Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Light fare at DLR

Just some research for next week's weeklong trip to DLR:
    Where would y'all recommend getting a decent salad in the DLR?

I'm okay with the salads at Redd Rocket's Pizza Port, and I adore the BBQ Chicken salad out at the Hungry Bear Restaurant (mmm.... jicama). I've never had one of the salads at the Plaza Inn but they look good (I don't care for fried chicken so I avoid the Plaza Inn).

I've yet to set foot in the newly remodeled Blue Bayou or Cafe Orleans, and I've actually never eaten at the French Market in my 33 years.

I suppose I'd ask for suggestions in DCA, though since the entire park takes maybe 3 hours to 'do', it may not be an issue. Forget Downtown Disney though, not interested (why would I drive to CA to visit a crappy overpriced mall? Scottsdale is 5 minutes away...)

Any personal experience would be appreciated, thanks! Would particularly like to hear from the vegetarians on the board.
    -Flint
    "Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservative." - John Stuart Mill
    -
    "We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home." - Edward R. Murrow
    -
    "It's far easier to fight for your principles than it is to live up to them." - Adelai Stephenson
    -
    Reason for the Season? Tilt of the planet's axis. Oh, you meant the holiday season? That's easy - Feast of Saturnalia. Disagree? That's nice.

• Sun Wheel survivor!

Re: Light fare at DLR

I have yet to get a decent salad at DL or DCA. I find them very boring, bland, and do not have enough protien. The dressing is often a problem for me also - either there are no choices that I like or there is too much vineger or its too sweet.

• Shubisha

I'm sure Sadako and Aerinpegadrack would recommend the big easy salad at Cafe Orleans or not

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

The Chicken Ceaser Salad at Carnation Cafe is really, really good.....but I wouldn't consider it "lite fare"

Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Still wants to be a cat!

None of the salads would be considered "lite fare". If counting calories your best bet is the Veggie or Fresh Fruit container you can buy in a couple of places around the Park.
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

• The one, the only...

The salads at the Plaza Inn are huge! It is hard eating light when almost all the menus are geared to people who want to over indulge! [smilie=9,13,24]

I do encourage you to try the French Market. Not because the food is light, it isn't but the food is very good there. Also it has great atmosphere with the Jazz band playing. Also it is not too expensive by Disney standards
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • .-- . .-.. -.-. --- -- .

[quote=Flint;878453]Forget Downtown Disney though, not interested (why would I drive to CA to visit a crappy overpriced mall? Scottsdale is 5 minutes away...)[/quote]

That is the most hilarious thing I have heard in a long time. I'm 20 mins away (I presume you're talking about Fashion Square.)
    Stalking is when two people go for a long romantic walk together but only one of them knows about it.

• MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Always watching...

Plaza Inn makes a Cobb salad for you individually as you order it. It's pretty large and at least you know it's freshly made and hasn't been sitting out for a while.

• Man O Lantern

I saw that pic of the Big Easy salad and all I could think was, "I want one!" That doesn't look too sucky!!

At the Plaza Inn, I often ask for a side salad and a chicken breast for dinner. It's lighter and doesn't have all the mashed potatoes or boiled useless side veggies that I don't usually like.

Other than that, I haven't liked any of the $7 salads at the Pizza Port. And I'm with you on this, Flint, the DtD chain-type restaurants don't interest me either. I have a hard time eating at Disneyland. I just don't like blah fast food.

• Neep meep beep

Quote Originally Posted by Villains Fan View Post
    Plaza Inn makes a Cobb salad for you individually as you order it. It's pretty large and at least you know it's freshly made and hasn't been sitting out for a while.
    Plaza Inn premixes a Cobb Salad that they serve you. If you ask for anything as a special request, they make one for you individually but do not mix it.

Let me also comment that this is the best Cobb Salad I've ever had. I had another one last night and I've never even tried the fried chicken at the plaza inn. I don't eat eggs, so I have it heaping with chicken, tomatoes, bacon and blue cheese, and it's delicious, with crisp lettuce and whatever dressing you like on the side.

Bengal BBQ also has some healthy options, and ESPN Zone, or Catal, in Downtown Disney, have some great salads that are just delicious, as well as other healthy vegetable and fish options.

• Say no to Assimilation

Quote Originally Posted by Frogberto View Post
    so I have it heaping with chicken, tomatoes, bacon and blue cheese, and it's delicious, with crisp lettuce and whatever dressing you like on the side.
    Doesn't sound all that healthy though!

Are you looking for something healthy or something not overly filling?
    "He who knows only his own side of the case, knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them. But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side; if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion" --John Stuart Mill

• Neep meep beep

Quote Originally Posted by tbminnie View Post
    Doesn't sound all that healthy though!

Are you looking for something healthy or something not overly filling?
    True - but I love the tomatoes, and just taste enough of the blue cheese and bacon to add flavor, not go crazy with saturated fats.

• Banned User

this is hilarious, a head of lettuce with shrimp poking out of it, way to funny.

•   
    • Astigmatic

Blog Entries

Well, it's not a salad, but the Cove Bar has a great light meal idea. Just go, order a bottle of sparkling wine for yourself, and by the time you've finished it, you won't care or remember how hungry you were.

• Pirate Girl

They have nice salads at the Sourdough bread place in DCA. I enjoy the one with apples and walnuts. They do come in a bread bowl of which I will eat a tiny bit.

Aprille :-)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast