Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: DLRR Questions?

• Minion

DLRR Questions?

C.K. Holliday, E.P. Ripley, Fred Gurley and Ernest S. Marsh I see these Engines pretty much all time. Now where is the Ward Kimball? Does this engine need to be broken in? Is it in the back running on Dyno Machine or tread mill to get more hours of service? Maybe I always miss it? Just think they would run The Ward Kimball more? Since it is the newest Engine at DL.

Now the Question I have about the passanger cars. The holiday passanger cars is the most comfortible to ride. The other one Excursion III is really the most uncomfortible to ride. Excursion III is this the oldest? Have they thought about taking it out of service? It just seems to make more sense to face the park when riding around DL.

It is sad that DCA doesnt have any old Locomotive running about it. They didnt think about California's History with the Train. The Zepher at DCA doesnt count it is not moving. I thought it would have been really awesome to see the old SP Daylight Express or the California Zepher circling DCA.
    Jason

• no flash photography...

Re: DLRR Questions?

I really like the passenger cars that face forward. I hate facing the park and they are a pITA to get in and out of. It'd like going to the movies and the people around you wanting in and out of the aisle....PITA...LOL

• MICE~CHAT Resident DJ

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe View Post
    I really like the passenger cars that face forward. I hate facing the park and they are a pITA to get in and out of. It'd like going to the movies and the people around you wanting in and out of the aisle....PITA...LOL

Really? Geez, I HATE the trains that face forward, I like waving at everyone(=P) and it's great to just sit back, relax and look out at the park instead of turning your neck in odd positions to see things. The most fun I had on the DLRR was back in June, we were exhausted and for some reason it felt like we did waaay more than we usually do so we decided to take the train back to MSUSA, (we were in NOS)...so it was approaching midnight and no train, 11:59....no train, 12:00 ( Ladies and Gentleman....Disneyland has finished its normal operating hours....etc.) No train. Then around 12:05, low and behold....the train was coming. But this was no ordinary train...no it was the SWEEPER TRAIN!!!! The conductors were singing and laughing and cracking jokes, and apparently it was one of the conductor's last trip as he was leaving the company so it was really special. We had a lot of fun.

Check out my Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/joe_e_audio

• Closed Account

No, the Ward Kimball doesn't need too much breaking in. It's 104 years old, you know!

But, the engine has been experiencing some growing pains. There were issues with the throttle valve, which have been rectified, which made it a very difficult engine to fire for some of the crew (others had no problem with it. For some, Ward is a very tricky engine to operate properly).

Mostly, you have just missed it. It has been out on and off since June 2005.

As for the passenger cars, maybe you can be more specific about why you think some are comfortable and others not.

For the record, the Holiday Red (red striped awnings and side trim, numbered in the "200" series) debuted (mostly*) with the park in 1955, making it the oldest train operating at any Disney theme park.

*Two additional gondola cars were added to the six original cars a bit later.

The Excursion cars, number in the "300" series were built in 1958, for use with the newly-acquired Fred Gurley. The last two sets of cars--the Holiday Blue and the Holiday Green, were built in the mid-1960s, to offer full viewing advantage for the new Primeval World diorama.

• Minion

^It is the seats in the Excursion cars that really seem to have a stiff back to them (I know they are made of wood) . There is hardly any angle to them. ON the end of the car the seats are at a 90 degree angle. On the Holiday cars you dont have to turn your head as much and the seats have a better angle.

Thanks again Steve!

maybe next time I will see the WARD KIMBALL!
    Jason

• Banned User

But why isnt the Ward Kimball on the tracks?

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by barfownz View Post
    But why isnt the Ward Kimball on the tracks?
    I'm not sure I really understand the question.

The Ward Kimball has been running on-and-off again since it went into service officially on June 25th, 2005.

All the engines routinley are "off the tracks." When the Ward Kimball came on-line, for instance, the Ernest S. Marsh was undergoing an extensive overhaul, and had been out for months. I don't remember anyone wondering where it had gone.

In addition to the kinks that the Ward Kimball has had fixed and adjusted over this time, It has also undergone the usual maintenance that all the engines go through. In other words, there will be periods when each engine is out of service for at least a week for routine preventative maintenance.

Additionally, you may not see it because it just "isn't needed" in terms of traffic volume. I believe they are running only three trains currently--that leaves two trains "off the tracks." Perhaps the Kimball just drew the short straw?
    Last edited by Steve DeGaetano; 08-27-2006 at 12:53 PM.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Redsix View Post
    The other one Excursion III... Have they thought about taking it out of service?
    Far from it! One Retlaw-era conductor I know said that the train was known as "The Sponge," because it seemed you could always squeeze more people onto that train!

It has a huge capacity, and, after undergoing a major rahb in the late 1990s, won't be retired any time soon.

• Minion

^ I am glad they arent taking it out of service but can they hand out seat cushins??: Even though it doesnt have a lot comfort I would really hate to see anything from Walts era go. Do they still give Roundhouse tours? I think out of anything I would love to see the roundhouse again. Steve once again thanks for your insight on the DLRR.
    Jason

• Closed Account

The only time they gave roundhouse tours at DL was during a very short experiment maybe 10 years ago. I've heard the program was shuttered after about two weeks.

On rare ocassions, Disneyland has auctioned off a tour.

But as it stands today, there is no officially sanctioned way to get a roundhouse tour at Disneyland.

They still give roundhouse tours regularly at WDW, however.

• Collision speed....FULL!

Quote Originally Posted by Redsix View Post
    It is sad that DCA doesnt have any old Locomotive running about it. They didnt think about California's History with the Train. The Zepher at DCA doesnt count it is not moving. I thought it would have been really awesome to see the old SP Daylight Express or the California Zepher circling DCA.
    I think there is a plan to have mine train in the Grizzly peak area, done like the old Nature's Wonderland ride. (not steam , but still a train! )

• Tom Chaney R.I. P.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    No, the Ward Kimball doesn't need too much breaking in. It's 104 years old, you know!
    Here is ther real truth about the Ward Kimball...

after hours the WK was involved in a very bad train wreck. It seems that the new loop in the DLRR was all ready to go and when the Ward Kimball hit the top of the loop, well it just so happens that a Disney engineer forgot to factor in gravity, well thats what a CM told me
    THIS SPACE FOR SALE OR LEASE

PRESIDENT OF THE DISNEYLAND LOOP LOVERS ASSOCIATION

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by tahoebob54 View Post
    Here is ther real truth about the Ward Kimball...

after hours the WK was involved in a very bad train wreck. It seems that the new loop in the DLRR was all ready to go and when the Ward Kimball hit the top of the loop, well it just so happens that a Disney engineer forgot to factor in gravity, well thats what a CM told me

How come there are too many Loops at the DLR?...GOSH!
    Jason

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus View Post
    I think there is a plan to have mine train in the Grizzly peak area, done like the old Nature's Wonderland ride. (not steam , but still a train! )
    This would be awesome "if" it happens??? To bad on the steam engine...but then again was Natures Wonderland a steam train?
    Jason

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe View Post
    Hear, Hear. I love the Excursion cars too....they seem more like a real train and less like a touristy tram. Besides; because of its' massive capacity I've never had to wait for the next train when it was in the station
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast