Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 35
  1. #1

    • Disneyland Cast Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    335

    NO WONDER THEY CAN'T HIRE CMs WHEN YOU CAN GET $10 HOLDING A SIGN!

    This from the OC Register.

    A 'human directional' gets $10 an hour to twirl advertising placards on a street corner.

    http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister...le_1260635.php

    And they wonder why no one shows up at the job fairs.

  2. #2

    • I'm not really here
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Too Far From Disneyland
    Posts
    11,187

    Re: NO WONDER THEY CAN'T HIRE CMs WHEN YOU CAN GET $10 HOLDING A SIGN!

    That's just sad. You'd think Disney HR would have gotten a clue by now.

    Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

  3. #3

    • It's all nonsense
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    You'll never guess
    Posts
    2,552

    Re: NO WONDER THEY CAN'T HIRE CMs WHEN YOU CAN GET $10 HOLDING A SIGN!

    Lets make a thread about it.

  4. #4

    • Disneyland Cast Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    335

    Re: NO WONDER THEY CAN'T HIRE CMs WHEN YOU CAN GET $10 HOLDING A SIGN!

    You know all the Park has to do is hire one of those sign guys to stand at at Ball Rd. and Cast Place for the next job fair.

  5. #5

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    339

    Re: NO WONDER THEY CAN'T HIRE CMs WHEN YOU CAN GET $10 HOLDING A SIGN!

    I've seen those sign holders around here (Pittsburg) and they lean the sign on a light pole and sit in a lounge chair with a bunch of friends.
    Bet whoever hired them would have liked to see a picture of that.

  6. #6

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    well thats none of your buisness
    Posts
    25,263

    Re: NO WONDER THEY CAN'T HIRE CMs WHEN YOU CAN GET $10 HOLDING A SIGN!

    hey, there was a guy holding a sign here yeaterday wow 10>00 sounds liek a good job to me!

  7. #7

    • Sshhh, being very quiet
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    S. California
    Posts
    16,597

    Re: NO WONDER THEY CAN'T HIRE CMs WHEN YOU CAN GET $10 HOLDING A SIGN!

    There are tons of new houses coming up in the San Bernadino County off the 15 freeway. I see those people with signs on EVERY corner off the freeway!

  8. #8

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Temecula, California
    Posts
    9,153

    Re: NO WONDER THEY CAN'T HIRE CMs WHEN YOU CAN GET $10 HOLDING A SIGN!

    I've done this before. Bring your iPod, lunch and a chair and start flipping that sign baby! 100 bucks a day for me. once a weekend.

  9. #9

    • insufferable know-it-all
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Location: Location
    Posts
    9,648

    Re: NO WONDER THEY CAN'T HIRE CMs WHEN YOU CAN GET $10 HOLDING A SIGN!

    Seriously now... Disney just flat-out does not pay enough. If they want people to knock down the doors of the casting center, they should take what they paid CMs on opening day, and adjust for inflation. Heck, at least find a halfway point between the pittance they pay today and what the pay SHOULD be at.

    You can't live in OC on what Disney pays, and with what gas costs, you can't afford to commute for it either. Back when I worked there, a lot of CMs lived out in Riverside and drove all the way in for work. But between the risen cost of living in Riverside, and the highly inflated cost of commuting (which has gotten so bad that people are finding it's cheaper to pay for housing OC, scary as that is), there's just no way Disney can hope to attract quality workers.

    Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...



  10. #10

    • C4C6C
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Valencia, CA
    Posts
    2,152

    Re: NO WONDER THEY CAN'T HIRE CMs WHEN YOU CAN GET $10 HOLDING A SIGN!

    How much does a CM get paid anyways? Are there benefits?

    The article stated this guy works two days, 5 hours a day, for $10 an hour, in the hot weather, car fumes, etc. I KNOW I can't survive on $100 a week minus taxes.

  11. #11

    • Sshhh, being very quiet
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    S. California
    Posts
    16,597

    Re: NO WONDER THEY CAN'T HIRE CMs WHEN YOU CAN GET $10 HOLDING A SIGN!

    Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon View Post
    Seriously now... Disney just flat-out does not pay enough. If they want people to knock down the doors of the casting center, they should take what they paid CMs on opening day, and adjust for inflation. Heck, at least find a halfway point between the pittance they pay today and what the pay SHOULD be at.

    You can't live in OC on what Disney pays, and with what gas costs, you can't afford to commute for it either. Back when I worked there, a lot of CMs lived out in Riverside and drove all the way in for work. But between the risen cost of living in Riverside, and the highly inflated cost of commuting (which has gotten so bad that people are finding it's cheaper to pay for housing OC, scary as that is), there's just no way Disney can hope to attract quality workers.
    *sigh* I hate reading this...nothing against Morrigoon, because all you wrote is true. Especially since I'm waiting to hear on a legal office job in Disneyland park offices.
    Last edited by clara; 08-31-2006 at 10:30 AM.

  12. #12

    • Rock Star Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    13,338

    Re: NO WONDER THEY CAN'T HIRE CMs WHEN YOU CAN GET $10 HOLDING A SIGN!

    Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon View Post
    Seriously now... Disney just flat-out does not pay enough. If they want people to knock down the doors of the casting center, they should take what they paid CMs on opening day, and adjust for inflation. Heck, at least find a halfway point between the pittance they pay today and what the pay SHOULD be at.

    You can't live in OC on what Disney pays, and with what gas costs, you can't afford to commute for it either. Back when I worked there, a lot of CMs lived out in Riverside and drove all the way in for work. But between the risen cost of living in Riverside, and the highly inflated cost of commuting (which has gotten so bad that people are finding it's cheaper to pay for housing OC, scary as that is), there's just no way Disney can hope to attract quality workers.
    True. But that shouldn't be the kind of CM candidates that DL should be looking to hire.
    College students at Chapman, Fullerton, Irvine, etc. If there a real off-season, then they could work fewer hours during the week and more on weekends, and more on holidays. Sadly, off-season requires more than a skeleton crew. If only that could be changed....
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

  13. #13

    • insufferable know-it-all
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Location: Location
    Posts
    9,648

    Re: NO WONDER THEY CAN'T HIRE CMs WHEN YOU CAN GET $10 HOLDING A SIGN!

    Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    True. But that shouldn't be the kind of CM candidates that DL should be looking to hire.
    College students at Chapman, Fullerton, Irvine, etc. If there a real off-season, then they could work fewer hours during the week and more on weekends, and more on holidays. Sadly, off-season requires more than a skeleton crew. If only that could be changed....
    But they can't hire college students if they're so drastically understaffed that they refuse to work with the students' schedules, which is apparently the case these days. They need a solid, full-time staff at the core of DL, to keep it running at a minimum during low periods, and supplement that with the college students.

    Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...



  14. #14

    • I'm your huckleberry.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Ventura County, CA
    Posts
    6,176

    Re: NO WONDER THEY CAN'T HIRE CMs WHEN YOU CAN GET $10 HOLDING A SIGN!

    Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon View Post
    They need a solid, full-time staff at the core of DL, to keep it running at a minimum during low periods, and supplement that with the college students.
    I really think that's the key. But unless there is a drastic paradigm shift in TDA/WDC thinking, it'll never happen.

    Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

    Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

  15. #15

    • Rock Star Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    13,338

    Re: NO WONDER THEY CAN'T HIRE CMs WHEN YOU CAN GET $10 HOLDING A SIGN!

    Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon View Post
    But they can't hire college students if they're so drastically understaffed that they refuse to work with the students' schedules, which is apparently the case these days. They need a solid, full-time staff at the core of DL, to keep it running at a minimum during low periods, and supplement that with the college students.
    And I'm stating that the core required is too large. When an average of 40000 guests (14.5 mil divided by 365) visit every day, that means there aren't a lot of 20000-guest days. Add to this a DCA core, as well as a new hotel and DTD all competing for employees (as well as the rest of growing OC), and it means that the core is too large. Add to this the watered down revenue coming in through the gates, yet the guests still expecting Disney-level experiences, and it's a recipe for disaster. Yes, Disney's minimum wage needs to be increased for the year-round CM, but I'd rather see that core be smaller, so it is less diificult to fill those positions. I know of a way, but it's way too controversial to bring up every time.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Will they hire me?
    By duckiedianne in forum Break Room
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-02-2007, 06:46 PM
  2. Re-Re-hire help
    By sillycrazygoof in forum Break Room
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-26-2007, 05:43 PM
  3. Would they hire me if...
    By XCLIPSE129 in forum Break Room
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-11-2006, 01:16 PM
  4. That Package Holding Thing
    By NeverNeverland in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-21-2005, 10:09 PM
  5. What is holding DCA back?
    By JiminyCricketFan in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 04-27-2005, 09:01 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •