Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Should I drive down alone with 2yr old Nov?

Honestly, I'd wait. You'd have fun, sure! And he would have moments of fun, too - but it's SO hard to do it alone for days on end. Can you try to convince your mom (or a friend) to join you? If it were me, I'd wait till he was a little older...even though you'd have to pay.

But that's just my opinion...if you do decide to go, have a GREAT time!

• Disney worshipper/geek

You know, I hear a lot of parents give the go-ahead, but even thugh I often accompany my aunt with my niece whose about to be three, I say no. I see the hassle she has to go through and I see a lot of parents telling their kids,"Look at the *fill in the blank*" when these poor kids barely know where they are. It's pretty ridiculous. Just because something is free does not make it a good idea. If you want to let him run around, take him to a city park, is mainly how I feel. They may remember now for a little while, and a lot of parents say, oh they know what's going on, that is a joke. Plus, it's less hassle for the kids.
    My mind won't rest
    and I don't sleep
    Not even in my dreams...
    -"If You Ever Did Believe"
    written by Stevie Nicks

Chasen Matthew Pacheco
    1985-2005

Quote Originally Posted by sorceress1986
    You know, I hear a lot of parents give the go-ahead, but even thugh I often accompany my aunt with my niece whose about to be three, I say no. I see the hassle she has to go through and I see a lot of parents telling their kids,"Look at the *fill in the blank*" when these poor kids barely know where they are. It's pretty ridiculous. Just because something is free does not make it a good idea. If you want to let him run around, take him to a city park, is mainly how I feel. They may remember now for a little while, and a lot of parents say, oh they know what's going on, that is a joke. Plus, it's less hassle for the kids.
    I agree. If you were local, I'd say go for it...cause you could always cut your losses and go right back home if he was miserable (and you were, too!)...but you wouldn't be able to do that...and I know when we stayed at hotels when the boys were 2, it was stressful! They had a hard time sleeping, spent a lot of time on that dirty floor (hotel floors - yuck!) and they are not babyproofed in the least....

Just more food for thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Twinz4me
    Honestly, I'd wait. You'd have fun, sure! And he would have moments of fun, too - but it's SO hard to do it alone for days on end. Can you try to convince your mom (or a friend) to join you? If it were me, I'd wait till he was a little older...even though you'd have to pay.

But that's just my opinion...if you do decide to go, have a GREAT time!
    I have a friend who maybe could come up. But she works smack dab in the middle of the day. If she can go I would meet her. I agree with another post about overload. I soo want to see the Christmas stuff, but is this about ME wanting to go, or him? See my husband is going to Kansas and I have free time so I thought what the heck. The more I think about it the more I am coming to the conclusion that it may not work.
    Last edited by Leofoenget; 08-23-2006 at 10:26 AM.
    Janette

This message has been deleted by user.
    Last edited by ClubDisCM; 08-24-2006 at 01:31 PM.

DL contracts out child care service to local providers. I checked last time we were there.

Anyway... from SAN JOSE??? Jeebers! I'd go EVERY WEEKEND with my two-year-old if I lived that close.

We drove down in July of 2006 from Portland Oregon, two adults, three pre-teen girls and a two-year-old terror. And he pitched fits and he screamed and all that. But at least we were at Disneyland. Yes, it's true, there were more of us to take care of him, but still -- it's not that far, and at least you'll be there dealing with his behavior, instead of home dealing with his behavior. Right?
    "Say, uh, ever hear of the devil's paint pots? Real mystery of the desert. Bubblin' pots of mud in all kinds of colors."

• It's all nonsense

The park will still be busy even though you won't be there on Thanksgiving day.
    But I think you already answered your own question with mentioning the tantrums. Why would you want to take him if he's just going to freak out? It will not be enjoyable for either of you if that occurs alot.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Leofoenget
    TIPS PLEASE!!
    My sister has driven to Disneyland from San Ramon by herself with two of her kids who were 3 and 4 at the time. She gave them each one of those hand held DVD players and lots of Disney DVD's to watch on the drive. She also drove at a time that would coincide with their regular nap times so they'd sleep at least two hours of the drive. And she had lots of snacks for them. She was still pretty frazzled when she got there, but she survived.

Inside the park, things went pretty well except for when her 4 year old son disappeared for a few minutes while they were in Toon Town. She found him crying after she'd almost had a heart attack herself. I also lost one of my kids inside DL for a few minutes when she was 2 because she didn't want to wait in the long line for Dumbo so she took off running!

I think you will survive driving and taking your 2 year old to DL on your own...just don't expect everything to go totally smooth! Good luck!

• Sun Wheel survivor!

Please don't misunderstand this - but children who have trantrums at DL (or other public places) are not having a good time - nor are their parents - and what has not been mentioned here - is the impact this has on those around them waiting in line or in your immediate vicinity. Several people can be seen cringing and getting out of line (or out of a resturant or store) to get away from crying and screaming children having a meltdown.

So, I ask, why subject your child to something they are not yet ready to handle that leads to frustration and possibly anger - why subject yourself (and family) to a day of stress, tension, and frustration - and why subject others to the outbursts, screams and crying of your child.

Why make so many suffer because you (anyone - not a particular person) want your child to experience something? or you want to experience something and need to/choose to bring your child along?

Also - I feel that many rides (even in FL) have a scary component to them and small children at times cannot tell the difference between real and fantasy - they get frightened and upset - and do not have a good time. Why expose them to this? At what age can a child figure the out these differences in their own mind while on a ride or meeting a character? I have seen many of children (of various ages) get off of rides in tears because their parent misjudged what they could handle.

I have been going to the park off and on all summer (well really since Christmas) - I feel bad for the crying children having a meltdown because they don't understand, are over tired, had a scary experience, or are wound up from sugar and sensory overload. It is sad that at the happiest place on earth - many children are having such a horrible time.

Just because a child can get in free doesn't mean that it is in their best interest to go. I saw a man trying to take a 2 month old baby onto autopia and was mad because the CM wouldn't let his child (who couldn't sit up yet) ride without a seatbelt in his lap. I see many infants during cold and flu season at the park waiting in crowds while folks all around them are coughing and sneezing. But I am getting off track here.

I guess what I am trying to say is the decision to take a child (any child) to DL (or anywhere else) is based on many factors - no one knows their child like a parent. But sometimes as parents we want things for our children that isn't in their best interest at a particular time. And sometimes as people we forget that our behavior affects others.

Please don't slame me - I am not saying these things to point out a problem with any one person - I am just engaging in a discussion about kids in general, parents ideas in general, and park behavior.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • PEZZ in the Fez

Minnietoo makes some very good and valid points.

As a separated dad of twin girls, I have taken them to Disneyland by myself several times over the past few years. They are 5 now. There is usually some whining and grumpiness involved but I learned to take a blanket or two in the stroller for nap time. The double stroller I have can recline and with a blanket over the top, they sleep quite well.

The best nap places I found are at DCA. It is quieter and less crowded in general. May favorite is the courtyard next to the winery/restaurant. There are plenty of places to sit in the shade and it's out of the way enough to be somewhat secluded. It may be blocked off now (?)

Another good place is the walkway between Condor Flats and Grizzly River Run. The benches there are shady and not a whole lot of foot traffic. Heck, I think you could even schlep the stroller into the Grand Californian. I have never done it but I will try the next time I go.

The main thing I would impress upon anyone taking a little one there is to try to keep to the same eating & napping schedule as much as possible. Also, keep snacks and liquids handy.

Nowadays, naps are a thing of the past and our trips to the park revolve around bathrooms. Diapers and Pullups were not very pleasant, but they sure were convenient.

Going it alone with a toddler means having to do Disney as a toddler. No rides much faster than Heimlich's Chew Chew train. And I live quite close to the Resort, whereas San Jose is a location I would describe as Not Close. The road trip alone would give me pause.

I am sure you will make the "right" decision for the both of you and perhaps we could meet at the park some day.

There was a two-year-old child in line behind me for Peter Pan's Flight yesterday, screaming the entire length of the queue. A screaming child isn't having any fun, and neither are the people around said child.

But there's plenty of two and three-year-olds that are fine. It all depends on the child.

• insufferable know-it-all

of course you should do it. Even if you have trouble with him, it's a good learning experience for him

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Sshhh, being very quiet

Quote Originally Posted by minnietoo View Post
    Please don't misunderstand this - but children who have trantrums at DL (or other public places) are not having a good time - nor are their parents - and what has not been mentioned here - is the impact this has on those around them waiting in line or in your immediate vicinity. Several people can be seen cringing and getting out of line (or out of a resturant or store) to get away from crying and screaming children having a meltdown.

So, I ask, why subject your child to something they are not yet ready to handle that leads to frustration and possibly anger - why subject yourself (and family) to a day of stress, tension, and frustration - and why subject others to the outbursts, screams and crying of your child.

Why make so many suffer because you (anyone - not a particular person) want your child to experience something? or you want to experience something and need to/choose to bring your child along?

Also - I feel that many rides (even in FL) have a scary component to them and small children at times cannot tell the difference between real and fantasy - they get frightened and upset - and do not have a good time. Why expose them to this? At what age can a child figure the out these differences in their own mind while on a ride or meeting a character? I have seen many of children (of various ages) get off of rides in tears because their parent misjudged what they could handle.

I have been going to the park off and on all summer (well really since Christmas) - I feel bad for the crying children having a meltdown because they don't understand, are over tired, had a scary experience, or are wound up from sugar and sensory overload. It is sad that at the happiest place on earth - many children are having such a horrible time.

Just because a child can get in free doesn't mean that it is in their best interest to go. I saw a man trying to take a 2 month old baby onto autopia and was mad because the CM wouldn't let his child (who couldn't sit up yet) ride without a seatbelt in his lap. I see many infants during cold and flu season at the park waiting in crowds while folks all around them are coughing and sneezing. But I am getting off track here.

I guess what I am trying to say is the decision to take a child (any child) to DL (or anywhere else) is based on many factors - no one knows their child like a parent. But sometimes as parents we want things for our children that isn't in their best interest at a particular time. And sometimes as people we forget that our behavior affects others.

Please don't slame me - I am not saying these things to point out a problem with any one person - I am just engaging in a discussion about kids in general, parents ideas in general, and park behavior.

Well I really think it depends on the child. My boy is 2 1/2 and has been going to D-land since he was 10 months. Hasn't thrown a tantrum once, but that could be because he is used to the park.

Its Disneyland, there will be screaming children, whether they are screaming from tantrums or joy. You don't wanna be bothered by screaming kids? Then go to a non-kid themed park.

Question to OP? What did you decide?

• Pirates, Potter and Pan

Hmm. My mother used to take me to Disneyland by herself when I was that age, and we'd drive by ourselves from Fairfield. I would think that the key is to pace yourselves? Make sure he has plenty of rest and doesn't get too exausted. But I agree with everyone else, it depends on the kid. Definately think about how stressful it'll be for you! Because really, it's true, he'll probably barely remember it. But, then again, it's good to get them started young.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12