Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Should I drive down alone with 2yr old Nov?

I have the opportunity to take Jason my 2 year old to Disneyland Nov 19-22. Thing is I would have to drive him and myself down from San Jose alone and pretty much go it alone at th e park with him. I REALLY WANT TO, but my experience with him at ammusment parks this summer has been exhausting. He screams if he cant' get on a ride RIGHT NOW! and has to wait. He will be free becasue he is under 3. Should I do it? Any tips? Plus what is the park like Mon-Wed before Thanksgiving day. I would drive back to SJ to be with mom on Thanksgiving day. Is Tom Sawyer Island open during the winter time? I guess I could stick him on the island and let him run. (While I ride some rides without him of course) JUST KIDDING!!!

TIPS PLEASE!!
    Janette

• Premium Youngling and

Re: Should I drive down alone with 2yr old Nov?

I think you should give it a try, especially since he's free. Just work your day around getting fastpasses.

• no flash photography...

it's hard for me to say....my child never threw tantrums about not getting on a ride right now. that would get exhausting and it would piss me off......if she behaved that way. I would maybe try it, btu if my child started behaving that way we would leave immediatly (actually I would give the choise first. "do you want to wait in line like everyone else or do you want to leave?").....I just don't have the pateince to deal with it, but thats just me...like I said it's hard hard for me to answer such a question.

• Disneyland Fanatic

I took my daughter to DL when she was barely 2...I was single at the time. My boss gave the trip to me as a present so we flew and did the shuttle to the hotel.
    Then my babysitter (and quasi-surrogate mom) drove down (from SF) with her best friend and met us there for a couple of days. It was my 1st time at Disneyland too so it was an unforgettable trip!

Even when my 2 friends left and it was just DD and I, I had the time of my life. But then again, she was a very easy going toddler and not really prone to tantrums or impatient. AND I had NO expectations since it was my first time too. Did we miss some stuff? sure, but it was a blast!

I would say the drive it's not too bad if he does well in the car, only you know your baby!

BTW, we are going to be there that same week! 11/18 through 11/22.

Have fun! don't get too stressed out because you are by yourself, and just try to enjoy your son and the park. DD and I ended up in the baby center a few times and those are welcome breaks if you are doing it alone.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Leofoenget
    I have the opportunity to take Jason my 2 year old to Disneyland Nov 19-22. Thing is I would have to drive him and myself down from San Jose alone and pretty much go it alone at th e park with him. I REALLY WANT TO, but my experience with him at ammusment parks this summer has been exhausting. He screams if he cant' get on a ride RIGHT NOW! and has to wait. He will be free becasue he is under 3. Should I do it? Any tips? Plus what is the park like Mon-Wed before Thanksgiving day. I would drive back to SJ to be with mom on Thanksgiving day. Is Tom Sawyer Island open during the winter time? I guess I could stick him on the island and let him run. (While I ride some rides without him of course) JUST KIDDING!!!

TIPS PLEASE!!
    nooooooooooooooooo lets face it, you know your boy, if he stresses out ( and my son does) don't do it. it kind of takes the fun out of it and then you have a crying cranky boy. nope do not do it ( I warned you

• Shaman of the Whills

That trip would be mostly for yourself, because a 2 year old won't remember meeting Mickey and the gang.

• MICE~CHAT Resident DJ

I say take him. That way when he gets older he can never use the "You never took me to Disneyland" argument. Plus he's free!!! Then again, my daughter was 2 for 3 years!!!!!

Check out my Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/joe_e_audio

• Sun Wheel survivor!

Sounds to me like he is too young (tantrums and low stress tolerance) - I wouldn't do it - he won't even remember the park from this age - you will be very very tired and miserable - and face it - this trip is really for you - not him - and you won't be enjoying yourself when he is having a meltdown. Wait until he is older - more mature - can understand what is going on - actually wants to go - and you have more time. Then after driving from San Jose - spending an exhausting period of time at DL - you are planning to drive back on a holiday - not what I would recommend for fun.

• Defying gravity

TIPS PLEASE!!
    With two small children, I would say no - with one small child, I would say YES!!! It sounds like a great opportunity, especially since he gets in free.

If you decide to go, I will see you there. Our trip if 4 nights, starting on Nov. 18. We are leaving Wed. morning, hoping to beat the Thanksgiving crowds.

Hmm, I would be more concerned for the drive than the days spent at Disneyland at least at the Parks you could head back to the hotel for a nap/break (for BOTH of you .

Also if you are driving the week of and day of Thanksgiving I think traffic might be an issue as well making your drive even longer. Some suggestions would be DVD movies to occupy your 2 yr old, maybe even some Disney movies to increase the excitement for the characters he'll meet. If your vehicle doesn't have a player or you don't own a portable player you can rent one from this place: http://www.inmotionpictures.com/ . You can have them ship a player to you with included free rentals and then ship it back when you're done.

A few stops along the way would be good too. Casa de Fruta has some fun things to do (train ride, zoo) and a child friendly restaurant. There are several rest stops along 5 all of which have vending machines which could be fun too. Some machines have mechanical arms or doors to slide open and there are dog parks so it would be fun to stretch your legs and watch the dogs at the parks.

Also maybe leave the night before Thanksgiving (after the Park closes) so your son can just sleep on the drive back.

You know your son and what is best either way have fun and a great Thanksgiving whatever you choose to do!

If you feel up to it I'd say take him. Just don't plan to do everything and plan on making some trips to the baby care centers. My son's almost a year and a half and I love taking him. He's been going about once a month since he was 10 days. (I know some people think we're crazy for that) We take our cues from him. If he's tired and in need of a nap, we just push him around in the stroller for awhile and let him sleep. If he gets too fussy we take a break. All in all my little guy is great and does well in crowds most of the time.

Yes Tom Sawyer's Island is open during the winter. I'm not sure how crowded it'll be those days since some of the local school districts are on vacation then and others aren't. Mine is so I might just head up there myself.
    Visit the Hamand Family Blog to see what we've been up to. http://matthamand.blogspot.com

My sister does it all the time. She's a single mom with 2 small boys and drives down from Modesto. The closer you get to Thanksgiving the busier it'll get. I went last year on the 20th for my bday (which was the 19th) and it wasn't too bad. Plus you get to see all the state National American Miss queens there (more of a thrill for a girl than a boy though). Instead of driving though, look into taking Amtrak. I think that would be better for you especially if your son doesn't like to sit still. It'd probably cost about the same as gas too.

• Banned User

you guys have to understand some kids are not like other kids. my 2 year old would scream and cry over not getting on the ride right away, and he was 3. he cried over everything because he could not handle the over load. he is an awsmoe boy, but the stimulation of the noise, the music in the different lands, the people, and rides them selves took him over the top. and this was just in a few hours. after this the trip was a wash, he cried and could not handle it. not the next day or the next. now when you have good babys that rest in a stroller, and or carried, and can handle a lot then I say go for it, but other then this I would stay home and not stress him out any by taking him.

• Minion

TIPS PLEASE!!
    I did it many, many times. I started taking mine at age 6 weeks, and we went every 3-4 mos. My ex never really liked Disneyland, so I usually had to do it myself. Most of the time I took one of my younger sisters (they are only 9-11 years older than my kids) to just assist and be there. I agree with the post of if he makes a scene, you leave. My kids learned quickly making a scene didn't get what they wanted. I also taught my sisters making scenes didn't aid their causes (they were 5-10 years when I took them and got tired of teh "How much longer, I'm hungry, etc..." My ex and I announced they were in charge and waited til we were in the middle of the Star Tours line outside, then with everyone around, we started whining "I'm HUNGRY, how much longer, I have to go to the bathroom, I'm BOREd, why cant we get on NOW..." While the girls were BRIGHT red, we received applause from all the parents around us. But this wont work for a 2yo.)

You know your child, if you think you can handle it, I'd go for it. Can you find a friend or sibling to go with you? Sometimes just someone to talk with helps while you are there.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

We took our 2 year old and plan to take her again in October. If there is anyone that can go with you a friend, cousin, etc it will make your trip easier. As far as tips go-
    *I highly agree with the DVD player rent one, borrow one, however you can do it. Bring headphones. He can watch the DVD in the car and when you go back to the hotel for naps you can watch a movie.

* Go back to the hotel for afternoon naps. The Howard Johnson has a toddler water play area and sometimes the weather is that nice in November.

* A tip that I got off this board. Go to target or any party store and buy the small bubble pack. The tiny bubbles like what you get at weddings. You can get about 30 of them for under $5. This works great for waiting in lines. Nothing distracts as well as bubbles.

* Take him to the store and find a fruit snack, crakers any type of snack that catches his eyes. Take that with you as a line snack.

Good luck and just have fun!
    "You can't judge a book by its cover."
    "No, but you can tell how much it is going to cost."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast