Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

My daughter got Libby Lu'd (but NOT Libby Lewd) in DTD this week....

Due to all the negativity I've read about Libby Lu on the Disney Boards in the last two years, I've always shied away from letting my daughter go to that place. But my sister let her daughter get Libby Lu'd when she was there and said it was a fun and innocent experience so I decided to let my 11 year old try it out since she'll probably be too old for it by the time we go on our next trip.

For $25.00, she got a hot pink knapsack that she got to fill with 5 items...she chose a jewel shaped jar of slime, a telephone message pad, sticky flowers that go on mirrors or glass, a key chain, and two rings and a clear lip gloss.

She got to choose one hairstyle from the four selections. She chose the one that looked like an updo for a prom and had no fake hairpieces or colors added. The gal working there did a fantastic job on the updo and then hairsprayed it with a light spritz of glitter.

She put a cute choker with a heart on it around my daughter's neck, put light pink eyeshadow on her lids, and clear gloss on her lips. Then she painted her fingernails light pink and put a light dusting of glitter on top of them. The last thing she added were two silver hearts and one silver star next to her eyes, but my daughter took those off as soon as we left because she said those were the only things that made her feel stupid. My other daughters and I put them on the middle of our foreheads!

My daughter has a babyish looking face so she did not look risque at all, but just very sweet. She did not buy any of the clothes there , but just wore her own. I did see a birthday party with girls who got the rockstar look and the spandex clothes, but even they did not seem that risque. I asked a few of the gals working there what they think the hype is all about and this is what they told me....any time you see girls who look like they've been Libby Lu'd , but to an extent where they look kind of sexy , it's because their MOTHERS added mascara, eyeliner, and darker colors of make-up. But the employees there assured me that they always try to keep the girls looking as young as they are. I thought that was very interesting.

For $25.00, I thought it was a good value (she also got to keep the choker and the make up contact) and a positive experience for my daughter. She felt like a princess the rest of the day (just like I would if I'd just had a great hair and make-up day) and the next day when we took the updo down, her hair looked really curly and cute. And she is just as sweet and innocent today as she was before she went in there!

So if any of you hear a lot of negativity about Libby Lu, don't believe it all.

PS I'll post some pictures in a short while!
    Last edited by Princess Buttercup; 08-30-2006 at 08:06 PM.

• Popular Princess

Re: My daughter got Libby Lu'd (but NOT Libby Lewd) in DTD this week....

interesting! i'm glad you posted that for everyone to see! thanx for sharing!
    I'd rather be at Disneyland

• Man O Lantern

Cute thread title, PB!

But we still won't be Libby Lu-ing anytime soon! We did it once (not the full experience, just shopping), and I won't let my youngest go in there again. The other two girls don't want to.

I've seen people make faces at some of the Libby Lu girls and I'd hate for my daughter to even catch a glimpse of the negativity. I know she'd love it though. Even if I wouldn't. I'm glad you guys had a great experience!

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

I took Paige to Libby Lu last year and got her the $25 makeover. She looked adorable with her hair and cutesy make-up. She really enjoyed it, and with her jeans and long sleeved Hurley t-shirt she did not look slutty or sexified in the least. She loved it, and I'm glad we did it then because now she's way too old and way too cool for that place.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

• no flash photography...

when I saw it, there were about 6 very young girls dressed in belly baring outfits being led in this butt, hip rolling shaking dance (to old for their age) by the store employee outside the store. The employee was wearing a tutu. The parents were filmong it and cheering them on.. It was creepy and IIMO would be a pediphiles dream.

I now not all kids come out looking/acting like that though... I'm glad your child had fun and it was a positive experience.

• A Pirate's life for me!

Good post...

We have treated our daughters to a LL "makeover" for the past three Thanksgiving's (we enjoy our T-Day at the Resort and eat in the Grand Ballroom). It is a little bonus for them dressing up for the dinner event.

They have never come out looking like little street walkers as mentioned before. We are VERY conservative with how they look and would never do the extreme to them. We are VERY pleased with the outcome of their makeovers. I couldn't tell you the "type" or "style", but they look nice.

I agree that the parents that "add" to their makeovers are to blame. Of course, the few that I have seen don't surprise me...Just look at the moms!!!

And BTW, it was a pleasure meeting you at the meet last sunday!

• Banned User

I let Rachal go in there, the stuff she bought wwas gross ( body glitter) and I will nto let her libby loo loo her self, nope not going to happen ewwwwwwwwww

Thumbs down Re: My daughter got Libby Lu'd (but NOT Libby Lewd) in DTD this week....

/start Libby Lewd rant...

I can't stand that store and seeing what very young girls come out looking like! As sad as it sounds, my friends and I say we think of Jon Benet Ramsey each time a "made over" girl walks out in some tiny outfit and 5 layers of makeup... Before you start clicking away on bad rep points, I'm not trying to make a joke about her or anything, I'm just stating FACT on what the girls look like!

As another person said; the store employees will then also take little girls outside and have them do Britney Spears type dance moves. I don't understand how adults can laugh and be filming all of this thinking it's such a great idea. Do they even relize what type of sick world we're living in now-in-days? I'm not saying your little girls can't have fun... but do they really need to dress like a youknowwhat at 5 to 12 years old to do it? Nor do they notice older guys who could be sitting less than 5 feet away watching all of this? I guess I miss the point of how that is "fun".

Man, what a bad idea... I'm happy that most of the members here also think it's NOT a good thing to dress little girls up like that. Big, big thumbs down to that trashy place.

/end rant... Thanks for reading
    Last edited by Wesley815; 08-30-2006 at 08:24 PM.
    -Wes

• love my friends

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Buttercup View Post
    Due to all the negativity I've read about Libby Lu on the Disney Boards in the last two years, I've always shied away from letting my daughter go to that place. But my sister let her daughter get Libby Lu'd when she was there and said it was a fun and innocent experience so I decided to let my 11 year old try it out since she'll probably be too old for it by the time we go on our next trip.

For $25.00, she got a hot pink knapsack that she got to fill with 5 items...she chose a jewel shaped jar of slime, a telephone message pad, sticky flowers that go on mirrors or glass, a key chain, and two rings and a clear lip gloss.

She got to choose one hairstyle from the four selections. She chose the one that looked like an updo for a prom and had no fake hairpieces or colors added. The gal working there did a fantastic job on the updo and then hairsprayed it with a light spritz of glitter.

She put a cute choker with a heart on it around my daughter's neck, put light pink eyeshadow on her lids, and clear gloss on her lips. Then she painted her fingernails light pink and put a light dusting of glitter on top of them. The last thing she added were two silver hearts and one silver star next to her eyes, but my daughter took those off as soon as we left because she said those were the only things that made her feel stupid. My other daughters and I put them on the middle of our foreheads!

My daughter has a babyish looking face so she did not look risque at all, but just very sweet. She did not buy any of the clothes there , but just wore her own. I did see a birthday party with girls who got the rockstar look and the spandex clothes, but even they did not seem that risque. I asked a few of the gals working there what they think the hype is all about and this is what they told me....any time you see girls who look like they've been Libby Lu'd , but to an extent where they look kind of sexy , it's because their MOTHERS added mascara, eyeliner, and darker colors of make-up. But the employees there assured me that they always try to keep the girls looking as young as they are. I thought that was very interesting.

For $25.00, I thought it was a good value (she also got to keep the choker and the make up contact) and a positive experience for my daughter. She felt like a princess the rest of the day (just like I would if I'd just had a great hair and make-up day) and the next day when we took the updo down, her hair looked really curly and cute. And she is just as sweet and innocent today as she was before she went in there!

So if any of you hear a lot of negativity about Libby Lu, don't believe it all.

PS I'll post some pictures in a short while!

my 2 little ones want this too.. I just never got around to it.. now i am moving to vegas.. I think I will surprise the both of them with it when we come for a visit in 2 months..

I think $25 is a GREAT DEAL.............. thanks for sharing anne..

Friends for life

• love my friends

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley815 View Post
    I can't stand that store and seeing what very young girls come out looking like! My friends and I say we think of Jon Benet Ramsey each time a "made over" girl walks out in some tiny outfit and 5 layers of makeup... Before you start clicking away on bad rep points, I'm not trying to make a joke about her or anything, I'm just stating FACT on what the girls look like!

As another person said; the store employees will then also take little girls outside and have them do Britney Spears type dance moves. I don't understand how adults can laugh and be filming all of this thinking it's such a great idea. Do they even relize what type of sick world we're living in now-in-days? I'm not saying your little girls can't have fun... but do they really need to dress like a youknowwhat at 5 to 12 years old to do it? I guess I miss the point.

Man, what a bad idea... I'm happy that most of the members here also think it's NOT a good thing to dress little girls up like that. Big, big thumbs down to that trashy place.

but girls love make up

I dont agree with doing it like Jonbonnet.. no way.. but once ina while is alot of fun for them

Friends for life

Quote Originally Posted by kelly View Post
    but girls love make up

I dont agree with doing it like Jonbonnet.. no way.. but once ina while is alot of fun for them

I agree it is fun for them. Thats why I put the make up on my daughter when she was younger...when she wanted to play dress up. It was fun for both of us and we were in the privacy of our house. She was not paraded around in public like a piece of meat.....There's no need to got to the build a wh...i mean, libby lu for a child to play with make-up.

I guess the "show" I say just left me feeling disgusted about that store.

• love my friends

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe View Post
    I agree it is fun for them. Thats why I put the make up on my daughter when she was younger...when she wanted to play dress up. It was fun for both of us and we were in the privacy of our house. She was not paraded around in public like a piece of meat.....There's no need to got to the build a wh...i mean, libby lu for a child to play with make-up.

I guess the "show" I say just left me feeling disgusted about that store.

when my older daughter was here (she left today to go back to canada) she put make up on the girls.. they loved it.. i didnt parade them around with it.. i did it to brittany when she was younger.. it is fun for the girls Hubby doesnt agree with it .. but I think its part of BEING A GIRL..

but I dont believe in beauty pagents for little girls with all the glamour, etc.. but libby lu and putting make up on your daughter at home is harmless I think

Friends for life

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley815 View Post
    I can't stand that store and seeing what very young girls come out looking like! As sad as it sounds, my friends and I say we think of Jon Benet Ramsey each time a "made over" girl walks out in some tiny outfit and 5 layers of makeup... Before you start clicking away on bad rep points, I'm not trying to make a joke about her or anything, I'm just stating FACT on what the girls look like!

Well hopefully no one will start bad repping you (or me either for that matter) since we all have our different experiences which cause us to form our different opinions. I'm just wondering if you've actually seen little girls coming out of there with 5 layers of make-up on because I have never seen any wearing that much make-up and what the gal put on my daughter was very subtle.

As another person said; the store employees will then also take little girls outside and have them do Britney Spears type dance moves. I don't understand how adults can laugh and be filming all of this thinking it's such a great idea.

I did see this and my thought about it was that it was totally unnecessary. If my daughter and her friends wanted to pretend to be rock starts , I would prefer that they do so in the privacy of our home. But luckily, I don't think anyone other than those of us in the store really even noticed them. And my sympathies were with the employees who had to do that as part of their job since they looked kind of silly!

Do they even relize what type of sick world we're living in now-in-days? I'm not saying your little girls can't have fun... but do they really need to dress like a youknowwhat at 5 to 12 years old to do it? I guess I miss the point.

I think the clothing part is unnecessary too. The way the girls look after they've had their hair and make up done probably has a lot to do with how the girls look without it. Like I said, my daughter has a very babyish face so doing a cute updo and adding make-up to her makes her look pretty, not sexy. Same with my two older girls ...when they had their hair and make up done for prom they looked gorgeous. The only time they have ever looked sexy is when they have added heavy eyeliner and lots of mascara and the only time they have ever done that is when they were dressed up as pirates one Halloween.

Man, what a bad idea... I'm happy that most of the members here also think it's NOT a good thing to dress little girls up like that.

I don't know if it's most of the members here or not...I've just heard a lot of negative things. But I think that in this situation , just as any involving my kids, I was ultimately the one in charge, so if I'd seen anything happening I didn't like, I would have put a stop to it right then and there.

Big, big thumbs down to that trashy place.

That's fine. I believe that you've probably seen some things that gave you a bad opinion of the place.

• Scentsy Minion

Blog Entries

I have to agree that it is fun for the girls. My only complaint is that they didn't create a store like that sooner so I could have partaken in it! Instead, I pranced around my house in my own makeup, trying to make my hair pretty, and proudly displaying a tiara! I am not a fan of the whole "Madonna" look with the microphone, but the glitter and glam, heck yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by kelly View Post
    when my older daughter was here (she left today to go back to canada) she put make up on the girls.. they loved it.. i didnt parade them around with it.. i did it to brittany when she was younger.. it is fun for the girls Hubby doesnt agree with it .. but I think its part of BEING A GIRL..

but I dont believe in beauty pagents for little girls with all the glamour, etc.. but libby lu and putting make up on your daughter at home is harmless I think
    I have a confession to make. My daughter was in pagents. She won several titles as a baby, but once she hit 2 and i saw how the mother were putting all this make up on the, teasing their hair up, slapping them in the bathroom for not holding still for the several costime cahnges and make-up touch ups...well I stopped right there. It wasn't for us. I never applied make up to my child for the pagents os teased her hair up...that pagent was really scary......and it made me very sad. I was kind of happy when my child broke free and ran around tearing the stage apart. It clearly wasn't fun for her either...LOL...

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast