Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• A Pirate's Life For Me

Different DLR Experiences? Local APs, Occasional Day Trippers, and Out Of Towners

I was curious as to what your thoughts are on this one. I think my three categories covers most visitors.

1. Local AP holders who go on frequent day or half-day trips

2. Local non-AP people who go on occasional day trips - maybe once a year

3. Out of town visitors who go on occasional multi-day trips - may or may not have APs

How does the DLR experience differ among these groups?

I lived in Southern California until I was 28 and was in category #2 until that time. For the last 6 years I have been in category #3. I think the differences between these two types of visits is significant. When I go on multi-day trips it is for 3-4 days. I definitely prefer the category 3 experience to category 2. It is so nice to be able to stay close to the parks and be able to get there early each day and/or stay until closing. With multiple days it is so easy to work in different rides and entertainment, and you feel like you have all this time so it is just so relaxing.

I have never had an AP and so have never been in category #1. I can see how it would be neat to visit frequently and do different things throughout the year - holiday visits, Halloween visits, etc. But if you are a local AP holder, most of you do not get to stay across the street and wake up right there in the morning.

As it is now, DLR is a special place to visit for us. If we were to go every month it seems like it would lose its specialness. I guess an analogy would be Christmas. It is a special family and cultural experience partly because it is only once a year. If it happened once a month it would lose some of its specialness.

Comments?

• Neep meep beep

Re: Different DLR Experiences? Local APs, Occasional Day Trippers, and Out Of Towners

I agree totally! I was in your category two up until just a few months ago, when I became a category one, and they are different types of trips. I appreciate being a passholder and not trying to do gumball rally type days every visit, however, and I've been able to see more shows, eat at different types of locations, and appreciate the detail of the park now that I visit more frequently.

• Man O Lantern

Re: Different DLR Experiences? Local APs, Occasional Day Trippers, and Out Of Towners

We are #D.

Non-local AP holders who go once or more a year, usually for 5 or more days at a time. I've also come down by myself or with a kiddo at least once a year the last five years or so, on top of our family trips.

If we lived closer, we'd go quite a bit. Take the kids after work to see a parade or the fireworks.

We have OMSI and Oregon Zoo memberships, and we'll pop in for a few hours instead of having to do a long day. They're like going to the neighborhood park to me, and I feel so lucky to be able to treat them that way.

If I lived closer to Disneyland, I'd be the type to think, "Hey, I want to go on Space Mountain" and hop in the car with the kids to head to SM.

Alas. We live 1000 miles away, so we don't.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

I have been in catagory 3 my whole life. Back in my early 20s I considered moving to Socal in order to be closer to my favorite place; alas I did not and I am grateful for that decision. I go, on average about every 10-12 months or so and even at that sometimes the specialness seems to wane a little.
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

•   
    • Astigmatic

Blog Entries

I'm a category 1 (sounds like I'm talking about hurricanes). Anyway, I go several times a month, and the specialness has not diminished. And I even worked there for 5 years! The experience is different, though. I'm sure if I only got to go once or twice a year, I'd do the day long marathon trip, hitting all the big, e-ticket rides. But since I go so often, I can stop by for a few hours, go on one or two rides max and not feel like I've missed out. We also have the opportunity to do things that we wouldn't normally do...like watch Season's of the Vine and do the wine tasting.
    Just this past week, DH and I played hooky and went to the resort. We picked up a Soarin' FP, then waited in line for Grizzly River, then to eat up the remaining time before our FP, had a beer at the Hearthstone Lounge, went on Soarin' and headed home for a nice nap. It was a great trip.
    And for my B-day, we are making our now-annual weekend to the Resort with a stay at the GCH, even though we only live 20 minutes or so away.
    Of course, I know that my love of the resort surpasses most, but I wouldn't trade my AP for anything.

• Zero Blockout Dates

We usually visit at least twice a month. The more we go the more we see we never had before. The pleasure of not being rushed to get to, see or experience everything every visit has allowed us to enjoy the resort in ways we never would have considered or thought possible before.
    IMO - YMMV - FYIGM

• I have Disney Love!!!!

I was a category 2 as a child, then a 3, now a 2 once again...I do feel that I'd like to be a category 1 and probably will when my son gets a little older and wants to go to Disneyland, but I'm afraid I will become the Disney person who goes everyday and notices the bad things or all the work. I like the whole category 3 thing where you go and it doesn't matter what's wrong or broken or changed just the feeling of being there makes me feel happy....

• Grumpy old man

I'm category 3 and have been my whole life. It's great to go and have everything feel new and exciting, but a lot of the time you feel too rushed to really enjoy stuff. I'd like to spend some part of my life in category 1, just for the ability to reach notice the details.

• white and nerdy

I'm a non-local AP holder who spends approximately one month out of the year at Disneyland. (over the course of the entire year of course)
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

• Premium Youngling and

Im totally in group 1. I love knowing the fact that if it is totally crowded one day, we can just hang out and watch shows all day and come back later in the week

• LoisAlene

We've always been cat. 3. I love walking into the park and saying "OH that's new!" There is always something different to see. On the other hand there is NEVER enough time to see everything I'd like to. I kind of envy you cat. 1's, you get to practically live at the park. On the other hand you have to live in So. Cal. Lived there, really didn't care for it a bit.
    I'd rather be a #D like Stinkerbell!

War is over if you want it...

Peace - Love - Mickey Mouse

• back in Austin

Category 3, my whole life. Like others have said, there are advantages to each. The advantage to my position is that when I go and ride something like POTC or IASW, I don't notice the stuff that's broken down or paint that's needing retouching. Too busy just taking it all in.

So that's nice, but a real problem with being a #3 is that it's hard to relax and enjoy the slower-paced attractions or just sit still and absorb the atmosphere. That, plus the meets I miss out on, makes me envious of the locals.

I too wonder if DL would lose some of its specialness if I were a local AP-holder. I would love to try it for a while, though. I think it would quickly become my favorite category.

• is on the rocks

I was mostly in the second category, then in the first category for a few years. I've never lived away from the SoCal area, but there have been times I've stayed overnight at a hotel for a two-day stint.

Yes, they're all different experiences. As a child, I loved the anticipation of the annual trip to DLR. We'd get there very early in the morning and stay till closing. As an AP holder, I appreciated not having to cram everything into one visit. When staying overnight, I appreciated having a place to crash midday if I needed it. There are good aspects to it all, I think.

As an AP holder, I don't think the magic ever diminished for me. It just gave me more time to appreciate all the park had to offer. There were some times I didn't even go on any rides. I would go with my mom and we'd have something to eat, then go shopping. It was great to watch the live entertainment, especially Rod Miller playing his piano. It was fun to check out what was being displayed in the Disney Gallery. That was the best - having time to leisurely discover and enjoy.

• no flash photography...

Before I had an AP we would go once a year and it was pretyy stressful. yes, we had fun, but we laso had to run our butts off to get everything in. Every minute was plannign what to do next. It was fun, btu not really relaxing. The first day I got an AP was on martin luther king day right before DCA opened. I thik they were having soft opeings. (The only reasin I got the pass was because DCA was included... Anyway, we went to see DTD. While there we decided to get the AP. It was nightitme when we entered DL. We walked to the flag on Main street and I stopped and looked around. I felt so relaxed, because I didn't have to do anything. We could come back whenver we wanted. IItw as sucha nice feeling. I think we went on two rides and dinner and went home.....That is one of my favortie trips.

On the other hand....now that I've had an AP for so long I feel liek going to the park is like OCD. I mean how many times can I ride the same ride over and over again. It doesn't change.....Now I don't go on all the rides all the time. It has been months since I've been on some of them. We go to relax and enjoy the atmopshere now. It's just a different experience...

• MICE~CHAT Resident DJ

When I was little I was in the #2 category and I have to agree with everyone else that it is more hectic doing everything in one day than it is now. We've had AP's for about 2 years now and it's such an enormous difference, if we feel like going for a couple of hours or if my wife and I want to go and hang out we're able to and it's more calm and relaxed then how I remember. I still have as much fun now, going once or twice a week then going that one time a year for birthdays or whatever.

Check out my Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/joe_e_audio

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast