Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

• Shubisha

Re: RockIt returns...

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer View Post
    ^Who says they have to use the sign at all?

Looks like the new "Rockin' Space Mountain" will be offered for a few months in early 2007 (Second week of January thru April 15th - possible dates, subject to change). It will be offered for the entire operating day, so why do they need to change the sign? Just leave it at Space Mountain, and place some of those temporary signs they use at the entrance announcing the "Rockin' " version....

They didn't use it during grad nite, which I was real disappointed about cuz i was looking forward to seeing it. But I'd hate to see them waste it forever.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

The logic behind NOT using the "RockIt Mountain" name an sign is simply nonexistant. I suppose it could happen, but I suppose it wouldn't surprise me if they did change the name to Rockin' Space Mountain... afterall, Disney does do a lot of stuff that doesn't make sense.

Nevertheless, why would they altogether ditch the "RockIt" name? The only crowds that know about it are Grad Nite participants and us Disney message board geeks. The general public doesn't know about all of the negative rep the RockIt overlay has garnered online, and wouldn't be deterred from the attraction if they were to use the "RockIt" name. And I doubt that most Grad Nite kids would care either way. If they want thrills Space Mountain provides, theyre going to go on Space Mountain with or without the "RockIt" overlay or name.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Head Salesman

Quote Originally Posted by 33 reject View Post
    Rockin' Space Mountain -- Space Mountain is getting a new twist. Thanks to new lighting and technology, Disney's classic attraction will become a new experience in which rockets will rock it through the greatest concert in the universe. An all-new soundtrack will fit the exciting twists and turns of Disney's rocket classic. (Spring 2007)
    Here's something scary: there was no mention of Rockin' Mountain being a nighttime-only overlay. I'm just sayin'.
    Ask about my popular 2-for-1 sale!

Visit my site, the Disney Experience, for awesome Disney downloads. All are welcome!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Well, I'm not going to hold my breath for ANY Rock ANYTHING Mountain.

hahahahahaha

As far as running the "Rock - **" Mountain day and night,
    for a certain period of time, that might make sense IF they
    actually install the effects that are missing.

I believe AL mentioned that to change from Space to Rock Mt,
    they would need to recycle the ride, which would keep people
    from riding for a certain period of time, and with as busy as
    Space Mountain is, it would be a really bad idea to cut off riders
    for the time it would take to switch from Space to Rock.

SO it almost makes sense to run the attraction just as Rock,
    while they add/adjust the effects. (IF they do add the effects)

• Shubisha

cycling the ride is not that bad considering how often thy have to do it during the day anyways when 6 trains get into the station at one time. and since this will be planned and they won't have to wait for CMs to walk through the attraction and give the stalled cars a starting push, it'll be even easier. It wouldn't even be a complete cycle. Just enough so that all the passengers inside the ride are out of it so that the show effects don't change on them mid-ride.

• Vehicle rotating backward

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    I believe AL mentioned that to change from Space to Rock Mt,
    they would need to recycle the ride, which would keep people
    from riding for a certain period of time, and with as busy as
    Space Mountain is, it would be a really bad idea to cut off riders
    for the time it would take to switch from Space to Rock.
    Al was wrong about that. The switch is nearly instantaneous. However, in order to keep people from getting in line for Space Mountain and getting in the vehicle for RockIt Mountain, they had decided to switch off on different days, instead of dayparting as they wanted to before.

• Banned User

Rock Mountain?! Are You Cerial?!

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania View Post
    Al was wrong about that. The switch is nearly instantaneous. However, in order to keep people from getting in line for Space Mountain and getting in the vehicle for RockIt Mountain, they had decided to switch off on different days, instead of dayparting as they wanted to before.
    I'd imagine that Disney would get more complaints if Space Mountain was completely gone for an entire day, with this day-switching plan you mention. Where'd you hear about this?

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Rat Tat Tat.

The Rockin' monicker has been used in CM info too, I've heard because people just don't get the "RockIt" pun. The main sign would require a serious overhaul, since I'm pretty sure it is fiber optic which would take a lot of effort to redo. Also by just adding "Rockin'" before Space Mountain, the sign is still accurate and they can just stick a giant cardboard "Rockin'" above it or something. There might even be more than one soundtrack too...

• I'm not really here

Having worked with LED set ups before, it is a royal pain beyond mere words' ability to describe to change them once they are set up. And while the actual new SQUID LED bulbs themselves aren't that expensive you would have to build a new faceplate for the sign to hold the lights in the proper configuration, not to mention re-wiring the thousands of lights that woud have to be changed and that is an incredibly labor intensive job. I guess it is possible, but highly unlikely.

As for the ride itself, Space Mountain wasn't supposed to be open for the 50th... but Matt O decided that was unacceptable and told Imagineering to get Space Mountain open for the 50th. He pushed that through and told them to hold off on RockIt Mt. They put just enough of it in there to be able to do Grad Night stuff since that was one of the touted attractions for the kids this year. But it was always planned that once the 50th started to wind down Imagineering and their crews would come back in and finish RockIt Mountain.

The switch from one to the other is rumored to take a grand total of 10 minutes and is to occur at sun down. During the day: Space Mountain, at night: RockIt Mountain. And personally I hope they keep that name as it is a perfect pun on Rock and Roll as well as Rocket. Rockin' Mountain is just plain stupid and the sort of thing an ad executive trying to be hip and cool (no offense to any if they are here) would think up.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• It's all nonsense

Maybe they are changing it to RockIn to try and relate to Rockin Rollercoaster at MGM.

• Reject no more!

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Sam View Post
    Here's something scary: there was no mention of Rockin' Mountain being a nighttime-only overlay. I'm just sayin'.
    Gak! I really hope they don't make the Rockitin version a semi-permanent overlay like HMH unless they are going to step it up and making it a theme that can stand on its own (bring on the $$$). I like the novelty of a daytime/nighttime version.

Also, I'm amused that the name is getting all the attention here. Who knew a name would touch a nerve. Actually, who knew one letter could be such a rable-rouser.

AND, carboard signage is never a good idea for a ride's marquee. If they are going to include this ride in a marketing campaign, I'm going to expect a quality product.
    ><> just call me n8 <><

• I'm not really here

Way back about a year and a half ago in one of the press releases it was explained that it was a night-time only overlay. That at sundown the change would occur.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

The information which appeared in the Disneyland Line on August 17, 2006 differs slightly from the "official" press release.

".....From sea to space, Space Mountain is getting a new twist and being renamed Rockin' Space Mountain. In the spring of 2007, thanks to new lighting and technology, Disney's classic attraction will become a new experience in which rockets will rock it through the greatest concert in the universe with an all-new soundtrack."

In The Line it is actually saying the attraction is being renamed.

• Shubisha

well either way it's getting renamed from just "Space Mountain" the question is the renaming between Rockin and Rockit

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast