Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Light Magic: What's left?

I know Light Magic was a phenominally large investment for something that turned out to last so short, but what about the infrastructure they put in?
    I know the projection towers in the small world mall are still around, but what of the floats, fiber optics, lighting fixtures still remain?

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Re: Light Magic: What's left?

I've wondered the same thing... Didn't they install fiberoptics in the Main Street building facades? Are those still in place? And if so, are they still operational?

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

Main Street Fiber optics have all been removed. I'm pretty sure the stages were scrapped, but they probably saved the chasis.

• Cast Member

The bad taste and memories are all that are left as far as I'm concerned.

Wouldn't know about the physical elements.

Bye.

• I love my family!

I don't think any of the Fiberoptics on Main Street are still there. Atleast not in the areas where I remember them being.

I think the floats were completly gutted but, I don't know if they kept the chasis.

I wish people would have givin Light Magic another chance. I loved the music!

• You Spin Me Right Round

I thought the used the chasis for some of POD's floats.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

So, how exactly did the fiber optics on the Main Street buildings work? How were they implemented and what kind of effect did they give off? Was it something similar to the Tower of Terror fiber optic sign or the old Pirates of the Caribbean island sign? Or totally different?

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by DLDCALVR View Post
    I thought the used the chasis for some of POD's floats.
    I think the Parade of Dreams floats were entirely new. They might have used them for Eureka! at DCA.

As far as the fiber optics, I think most of them were taken out when they repainted Main Street and the towers back in 2004/2005. I think most of the current sound system/ speakers, and all the lighting fixtures that were put in place for Light Magic are still there. But again, If I recall correctly, everything was updated before Remember and Parade of Dreams were put into motion. But I do know that on those light towers around IASW, they moved down those special rotating spotlights used for Light Magic. During the Christmas season, they put the snow machines up there in their spots.
    Last edited by DisneyMickey; 08-28-2006 at 07:30 PM.

• A Beautiful Tomorrow!

The fiber optics looked as if they were only ornamental parts of the Main Street buildings like the window trims, awnings or roof top lineings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvvLZl5RY98

You can see them in this video but I had a video of the making of Light Magic and what went into it with all the interviews of the production team and the building of IASW mall and the fiber optics and the floats. I'll try to find them and post them it was a show that appeared on UPN.
    "We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." Walt Disney

• Shubisha

The music itself, without the pixie sound effects without the extra show elements and without having to sit through watching it, is really good(the one you can get on the 97 official resort cd). It's a pretty good testament to the quality productions they could make back in that era when the effort wasn't undercut by picky budgets and other hastles, which happened to every other element of the show.

• The one, the only...

I have to say that the only part of the sound track that is good is the part that is using the old Main Street Electrical Parade theme. The "Dream a Dream Forever" for ever is just as exciting lukewarm milk.

I did not get a chance to see the parade, but I don't like I missed anything. It is not big budgets that make a great parade, it is creativity and heart. One has to have a concept of what is beautiful. The MSEP was both beautiful and had a great sound track. I think of the part when Cinderella all lighted dances with the Prince. It was just magical at night. Seeing the Blue Fairy coming down the street with the moving lights.

The Light Magic has moving lights, but they don't seem to make sense. They just run up and down things. The lights don't enhance the characters, they seem to strobe over them and make them harder to see. The lights on the buildings are a nice touch, but not as magical as lights on a float. We see lights on buildings all the time. It is something different to see them on people and moving vehicles. That was the magic of MSEP.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Lost in Wonderland

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyMickey View Post
    I think the Parade of Dreams floats were entirely new. They might have used them for Eureka! at DCA.
    Well, I think that Parade of Dreams used 4 drive units from Eureka, 1 drive unit from Light Magic, and 3 other drive units that I have no clue about. The drive unit in the Castle float in Parade of Dreams is probably the one from Light Magic.

In Parade of Dreams, the floats are entirely new (this includes the metal frame). But most of the drive units (the parts for steering and moving the float) were used in previous parades.

Drive units are refurbished and parts that wear out get replaced.

Thanks for the info MS... where did you get this?

• Vehicle rotating backward

Quote Originally Posted by JiminyCricketFan View Post
    I have to say that the only part of the sound track that is good is the part that is using the old Main Street Electrical Parade theme. The "Dream a Dream Forever" for ever is just as exciting lukewarm milk.
    Bless you for posting, because I was getting really confused at all the people saying nice things about the music in this thread. The background instruments sounded like some cheap production trying to play Lionel Richie's "All Night Long," and the singing was even more milquetoast.

So much mellow soft-rock could put Delilah to sleep.

• Shubisha

the part where they play baroque hoedown bugged me most in the show :P with how ridiculous the show turned out, by the time they got to this part instead of being an homage it was like the cast was flipping us the bird for getting rid of our beloved parade and leaving us with this mess.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast