Question Ridemax is it for the truely obsessed?

What is it and does it really WORK??? Does it suck all the fun out of the day by totally overplanning your trip or make your day that much better by allowing you to do everything you want??

anyone ever us it?
    Janette

• Circle of Ancients

Re: Ridemax is it for the truely obsessed?

I've never known anybody who has used it, but it sounds like a bunch of hooey to me.

• no flash photography...

I've used it. I really wanted it to fail. So, we planned to go on a saturday in July and we planned to do all the rides we could by 2:00pm. It worked so well. At first my mother was pissed, because she had never did DL on a plan and saw no need to do it now. I pushed on. By the time we got on the third ride with minumal waits everyone was asking what was next. We had finished the whole schedule by noon....it was great......I don't use it anymore though, because going on the same rides everytime I go is to OCD for me. We just go on a few rides now and there's no need to plan that out..

• A Pirate's Life For Me

Quote Originally Posted by Leofoenget View Post
    What is it and does it really WORK??? Does it suck all the fun out of the day by totally overplanning your trip or make your day that much better by allowing you to do everything you want??

anyone ever us it?
    I have used it, but not for an entire day - only for parts of days. The fact is that people who enjoy being totally spontaneous and have no plan at all will wait in longer lines than people who plan (knowledgable AP regulars excluded). On the other hand, people who follow a military plan may get on more rides with less lines but miss out on some things that cannot be scheduled - like Push the Talking Trash Can in TLand.

RideMax's purpose is not to make your trip military. It is to give folks a plan so they can minimize time in lines. It is not for everyone, but for many people with a minimal understanding of how to "do" DLR, it can help improve their experience.

I would recommend people who do use RideMax to avoid planning out every single minute. Leave some open-ended time in your itinerary. If you read the RideMax Help system, they recommend the same thing BTW.

It sounds like an interesting way to plan your trip during peak times. My friend Lisa was surprised when I told her that the week between christmas and new year was going to be very busy. What it wasnt' busy at Christmas 15 years ago?? So that's why I am asking. Plus if it works, maybe I will be more willing to go during spring breaks or Easter.

thanks for the info.
    Janette

• Circle of Ancients

I think we need to make a rule for the Gumball Ralley ... no RideMax!!!

• A Pirate's Life For Me

Quote Originally Posted by Leofoenget View Post
    It sounds like an interesting way to plan your trip during peak times. My friend Lisa was surprised when I told her that the week between christmas and new year was going to be very busy. What it wasnt' busy at Christmas 15 years ago?? So that's why I am asking. Plus if it works, maybe I will be more willing to go during spring breaks or Easter.

thanks for the info.
    Here is a RideMax critique I wrote last year: www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=885134&referrerid=93883

• no flash photography...

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    I think we need to make a rule for the Gumball Ralley ... no RideMax!!!
    but how to enforce it.....and once you use it a few times you know how to do it without the schedule....

• Circle of Ancients

Well, let's face it ... most people doing the Gumball Rally are Disneyland Vets and will probably have no problem doing the event. Which is why I think there will be some 'twists' that won't come to our attention until the 30th.

• A Pirate's Life For Me

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Well, let's face it ... most people doing the Gumball Rally are Disneyland Vets and will probably have no problem doing the event. Which is why I think there will be some 'twists' that won't come to our attention until the 30th.
    I think the DL vets who understand the ride capacities and line patterns, and FastPass and its tricks, can do better than RideMax most of the time. RideMax wasn't designed for those types of people in the first place.

On the other hand, if all of the participants were first time visitors to DL, then RideMax usage would really help some of those teams.

Wish I lived close enough to be able to participate in the rally. I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out. Have fun...

• I'm not really here

I can see how RideMax would help those who have no DL experience and don't know the ins and outs. Personally, we've never used it and never felt a need to. We can get on everything we want to in a single day, see multiple shows, have plenty of time for meals at sit down places, shop and watch parades. All with very minimal waits, and a lack of running around. It is very possible to do everything and still be relaxed. As stated, it just takes knowing a bit about the rides and the park. (Which is all RideMax is doing anyway)

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• a wind to shake the stars

I think Ridemax is probably more for those who go to Disneyland once every five years than the people on this board. If you have one day in California before you go back across the country / world, the price of ridemax is pretty minimal if it lets you ride everything you wanted to.

Ridemax has been around for as long as I've been on Disney message boards (which is quite a while, by now) and at first everyone was skeptical but I've never really read a bad review of it.

• A Pirate's Life For Me

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    I can see how RideMax would help those who have no DL experience and don't know the ins and outs. Personally, we've never used it and never felt a need to. We can get on everything we want to in a single day, see multiple shows, have plenty of time for meals at sit down places, shop and watch parades. All with very minimal waits, and a lack of running around. It is very possible to do everything and still be relaxed. As stated, it just takes knowing a bit about the rides and the park. (Which is all RideMax is doing anyway)
    Quote Originally Posted by The International View Post
    I think Ridemax is probably more for those who go to Disneyland once every five years than the people on this board. If you have one day in California before you go back across the country / world, the price of ridemax is pretty minimal if it lets you ride everything you wanted to.

Ridemax has been around for as long as I've been on Disney message boards (which is quite a while, by now) and at first everyone was skeptical but I've never really read a bad review of it.
    I agree with both of you.

But let me give a personal experience. I consider myself very knowledgable about the DLR ride patterns, FastPass, etc., and have visited DLR regularly over the last 40 years. Last year we hosted an exchange student for a year from Sweden, and we travelled to SoCal Thanksgiving week to visit family and show the student SoCal. We spent one day at DLR - the Wednesday before TG. She had never been to DLR or WDW.

Realizing that this might be her only chance in her whole life to visit DLR, there were certain things we wanted her to experience. And we only had one day.

So what did I do? Knowing that it was busy TG week, I used RideMax to make sure we could fit in all of the rides we wanted. And it really helped, especially for the first 2-3 hours, as it made all the tradeoffs on starting in FantasyLand, riding certain rides standby vs. getting FastPass etc. After about three hours we were on track and departed from RideMax the rest of the day, and slowed way down on our pace. We spent a lot of time shopping mid-day and casually using our FastPasses.

So RideMax can still help experienced DLR visitors.

• Back After Missing MC

Has anyone used RideMax over the holidays? We went last year over Christmas and even though I purchased RideMax we never used it. We are going to try to get back to the park for New Years this year and knowing it will be a mad house could RideMax help during this super busy time?

• Neep meep beep

I've used RideMax many many times, and I consider it a help, even for experienced people. I actually learn a lot from the program by noticing the patters and sequence of events from the printouts. My wife was very much "anti" ride max, until one morning when we had done something like 20 rides by noon - now she's even a big fan.