Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

Re: Year of A Million Dreams What Are They Thinking?

I think that a slogan isn't what makes the park, whats in the park is what makes it. It's just a slogan for god sakes, call it the happiest place on earth, call it where your dreams come true, does it matter?

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Analyst View Post
    I think that a slogan isn't what makes the park, whats in the park is what makes it. It's just a slogan for god sakes, call it the happiest place on earth, call it where your dreams come true, does it matter?
    Why does it matter... Because it is part of a trend...

Disney switching from advertising two seperate and different resorts, to just a generic idea.. "Disney Parks", where you will find the same things, no matter where you go.

Hong Kong Disneyland and Walt Disney Studio Paris are just as good as any other park.......
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• The one, the only...

Just a couple points:

1) The 50th anniversary worked great for Disneyland but fell on its face in Florida. Attendance did not pop in Orlando and merchandise moved very slowly. Wouldn't you go to Orlando to celebrate Disneyland?

2) It is what is in the parks that brings people in. New rides or other attractions like parades or fireworks brings in people. Hope and a prayer don't work. Right now Disney is trying to sell "dreams." Frankly, I think that a little more tangible focus should be offered. But Disney does not want to spend the money on attractions but on advertising.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• The one, the only...

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer View Post
    Why does it matter... Because it is part of a trend...

Disney switching from advertising two seperate and different resorts, to just a generic idea.. "Disney Parks", where you will find the same things, no matter where you go.

Hong Kong Disneyland and Walt Disney Studio Paris are just as good as any other park.......
    I agree is it a nasty trend. Imagine if the NFL tried to run commercials, "Attend your local NFL team, whatever that is." It would ignore all the local fan bases all accross the country that have varying reasons for commitment. Many fans would not like being put in the category as other team fans.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• It's all nonsense

Can someone please show me where they say that you can find the same things at every park? I've read this argument several times and it just doesn't float because they never say this. Nor do they say that every park is just as good as the other.

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
    Can someone please show me where they say that you can find the same things at every park? I've read this argument several times and it just doesn't float because they never say this. Nor do they say that every park is just as good as the other.
    It isn't explicitly said that I have seen, but it is implied in the fact that these are the only commercials being made. They aren't making different ones for DPR, HK, TDR, DLR or WDW. It's all the same ad campaign. That right there is what lumps it all into a generic, "come to our parks" kind of thing. The parks are all unique and have their own "flavor" and people have their own reasons for going to those parks. But these ads assume that everyone has the same reasons and that the parks are identical enough that only one ad campaign will work for all of them (across 3 continents, 4 languages, etc).

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Fact is, as much as I love Disneyland, my dreams have never come true there. BUT I am very happy when I am there - therefore, "The Happiest Place on Earth" is a word of truth.

My dreams are to buy a nice big house with a built in pool, have one or two more children after the first one we're having is born in October and maybe win the lottery. These things will not happen at Disneyland - so no, my dreams will not come true there - making that statement NULL AND VOID......but I am still HAPPY when I go there.

Why fix something that isn't broken? I mean, really.........who are they marketing this slogan too anyway? And thinking back to when I was a kid, I never would have though my dreams would come true at Disneyland...but again, I did believe then, back in the 1970's, that yes, Disneyland WAS the Happiest Place on Earh.

Why fix something that isn't broken. Imagination and Idiotic Changes are NOT the same thing. Why not direct their energies toward nightly paint touch ups, light bulb changes, clipping shrubs, etc and so on. Fix THOSE things.

• It's all nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    That right there is what lumps it all into a generic, "come to our parks" kind of thing. The parks are all unique and have their own "flavor" and people have their own reasons for going to those parks.
    'Come to our parks' does not in any way mean 'Our parks are all the same'. I would rather have these ads rather than showcase WDW on DLs bday, which they seemed to do alot with the 50th.

And lets say that each park had an ad. Where do you show these ads? In the same city/state as the park. Nationwide? Worldwide? You want to see 5 ads for all the resorts? We know each park is different, but how do you showcase everything throughout the world without an army of ads?

• I'm not really here

Where do you show these ads? In the same city/state as the park. Nationwide? Worldwide? You want to see 5 ads for all the resorts? We know each park is different, but how do you showcase everything throughout the world without an army of ads?
    You do what happened for the 50th. I live closer to DL than WDW and I saw maybe 1 or 2 WDW ads, while I saw a whole bunch of DL ads. In Europe and Western Asia you show DLP ads. In Eastern Asia you show HK and TDL ads. Targeting your ad campaign is something people have been doing for a VERY long time. It's part of why they take your zip code when they do the survey out front. To keep track of WHERE people are attending the parks from. Disney has definitely done the demographic research... why they aren't using it to their benefit is beyond me.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• It's all nonsense

You do what happened for the 50th. I live closer to DL than WDW and I saw maybe 1 or 2 WDW ads, while I saw a whole bunch of DL ads. In Europe and Western Asia you show DLP ads. In Eastern Asia you show HK and TDL ads. Targeting your ad campaign is something people have been doing for a VERY long time. It's part of why they take your zip code when they do the survey out front. To keep track of WHERE people are attending the parks from. Disney has definitely done the demographic research... why they aren't using it to their benefit is beyond me.
    But in the US you never see ads for Paris or TDL/HK. Every resort offers different adventures.
    Here is a capaign to where you visit the site and it shows you not only the US parks, but all the parks Disney has in one location. The generic scope gives more options.

• I'm not really here

But in the US you never see ads for Paris or TDL/HK. Every resort offers different adventures.
    Here is a capaign to where you visit the site and it shows you not only the US parks, but all the parks Disney has in one location. The generic scope gives more options.
    lol, that's exactly what I'm saying. You don't see ads for Paris in the US because the US parks are nothing like the Paris parks. For this new thing they are doing they made one set of ads to be applied globally. If anything, this was a money issue. "We don't want to spend the money to put together a quality targeted ad campaign, so we're just going to blanket it in one ad and let Walt spasm in his grave."

The site does allow you to link out to the various parks... but the site is still a generic campaign that overarches all parks in one theme. And while having one theme is ok... executing it the same way across 5 resorts is not smart. Because those resorts are all so different.

• It's all nonsense

lol, that's exactly what I'm saying. You don't see ads for Paris in the US because the US parks are nothing like the Paris parks.
    First off this makes no sense. And this applies to my point how?

The site does allow you to link out to the various parks... but the site is still a generic campaign that overarches all parks in one theme. And while having one theme is ok... executing it the same way across 5 resorts is not smart. Because those resorts are all so different.
    You still have never answered my question. How do you showcase TDl/HK/DLP to people in the US then? Do you just never let the average Joe know about these other parks?
    I know the parks are different, that doesn't answer the question of how one company is supposed to advertise 5 worldwide resorts.
    Last edited by The Mad Hatter; 08-31-2006 at 03:18 PM.

• I'm not really here

I think I see what you're saying now. With the 50th, they did show WDW and DL resort ads in the other resorts primary area. Just not as heavily. I think it would be beneficial to Disney to make ads that were specific to each resort, that fit with in the theme of the campaign. And then show that areas resort ads most heavily in that area. However, you do show the ads for the other resorts as well... just not as a prime focus. This way you get to shocase each resorts uniqueness and you can still show all of them to the whole world. It's a targeted global ad campaign. Mixing both.

Sorry I misunderstood you for so long. Didn't mean to be a pill or anything. Just think this could have been executed with much more finesse.

• It's all nonsense

Sorry I misunderstood you for so long. Didn't mean to be a pill or anything. Just think this could have been executed with much more finesse.
    No worries You have great points, most of which I don't necessarily disagree with fundamentally.

Mycroft16, we shall take over Disney marketing and rule the world!

• Iron-Clad Allie

I have no problem with having an overall slogan represent all of the parks, combined. "The Happiest Celebration On Earth" certainly worked. Although, I believe that none of the other parks had a clue that Disneyland was the center of the event.

The other Disney resorts each appeared that as though they thought the celebration was all about themselves, rather than the 50th aniversery of Walt's maiden park. The Walt Disney Company should have rammed it down their proverbial throats by adding to the slogan, "The Happiest Celebration On Earth - Commemorating the 50th Aniversary of Walt Disney's Groundbreaking Original, Disneyland". Kind of rolles off the tongue, huh?

"Where Dreams Come True" is too damned trite and nondescript for an overall theme. Why can't they ever come up with something bouncy, that has some life in it...such as Party Like It's 1955!
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast