Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• It's all about Theme!

Exclamation Has anyone else seen this???

If you look from the Golden Horeshoe to New Orleans Square, I usually see a ship rising from behind the buildings. Can anyone tell me what this is?
    Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
    "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
    -August 1st 2010

And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
    -August 2nd 2010

• Closed Account

Re: Has anyone else seen this???

There are several threads on this. Depending on what you believe, it's either

1) A detail placed there to add to the theme and create atmosphere; or

2) There to hide lighting fixtures.

Personally, I go with No. 1.

• Minion

when i went on the VMK tour, a cast member said that to get the feel of new orlean square, they put a "ship" over there to give it the feel that you are between two ports. the other port being columbia's

• no flash photography...

When I went on the VMK tour they said the themeing idea was a nice thought, but it was false. It's there to hide lighting....LOL

That's one of the many thematic elements that makes Disney Disney. NOS is themed to a turn of the century NO, so the sails elaborate the theme.
    Forget 'Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln,' Samantha Brown is Disney's most sophisticated animatronic.
    Tokyo Disneyland: 2009, 2012
    Disneyland Paris: 2010
    Hong Kong Disneyland: 2012
    Universal Orlando: 2007, 2010 (twice!)
    Efteling:2011
    Lotte World: 2012

• Dreaming of Disneyland...

I've seen it and i believe that it is part of the NO theme.
    SUPPORT THE CM's!

• I'm not really here

There used to be something involving colored spotlights placed all around the park. Or at least there was going to be. When they ended the show or it didn't go (I can't remember which), it was just cheaper to leave the lights up there rather than take them down. In order to hide the lights from guests, some kind of a scrim needed to be created that blended in with the them of NOS. What better than ships sails above the building line? So both answers are correct, they are hiding the lights and they are part of the thematic elements of the land.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Dont make me unfriend you

I don't buy the "hide the lights" story. Many buildings on Main St have large work lights on them. While the park is opened, the light poles are laying down on the roofs and can't be seen from the street. Once the park closes, hydraulic jacks are used to make the poles stand up and the work lights are turned on. Before the park is opened, the lights are turned off and the jacks lower the poles back to laying down and invisible to the public.

I don't see why lights in NO would be any different. Just rise the lights when needed and lower them when they aren't. (Like they do for F!)

I have heard both ideas for the mast in NOS, but the themeing story line is the one that I have heard the most. It seems to make sense to me.

• Hooterville, USA

On our tour, they said it was to hide the lighting too!

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

Picture, anyone?...

The ship sails first appeared in Imagineer Herb Ryman's original "New Orleans Square Overview" painting from the mid 1960's. It was his idea to place them there to give the illusion of another body of water behind New Orleans Square. But they were never built with the original NOS construction.

Fast Forward to many years later when Imagineer Eddie Sotto was in charge of show quality at Disneyland and used his "discretionary budget" to finally complete Herb's original idea of the ship masts on the roofs of the buildings of NOS.

Now whether Eddie was "inspired" to use his discretionary funds to place the masts there to hide any lighting fixtures...I can't say, as I don't recall anything about that...if that was the case.

• Mousketeer

Do you know when this was, because I seem to remember the sails back in the 70's, maybe it is a false memory, but they have been around for a long while

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by goldenstate5
    Picture, anyone?...
    um yeah !! come on, if your going to tell us about something we need pictures man ! I am at a loss as to what your talking about, can some one get us a darn pic ??

• ...TWO BITS!

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett240
    I don't buy the "hide the lights" story. Many buildings on Main St have large work lights on them. While the park is opened, the light poles are laying down on the roofs and can't be seen from the street. Once the park closes, hydraulic jacks are used to make the poles stand up and the work lights are turned on. Before the park is opened, the lights are turned off and the jacks lower the poles back to laying down and invisible to the public.

I don't see why lights in NO would be any different. Just rise the lights when needed and lower them when they aren't. (Like they do for F!)
    Um, there are ALL KINDS of lighting fixtures/equipment. Who said anything about the NOS lights being exactly like MS??

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast