• Don't mess with the duck!

It could be worse

At least when the monorail goes down in DL, it's not as bad as what just happened to the Seattle monorail.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...norail20m.html

• MICE~CHAT Resident DJ

Re: It could be worse

Sheesh. I couldn't imagine getting stuck in the monorail either at DL or like those poor people. It's hot in there. Plus I'm scared of heights. That's worse than the time I got trapped on POTC in the battle scene. It was HOT!!!!

Check out my Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/joe_e_audio

• Curiouser and Curiouser

I guess us Washingtonians are not cut out for futuristic transportation

Quote Originally Posted by Jedimyndtryx
    Sheesh. I couldn't imagine getting stuck in the monorail either at DL or like those poor people. It's hot in there. Plus I'm scared of heights. That's worse than the time I got trapped on POTC in the battle scene. It was HOT!!!!
    The last time I went during Christmas, we ran into the POTC ride after the second Fantasmic! showing, and I got a bloody nose from the heat in the caverns and battle scene.

I haven't even been on the monorail since about 10 years ago when we stayed at the Disneyland Hotel...

• Shablagoo!

Yeah those monorails need to be replaced. Maybe Seattle should go in with DIsney to get some at the same time for a bulk rate. Maybe Costco has a six pack of MOnorails.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

One, the DL Monorail windows open - it might get warm in there, but in comparison not that bad. Sounds like Seattle disabled the windows because some people couldn't figure out "Keep your hands and arms inside the vehicle at all times while the ride is in motion", and the liabiliy lawyers' answer is to just bolt the windows closed.

Two, DL has all their Pilots trained to do proper announcements - if you get stuck, you know why. And IIRC the intercom is powered by batteries, so even when the power fails they can talk to you in the cars. I'll bet the Seattle driver was as in the dark as the passengrs.

Three, DL has two diesel powered emergency monorail tractors - As soon as someone notifies the Roundhouse there is a stuck train they come out, hitch up the train, apply compressed air from the tractor to release the brakes, and tow the train back to the station. Seattle has no tractors AFAIK, that's why they always use the other train as a rescue vehicle - maybe they should build one...

As to replacement vehicles, full-size monorails (Bombardier MkVII) should be able to replace the original Alweg trains, the basic envelope is the same - the beamway might be a bit wider at Seattle, but they can modify a standard car to fit.

Then again, Seattle was all ready to extend and expand their system a couple of years ago (including new trains), but the local NIMBYs got it made into a ballot issue and shot it down. Go search for the stories in the News section at The Monorail Society website.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

Maybe Disneyland should do some consulting for Seattle? I've also read and heard that the Seattle monorail has been kind a mess from day one, for a variety of reasons. Funnier yet, the monorails just came back online after a long period of refurb. I hope they get it right. I, for one, cannot wait for the new monorails coming to DL. I love taking the monorail into the park!

• Shablagoo!

Quote Originally Posted by DonDuck
    Maybe Disneyland should do some consulting for Seattle?
    Funny you should say that. Back in the eighties Imagineering did some consulting with Seattle for the Seattle Center. As far as I know none of the suggestions were ever done due to expense and some protests from locals who did not want Mickey Mouse to mess with their Seattle Center.

Funny indeed. Could have been very interesting, who knows.

And people have the nerve to complain about poorly trained CM's. It sounds like the Monorail employees in Seattle don't even know how to make an announcement over the PA system when the train breaks down.

Being a suburban Seattlite...I can tell you that the reason that the monorails had just come back up is that two trains hit each other as they were going round a curve in the track. Our system just goes from point A to point B (back and forth) and has side by side tracks to increase the frequency of passenger pick up and drop off. We also had quite a fire in one of the trains a few months before that. That was truly scary as the train quickly filled with smoke and people had a difficult time getting fresh air.

There was a group that was gung ho on extending the monorail system, but they didn't have their financial ducks in a row. They totally underestimated the cost and tried to tie the cost into our car tabs. People within the city limits were going to have the price of their tabs jump by $300! Most people were ok with it when they thought it would be for a few years, but due to the lack of financial planning it was going to take much longer (50 years-no kidding!). So when the final price tag was put on the ballot, Seattle voted it down.

With all this, you might think that we hate monorails...but to the contrary, we are extremely sad that the monorail will not be running for our next trip. We can't wait for the updated ride!