Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Iron-Clad Allie

Diving Down Memory Lane - The Submarine Voyage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_d12Wygnfkc

^ Click on this video link and enjoy the nastalgic ride once again.

The popularity of the classic Disneyland Subs attraction spanned across four decades, from 1959 thru 1998.

Here is an exerpt from Yesterland -

On August 3, 1958, the USS Nautilus—the world’s first nuclear powered submarine—made history under the command of William R. Anderson, USN. With 116 men on board, the Nautilus traveled below the polar ice cap of the Arctic Ocean, silently and secretly, to become the first ship to cross the geographic North Pole.
    In Disneyland, less than a year later, another Nautilus, this time powered by diesel, made a different kind of history. Beginning June 1959, the Nautilus and seven sister submarines—the Triton, Sea Wolf, Skate, Skipjack, George Washington, Patrick Henry, and Ethan Allen— allowed 38 Disneyland guests at a time to take their own voyage to the North Pole, and to see sights that Commander Anderson and his men never saw.
    For almost four decades, the Submarine Voyage at Disneyland continued to attract long lines of guests.
    The ride didn’t change much over the years. The biggest change came in the mid-1980s, when the eight Cold War gray submarines were repainted a cheerful oceanographer yellow. And six of them were given new names—Neptune, Sea Star, Explorer, Seeker, Argonaut, and Triton—while two kept familiar names, Nautilus and Sea Wolf.
    Finally, in September 1998, the Submarine Voyage carried its last passenger.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 08-25-2006 at 07:11 AM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• It's all nonsense

Re: Diving Down Memory Lane - The Submarine Voyage

Great pics. It will truly be exciting when we finally see the subs go 'round the bend again.

/goosbumps

• U. B. Bold

Cool pics, thank you. I wonder if they're going to change the names of the subs again? Inquiring minds want to know.
    Please visit my Big Thunder/Disney Inspired Model Railroad

Dream big. Do what you love.

• I'm not really here

This is probably the ride I miss the most. I remember loving watching the subs go around the lagoon. Seems like so long ago. almost 9 years now. Great pics!

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by BigThunder View Post
    Cool pics, thank you. I wonder if they're going to change the names of the subs again? Inquiring minds want to know.
    I believe in all likelihood that the sub names will be changed - possibly after principle characters in the movie. Then again, they might imulate the Disneyland Railroad and apply tributary names of people who made the movie a success as well as those that played significant roles in financing and imagineering the ride. It will be interesting to find out.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• The one, the only...

I would take that ride over Innoventions any day! Of course, the Main Street Streetcar beats innnoventions too.

I have to say that the video brought back memories. I wish that the ride had grown over the years. I really believe it could have become the "Jungle Cruise" of tomorrowland, by not taking itself so seriously. But of course, when it came out in 1959, serious would have been the only style.

I am SO happy that Disney is bringing it back. After seeing the video, it just fits in Tomorrowland. I know that people have complained about that, but it does!

I am hoping that the "Nemo" addition does not screw up the adventure of the ride.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• It's all nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by JiminyCricketFan View Post
    I am hoping that the "Nemo" addition does not screw up the adventure of the ride.
    How cool would it be to see a million jellyfish out the porthole and all of a sudden they start stinging the subs with the lights flickering and the electrical stuff going crazy.

I'm excited about this ride.

• FastPass n00b

As much as I despise Pixar in the Park, I love the little blue tang fish, Dory. She has to be, by far, the best and most natural character in the entire Pixar library. She has WAY more character depth than Buzz Lightyear or Woody...she really seems like a real person with multiple layers and an actual personality. That Marlin fish is really annoying, but it plays the straightman to Dory which I really like. Without the clown fish, Dory wouldn't be as silly or endearing.

I hope they don't change the names of the subs, it will be interesting to see if Lasseter is more of a true Disneyland fan or a Pixar executive since he seems to weild great influence over Disneyland attractions. From what I have gathered from Al's marvelous updates it's supposed to be played out as a straight exploration deal, with Nemo coming up as a "coincidence". So I really think they will keep the explorer names to keep the outdoors ride theme of an exploration. If they name it some goofy fantasy thing related to Nemo, I think that would be a big mistake.

• Premium Youngling and

Great thread Ride Warrior! This was one of my favorite rides! I was crushed when I found out they took it out... I wonder why it was taken out. Anybody know?

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Great Video! Now if anyone had a link to video of America Sings, I'd be in heaven.

Chad

• Big Damn Hero

Great video. I completely forgot how good the dive effect looked.

• is on the rocks

I know I'm in the definite minority here, but this ride absolutely freaked me out as a kid! My mom thought it would be a fun, harmless ride, but when we got to the dark part (where the subs "descended") I started throwing a fit. I'm claustrophobic, so being in a cramped sub, and going into into a completely dark area didn't help. I remember my mom telling me over and over "it's okay, it's not real! It's okay!" But I just sat there and buried my face into her stomach because I couldn't bear to look out the portholes.

Now that i'm an adult, I wonder how I'll react!

• Neep meep beep

I loved this ride, and thought it was so unique. I really thought it felt like you were going deep underwater. Can't wait to see the new effects!

• Back After Missing MC

Quote Originally Posted by Frogberto View Post
    I loved this ride, and thought it was so unique. I really thought it felt like you were going deep underwater. Can't wait to see the new effects!
    I agree on both accounts. My sub voyage is my most distinct childhood Disneyland memory. I loved the mermaids and thought it was so amazing how we would "dive" under the water

• Fight On for ol' SC!

I don't completely remember the ride, but after watching it is slowly coming back. I need nemo....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast