Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Should Disneyland expand their Candlelight Processional shows?

Quote Originally Posted by stinkerbell
    I get your point, but Maureen is an incredible singer and has been performing on Broadway these last many years. Just saw her in Little Women last week and she was the highlight of the show for me.
    Okay, good to know! I just googled her and found out that she sang the love song for both The Poseidon Adventure and The Towering Inferno. I really did like her in both those movies.

I'm sure she'll tell the Christmas story just beautifully. But you know half the audience will be whispering "Wasn't she the girl singer from The Towering Inferno?"

• I'm your huckleberry.

But Kirk Cameron, oy.
    I don't know about the rest of the casting, but Kirk Cameron has made quite a name for himself as a Born-Again Chrisitan minister. His selection as a narrator makes some sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• Man O Lantern

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperbole
    I don't know about the rest of the casting, but Kirk Cameron has made quite a name for himself as a Born-Again Chrisitan minister.
    Well, that I know. That's why the oy. It's sooooo Left Behind.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by TP2000
    Why change tradition? That Procession has been on Main Street since Walt started it in '58 (with a couple of years in the Fantasyland Theater when Cynthia Harriss was in charge).
    Remember the crowds back in ole '58 were not the same as in the 2006s! Main Street was far less crowded in '58 whereas today is insanely crowded, bad traffic direction, and insane people with or without stollers!

OMG, they've asked Rita Moreno back AGAIN at WDW? Talk about overacting (badly) .....

::meow::

• I'm your huckleberry.

It's sooooo Left Behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

*yawn*
    "Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservative." - John Stuart Mill
    -
    "We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home." - Edward R. Murrow
    -
    "It's far easier to fight for your principles than it is to live up to them." - Adelai Stephenson
    -
    Reason for the Season? Tilt of the planet's axis. Oh, you meant the holiday season? That's easy - Feast of Saturnalia. Disagree? That's nice.

• Neep meep beep

Why change tradition? That Procession has been on Main Street since Walt started it in '58 (with a couple of years in the Fantasyland Theater when Cynthia Harriss was in charge).

At WDW, the program is marketed more like a nightly dinner show with lots of meal n' ticket packages sold through Disney travel agents. At Disneyland, it is still exactly what it was originally designed as by Walt; a special performance designed to thank the sponsors and business associates of Disneyland for a great year. Walt never offered up seats to the regular day guests, those seats were for the park sponsors families and local Anaheim businesses who worked with Disneyland. Since the failed attempt at moving it to the Fantasyland Theater, they have backfilled some of the seats with people who purchase dinner packages at the hotel.

Personally, looking at the list of "celebrities" that WDW got, I have to laugh. I have never even heard of half of those people, and the three I have heard of are definitely on the C- List (Is there a D List for celebs? If so, the C- List is being generous for these folks). Rita Moreno? She's still alive? Kirk Cameron? Wasn't he on a sitcom during the late 1980's? Has he done anything since? And Maureen McGovern? The only Maureen McGovern I know is the gal who sang the love song in The Poseidon Adventure back in '72. Or was it the love song from The Towering Inferno in '74? I forget. But is that really her?

Lou Diamond Phillips, I do know that name. He was in a movie in the 80's, right? But I mainly know who he is because he was arrested this month for beating up his live-in girlfriend in a San Fernando Valley tract home. Assuming he makes bail, is he still invited to EPCOT Center to tell the story of Baby Jesus?
    Hey, don't forget Louis Gosset Jr., and Mickey Rooney. And yes, Virginia, there is a D list. Kathy Griffin is on it. Duh!

IMHO...nothing will ever top the evening that actor Cary Grant was guest narrator for Candlelight at Disneyland. A voice that was designed for that sort of thing. They've had tons of big and small names over the years...but by far...he had to rate the best and most memorable performances of Candlelight. All class. Folks were talking about that one for years afterwords.

And after Candlelight at Club 33...sitting at the next table to him and his family and having him lean over and chat with us throughout dinner...well...that was pretty special too.

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1guy
    IMHO...nothing will ever top the evening that actor Cary Grant was guest narrator for Candlelight at Disneyland. A voice that was designed for that sort of thing. They've had tons of big and small names over the years...but by far...he had to rate the best and most memorable performances of Candlelight. All class. Folks were talking about that one for years afterwords.

And after Candlelight at Club 33...sitting at the next table to him and his family and having him lean over and chat with us throughout dinner...well...that was pretty special too.
    What year was this? I love Cary Grant!!! You are one lucky guy!

• D'LAND BIRTH YEAR BABY

Wow Carey Grant must have been awesome!!! I swear at some point maybe 20 years ago I saw a telecast on Christmas Eve of him and the processional from DL! I have seen it with Marie Osmond she was good but not Carey!!! Also the reason I like it on Main St is the way they use the train station with risers for the living singing Christams tree and the hearlders on the top of the Main St train station is wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by brigeet
    What year was this? I love Cary Grant!!! You are one lucky guy!
    I am one lucky guy.

I don't recall off-hand what year that was. Probably in the 70's. I was fortunate to be able to see each year's right up until they moved it out of Town Square and into Fantasyland Theater. I watched it there once and pretty much wretched and boycotted it as long as it was there.

But back to Guest Speakers...what celebrity could turn down an invitation from Walt to speak at Candlelight? And even "after Walt"...many really huge stars have narrated the Story of Christmas there as part of this Southland tradition.

There were many really big names that did it. Surprisingly good was actor John Wayne. In recent years, James Earl Jones was really good. Some botched their lines and/or repeated whole passages because they forgot to "turn the page" and that really screwed up the pace and numbers. Others brought a bit of personal touch to their readings and performance, such as when the Choir joined Pat Boone in "Go Tell It On The Mountain" one year. A few basically "phoned-in" their performances, which was always sorta sad to see (but the fantastic orchestra and choir always covered nicely, regardless).

Back in the 80's I think...the Disney Channel taped an entire performance of Candlelight and aired it for many years after at Christmastime. It was the year stage and screen actor Howard Keel narrated. He had a good booming voice.

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1guy

I saw Dallas Raines at Starbucks once, so I can relate.

I saw Dallas Raines at Starbucks once, so I can relate.
    I know the feeling. I saw Dallas Raines (and his family) in the lobby of the Marina Tower at the Disneyland Hotel one evening.

He's a lot shorter and older looking in person than he appears on the TV, IMHO.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Kirk Cameron has a new TV show but it's probably on some vague cable channel.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast