice's Labyrinth is very family friendly.

Universal, Knotts, and 6 flags are similar in that there's only one path you must take and people scare you.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• Why do you keep talking?

I think he's just taking the Knott's word "maze" and he means a walk-through with a set path. I think the feel of the mazes he wants is like a walk-through ToT or Haunted Mansion (Slaughter Studios being the Phantom Manor ), something spooky but fun and still Disney, nothing on the level of Knott's or Universal.

Personally I love the ideas, but it would never happen (at most the show would work well) and I would LOVE to see Alien Encounter (WDW) be brought back from the dead in DCA.
    "Tonight I wash my hands of you
    You set the bar I could not live up to
    Tonight the light is breaking through
    So thank you very little and send me postcards from hell"
    Zebrahead

• MICE~CHAT Resident DJ

Being a big Knott's HH fan for the last 8 years, I'd die for something like this to come to the DLR. You could make some creepy stuff out at DCA. With the whole bug land, and all the open walkways, phew.....possibilities could be endless. Wishful thinking though.