Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Do you think I'm... odd?

How would YOU keep yourself from going nuts driving the tram all day?

So, I was getting on the Mickey and Friends tram this evening after finally getting to see the Parade of Dreams (and finding out that a girl I went to college with is in it), and the guy at the back of the tram is talking like a pirate. I mean, REALLY talking like a pirate. He called the tram a ship and said "aaarg" after every sentence, and said things like keep our ruddy hands, feet, and legs inboard. Some people were groaning, but I thought it was funny. I mean, how would you feel if you had to do the same safety speil over and over for 4 to 8 hours and no one ever listened to you? I'd probably be coming up with ways to amuse myself too.

When we were approaching the structure, he suddenly comes back onto the loudspeaker after the recorded speil was done, and he's singing "it's a small world," but putting in his own lyrics to tell them about the crosswalk to Pinocchio parking. I just about died... And as we were rounding the corner he starts getting all "emotional," saying things like "I know this is your favorite ride here at the resort... I'm really going to miss you guys... Just stay seated, that's all I ask..." *sniffle sniffle* Way to make something fun that must get supremely boring, dude. ^_^

I witnessed something similar on Indy a month or so ago. There was a CM who would do different character voices over the loud speaker while telling guest to board and disembark the jeep. He did a high, floaty girlie voice when we were boarding, and then when we came back he did a deep macho man voice and said "Welcome back adventurers, you made it! The shock on my face!" And he made an exaggerated shocked face. It was great... I love it when CMs amuse themselves. ^_^
    Ask me to share your fantasies, dear, but don't ask me where tomorrow is
    Don't ask me where to find happiness, though I know for sure where sorrow is

"A mistake played with hesitance is a mistake. A mistake played with authority is an interpretation." @}--->----

• This is my car, Stitch :)

Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States

Re: How would YOU keep yourself from going nuts driving the tram all day?

I've dealt with bored CMs on the trams when I was on my way home. They're amusing...but some have been insanely corny that you have to groan at. But I definetly feel for them.

• No marbles to begin with!

On tram ride from the park to the structure the CM in the back was basically spouting the Jungle cruise spiel but with the parking lot twist. It was pretty funny, but I knew some people were annoyed by it.
    My campus elevator smells like burned hair and won't drop faster than the pull of gravity, no matter how much I scream.

• Disneyland is your land.

I think that the trams would be one of the more interesting jobs at Disneyland because you could change up the speil...you don't have to say it exactly the same each time. I'm actually more annoyed when the CM just talks in a very boring tone.
    Class of 2005...

• Premium Youngling and

It is so funny to see CM entertain themselves. I get such a kick out of it because it really takes a lot to make themselves laugh which makes it HILARIOUS for me, at least.

• FastPass n00b

I'm not being sarcastic here (have to mention that due to the limitations of the Internet) but I thought they did that to amuse the crowd. I love it when they make the extra effort to make a boring thing fun. I hate the tram ride as an idea...and with Walt, *everything* was an idea, including the transportation to and from the park so the tram really aggrevates me.

But I would've loved to have heard this CM's spiel. It's great when they just don't care who's listening and what people will think of it. It always feels awkward to me because if I laugh at it, it feels like I'm the only one, but deep inside I'm busting up laughing.

The resort needs more people like this. The current CMs are so serious and by-the-book that it feels like the staff at a carnival. I did have one CM at the main gate who smiled, genuinely asked how I was doing and seemed to care a great deal about the guests. He seemed like he had been at the park a while but THESE were the types of people the park was filled with 10 years ago. Bravo for the tram CM, I'm really sorry I missed him.

• Namaste and Good Luck

One tram narrator we had (going back to the structure) talked in a giddy announcer voice (for lack of better description). One of his last lines before we exited the tram was "Why am I talking like this? Because I have been inhaling exhaust all day!" That was probably the best ride I ever had on those trams.

One night after closing (I was off around 1, I think) the shuttle driver gives the usual spiel going into K Lot "Please remain seated until the shuttle comes to a full stop, watch your step as you exit and have a good day/evening/whatever time of day it was. One shuttle driver said "We are now entering the 2nd Happiest Place on Earth...the Employee parking lot after the park is closed!" I only saw that driver that one time....
    Rebel Justin
    Back & Reporting for Duty!

My CM Tenure: 1/11/03 - 5/30/06; 3/5/11-?
    Tomorrowland Stores

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Tourists tend to forget that the CMs are living, breathing humans that get wiped out of day-in and day-out repetition. Moments like this remind us that they are human--and have a sense of humor.

The sad part is, someone is going to complain to City Hall and then *poof* there goes the moment. So enjoy it while you can, folks.

Peace out!
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• It's all nonsense

Drugs

nuff said

Quote Originally Posted by Athlonacon
    I hate the tram ride as an idea...and with Walt, *everything* was an idea, including the transportation to and from the park so the tram really aggrevates me.
    Um... weren't the trams around before Walt was gone? You know, in the old, pre-DCA parking lot?

OK, just checking.

I love it! What an interesting spiel that must have been. Certainly more fun than the usual one.

I love those unexpected moments. Huzzah for the cast members!
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

There's the guy who talks like Goofy. He actually frightened me a little.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Gloomy Day, probably rain

I "walked the Lot" for 2 almost 3 years and having to be on the back (or driving the tram) is probably the most mind numbing job next to parking cars. Imagine doing that speil all day, 8 hours, every day for a week. Then times that by ten. It got to be so repetitive that you'd be doing your speil and not even know you're doing it with out the benefit of today's programmed speil!

Some things we'd do:
    Make bets with the driver as to how many times you could say a magic word in your spiel

Tell tall tales and see if anyone notices

Talk to the driver and mock him

Take roll call of the passengers

Make fun of a specific guest's outfit

Tell really dumb jokes

Do the Jungle Cruise, Walt Disney Story, or some other ride spiel and make bets with the driver about how many people notice. Note: Usually only APers notice!

In the end it wasn't to entertain anyone but ourselves because after awhile if you didn't you'd get kinda sketchy by the end of the day!

Quote Originally Posted by mistyisjafo View Post
    In the end it wasn't to entertain anyone but ourselves because after awhile if you didn't you'd get kinda sketchy by the end of the day!
    I believe that! I love it when I get a tram spieler who does something different. I get the feeling that they like their job, more than the guy who just recites the standard line. They seem like they're having more fun.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Roo719 View Post
    Tourists tend to forget that the CMs are living, breathing humans that get wiped out of day-in and day-out repetition. Moments like this remind us that they are human--and have a sense of humor.

The sad part is, someone is going to complain to City Hall and then *poof* there goes the moment. So enjoy it while you can, folks.

Peace out!
    Roo
    well said roo I would love to see this, and I would love to be able to really entertain a crowd. people do not appreciate these folks enough, I truly do! and to those who complain, you stink!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast