Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dealing with the 'I'm catching up to my group' queue pushers.

How do you handle the people that push past you in the queues, while saying 'I'm just catching up to my group'? It sometimes appears that there is no 'group' that is ahead, they are just cutting through the queue. I don't want to get into an altercation, but, I also am a bit tired of being pressed past so they can reunite with a phantom 'group'. Sometimes it is a parent with a child and I presume that it was the classic case of--I am within sight of the front and I've gotta pee NOW. But more often it is two or three able-bodied young people. Any thoughts?

• Man O Lantern

Re: Dealing with the 'I'm catching up to my group' queue pushers.

We often split up as a family--my husband will park the stroller in BFE while I get in line with the kids. Or, we're in a long line and suddenly one of the them has to go to the bathroom. With three kids, something's always going amiss. It's just how it is. Luckily, everyone has always been pretty cool about letting us in or out of line to join one another.

The one line we do it on purpose is Matterhorn if it's really really long and wrapped around the ride. One of us will hang out for thirty minutes with our youngest daughter, maybe go see a character or something, then re-join the line before you go into the turnstiles.

I don't like it when one person gets in line, then 10 people join in. Or even two people. That's uncalled for.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • MC Director of Sales and Marketing

Blog Entries

It doesn't happen to me very often, but when it does, I try not to let it bother me because:

1. I'm not their mother.
    2. Calling them on it might lead to a yelling match, which would ruin my day, and frankly, it's not worth it.
    3. Karma, baby! They will pay for it at some point.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse princess View Post
    Of course I am worried about your mental health. I want happiness for all. Like we can all be like the Smurfs. But without Gargomel. He was mean.

• up to no good

Thumbs up Re: Dealing with the 'I'm catching up to my group' queue pushers.

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJenn View Post
    It doesn't happen to me very often, but when it does, I try not to let it bother me because:

1. I'm not their mother.
    2. Calling them on it might lead to a yelling match, which would ruin my day, and frankly, it's not worth it.
    3. Karma, baby! They will pay for it at some point.

I agree.
    Quote Originally Posted by aashee (Farter Extraordinair) View Post
    Wow. If regular MiceChatters saw this thread they might think we are normal. Thanks Dan & Gina!

• Man O Lantern

Forgot to mention, we also join in (one of us) at convenient points, none of this pushing past people in a tight queue.

If there's no good point to jump in (Alice in Wonderland or Peter Pan come to mind), whoever's trying to join, just doesn't.

I also would never say something to someone...people have to do something pretty obnoxious for me to talk to them about their behavior. Don't want to wreck my day over it.

Thumbs down Re: Dealing with the 'I'm catching up to my group' queue pushers.

Quote Originally Posted by RetroMousie View Post
    How do you handle the people that push past you in the queues, while saying 'I'm just catching up to my group'? It sometimes appears that there is no 'group' that is ahead, they are just cutting through the queue. I don't want to get into an altercation, but, I also am a bit tired of being pressed past so they can reunite with a phantom 'group'. Sometimes it is a parent with a child and I presume that it was the classic case of--I am within sight of the front and I've gotta pee NOW. But more often it is two or three able-bodied young people. Any thoughts?
    I have 2 minds on the subject. This happened to me in Alice in Wonderland.
    the dad stood in line in front of me then his wife and boy ran in at the last min and got on the ride. It really didnt take away from us because they all still rode in 1 car with no additional wait for me and jason. (who had had it with waiting in line by that time)

BUT had it been a huge group taking up a few cars making our wait even longer I totally would have said somelthing to the CM because that is not fair. One person standing in line does not entitle 6 other people to go to the head of the line. It's not their own personal fast pass.
    Janette

• Loves Disney

As long as the people or person is really polite and saying excuss me and thank you I really don't mind the ones I hate are the people who just butt in or ram you not saying one thing or saying move out the way catching up with my group. As long as the people are polite I don't think much people would have a problem.

• insufferable know-it-all

I try to allay the concerns of the folks in line by getting a member of that group I'm meeting to wave or otherwise identify themselves, so that people I'm excusing myself past can see that I am, in fact, joining a real group.

At SFMM once some kids tried to pull the "joining our parents" trick on us, and it was painfully obvious that they weren't meeting a group. I stopped and queried them about who they were meeting and where, and when they got up to the front without joining a group, I and the people around me called them out to the CM who kicked them out of line. But you have to do that sort of thing at SFMM.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

I had a similar situation like this at WDW. I was going on the Jungle Cruise, alone, and this family of 8 was in front of me stops right before you head under the sign for the line because the CM stopped them for having a stroller. He tells them to put the stroller in it's parking spot and because of where they were stopped I proceeded to go around them because there was this HUGE space between them and the back of the line. Now mind you this isn't quite IN the queue yet.

So just as I cross under the sign, two of the woman barrel into me and run past me to catch up with the back of the line. To which my reply was, "There is only one of me and about 10 of you, I really don't think I would ruin your Jungle Cruise experience." Remember, TWO of them did it. So I walk up behind them because for some reason it takes 5 people to park a stroller. And other people at this point walk up behind me. So guess what happens, the remaining members of this rude, I have never been taught courteousness in my life family, come barreling into the end of the line which has grown about 5 people behind me.

The gentleman behind me had his son with him, holding his hand and the lady KNOCKS HIM DOWN!~ and his father goes, "Oh don't mind him, he's only TWO!" (Sarcastic of course) At that point I turned around and asked if he was ok and shot the family a dirty look.

The boy was fine but to make up for it a little I gave him an extra Mickey sticker I had on me. I don't know what's wrong with people now a days, does everyone think they should be first and they rule everything? It makes me terribly sad and just makes me want to be more helpful to people so there isn't so many "all about me" people in this world.

• Neep meep beep

When I was in the park last night, something similar kept happening to me. It's the people that get up to the front of the line and then just stop, looking for their group.

In the security check line, I was behind two teenage girls who just stopped at the bag check, and then said "we're waiting for someone"! So then move aside and let people pass you! When the CM said "I just need to check your bags", they said 'oh, you have to look in our bags?', and then slowly zipped them open. I guess they thought it was the Peter Pan line.

Speaking of Fantasyland, the same thing happened to me on the Matterhorn - the people in front of me kept looking backwards, and then at the front of the line said "we're waiting for some other people". As a group of exactly one, the CM just moved me forward, and I'm not sure how long they waited there.

Same thing happened to me in the Dole Whip line ..... auuggh!

• I'm not really here

This last trip it was 95+ every day we were there and one of our group would be nomiated to go buy water while we were in line and then come back so we didn't pass out. I don't think people have a problem if it's one person very obviously going to a group (carrying 5 water bottles) or a parent and a kid that needed a visit to the little prince/princess room. I only have a problem when it's 1 person holding a spot for a group of people. Again, if it's kids who are antsy and need a walk and then come back to the line, that's fine. Teenagers and able bodied groups and such just need to wait in line unless they are already going to take up a whole car either way and then I don't care because it doesn't affect the line.

Also, they really need to be polite in the tight spaces of the line.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• YOU KNOW IT! YEAH!

My dad was a "im catching up with my group" line jumper. He hasnt done that since 1998 but yea. For anyone who has been been cut infront of by my dad...i appologize on his behalf. hahahahaha!!!!! I crack myself up

SUPPORT THE CMs

For me, Tomorrow is everyday...wait...what?

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

There should be a sign or something that says "no catching up with your group...have your group wait for you" or some such thing(*or even better yet, have turnouts-like on the highway-designated for seperated groups). That way no one would have to feel guilty about not letting these people cut in front of them. Sure, there is the obvious dad/mom with small child trying to get back into line after a bathroom break; but when 3 or 4 or more young adults are brushing past me to "join there group" I want to say something but alas, I don't. If there was a sign though, I sure would say something
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• xmanmom

Quote Originally Posted by stinkerbell View Post
    I also would never say something to someone...people have to do something pretty obnoxious for me to talk to them about their behavior. Don't want to wreck my day over it.
    Heh, I don't actually say something to the person, I just make a catty remark within their hearing.

Like on our trip last week as we were standing to get into the maingate a woman, out of nowhere, came barreling right into me with her stroller and just about knocked me over. After recovering I said to my party "Well, that was nice!" and THEN she apologized and proceeded to make some lame excuse that there was a gap in the line and no one was moving forward. Uh, no dice lady, I never moved and I was right behind the person in front of me. She finally slunk away to another line.

More on topic, I don't like the obviously faking-it line jumpers either. This also happened last week while waiting for HM, a teenage couple tried to say that they were catching up, but they were obviously trying to cut in line. When my fiance moved in such a way so as not to let them pass, they actually tried to climb the gates. People on the other side weren't having it either and moved into their path as well. It was like everyone in the crowd was passive aggressive just like us! Yay!

I live 2 miles away from Disneyland if Walt would've built it at Riverside and Buena Vista.

Tell them, "Sorry. Everybody in your group just died in a tragic Dole Whip accident. It's best that you not bear witness. Go over to DCA and wait there for further instructions."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast