Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Loves Fajita!

Disneyland in a month... can I do it ????

Well I have not been in 13 years.. and as much as some are over the 50th.. I am trying my best to make it down by the end... I have a fellow
    Disney geek co worker who wants to go as well... its an 18 hour drive and a stretch on last minute notice, I would have the guilt of not telling my 4 year old (who knows she is going for her 5th bday in sept 2007.. like I can wait) we are considering camping and all... any ideas on doing it on the cheap.. Thanks!

• Premium Youngling and

Exclamation Re: Disneyland in a month... can I do it ????

13 YEARS?!?!?!?!?!?

• Loves Fajita!

Re: Disneyland in a month... can I do it ????

I know! I know! been killin me ever since!

• LoisAlene

I'm not sure if there's still a KOA campground in that area. If it's still there you are a long way away from the park. Best bet would be to check out the good neighbor hotels or maybe Priceline. Sleeping in the car on the way down is a good idea, or else have one drive while the other sleeps (cheaper and faster). Just be aware that you can't sleep in your vehicle in Orange County - the police get a little testy about that.
    Pack a cooler full of stuff for the road and eat as cheaply as you can while in the parks - think vending carts - or even picnic if that's all you can afford. You didn't say how long you'd have to be at the parks, but the longer the better. A two day hopper pass is $116.00.
    13 years?? You Need to go!

War is over if you want it...

Peace - Love - Mickey Mouse

• FastPass n00b

Quote Originally Posted by Momzilla59
    Sleeping in the car on the way down is a good idea, or else have one drive while the other sleeps (cheaper and faster). Just be aware that you can't sleep in your vehicle in Orange County - the police get a little testy about that.
    I'm curious about the sleeping in the car thing. I've always wanted to travel cross country while sleeping in my car, but I've always been afraid to do it because there's really no safe place. The freeway is illegal (not to mention dangerous if someone falls asleep and hits you), rest areas are dangerous at night, and you're not really allowed to park in parking lots overnight. I am a cheap person when it comes to being able to sacrifice expenses so I've always liked the idea of putting the folding seats down and sleeping halfway in the trunk and halfway in the back seat...there's about a full-size bed amount of room in a 1997 Taurus with the seats folded down. But is there any way to sleep overnight in a car safely? And is it just the OC cops that get testy about it or is it other areas' cops too? Why do they get upset about it?

And to the OP, I'd suggest staying at Disneyland for 2 days if it's been 13 years. It had only been 4 for me and I accidently went commando-style at Disneyland because there was so much for me to see and do since my last visit. Taking an extra day slows things down a bit, and since it will already be slow in September, you may want to check out the very awesome DCA across the way. What it lacks in rides, it makes up for in atmosphere and fun. I still can't get Tower of Terror out of my head, it was just about the most thrilling ride I've been on in my life.

• Loves Fajita!

Yea we are thinking 2-3 days - My family will be back in a year, so I can always keep that in mind... Like I know the bobsleds will be down... but I will make sure we make them next year....husband supports a "secret" road trip.. wooo hoo

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Don't diss my bonnet

the location of my profile picture is Knott's in 1972, i'm about 10 months old.

this last trip we stayed at the motel 6 in stanton on Katella Ave. about 4-5 miles away from the park. it was only 49$ a night--not bad when you're plannign to spend all available time in the park and only be at the motel for sleep.

fair warning tho, it does seem there are quite a lot of "long term" people at this motel, which was slightly creepy..but all in all it was quick, easy and most importantly CHEAP
    Will there be screams when the sun sets,
    -=Is It October Yet?=-

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkermonkey
    elly is the ultimate nerdy girl. But she makes it sexy
    Quote Originally Posted by pratt55
    Elly is adorkable.

• FastPass n00b

Quote Originally Posted by LLEBREKNIT
    Yea we are thinking 2-3 days - My family will be back in a year, so I can always keep that in mind... Like I know the bobsleds will be down... but I will make sure we make them next year....husband supports a "secret" road trip.. wooo hoo
    I've never been away from Disneyland for more than 4 years in my entire life so I have no idea what that would feel like. But then I imagine Knott's Berry Farm, which I haven't been to in around that amount of time (which by the way is still not long enough considering how badly that park now sucks), and then I realize that 13 years feels like yesterday when you are suddenly reintroduced to a place you visited that long ago. Tomorrowland will probably be the biggest change, but other than that it should be just about exactly how you left it.

Although it's new and you haven't seen it, please don't discount DCA based on the negative reviews of it. The first time I visited I thought I would hate it, I did everything I could to keep my group out of it. But I've visited there 3 times now and every single time, including my first, I've had an absolute blast! It's not because I *wanted* the park to succeed, believe me that park was fighting an uphill battle with me, it truly is a fun place to visit and won me over...however, it is NOT worth full price. Get it only as a tacked-on park hopper option because if you pay $60 for this park, you will be sorely disappointed. But as a companion park to Disneyland, this park can be every bit as fun as Disneyland, in a WAY different form...more like if Disney ran Knott's, but in a good way.

• Loves Fajita!

Thanks for the tips! Just chanted IM GOIN TO DISNEYLAND! while jumping up and down about 20 times... husband (whos never been) rolls his eyes...

• Vegetarian Disneylander

Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Quote Originally Posted by Athlonacon
    I've never been away from Disneyland for more than 4 years in my entire life so I have no idea what that would feel like. But then I imagine Knott's Berry Farm, which I haven't been to in around that amount of time (which by the way is still not long enough considering how badly that park now sucks), and then I realize that 13 years feels like yesterday when you are suddenly reintroduced to a place you visited that long ago. Tomorrowland will probably be the biggest change, but other than that it should be just about exactly how you left it.
    It had been 18 years between drinks for me, but that will certainly never happen again (if I can afford it)!

There was an incredible sense of 'homecoming', which may have been the result of all the Happiest Homecoming on Earth marketing, but it did feel like coming back to meet an old friend I'd not seen in a while.

Thanks to forums like this one, I feel as though I'll never miss out on what is happening, and when I do return, it will be to an old friend that I've been hearing about through other 'friends'.

(Did that make sense in a lame kind of way?)
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out. - Bill Hicks

• LoisAlene

Quote Originally Posted by Athlonacon View Post
    I'm curious about the sleeping in the car thing.
    You can sleep in the parking lot of any Wal-Mart. Drive by there at 3 am and just Look at all the motorhomes!
    We drive at night and nap during the day in the rest areas. A pillow and a blanket and putting up with some discomfort is what makes it doable.
    Note, I didn't say you'd sleep Well, just that you'd get some sleep!

War is over if you want it...

Peace - Love - Mickey Mouse

• I'm not really here

We've slept in Walmart parking lots as well as truck stops before.

As for staying cheap, the Alamo Inn & Suites is a 15 minute walk from the main gate and when we stayed there last year it was $46 a night (July). They are right on Katella about 200 yards west of Disneyland Dr. The staff were friendly, it was cheap and we were only sleeping there so it worked for us

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• The Purifier

YEs, many of the hotels across the street are very reasonable. You might want to look into one.
    "There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates' loot on Treasure Island and at the bottom of the Spanish Main ... and best of all, you can enjoy these riches every day of your life."
    -Walt Disney

• Banned User

"If you can dream it, you can do it" - Walt Disney

Do it!

• Banned User

I am so excited for you!!! Have a wonderful time, do it and have a ball. then make sure you come back here and give us every detail ok..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast