Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• The one, the only...

Gift cards are a GIFT???

I got a notice from Disneyland this week. As an Annual Passholder, they are giving gift cards as a gift. The thing is, THERE IS NOTHING ON THE CARDS. One has to add your own money to the cards. Now I don't purchase a lot of gift cards, except at Christmas. Now as I remember, I never had to pay for the gift cards themselves when I purchased them. I just choose one and added money.

So I don't understand what the gift is? You get free gift cards that have nothing on them (So they are basically is worthless). But you have the opportunity to put money on them, but the cards themselves are free (which in every other store would be free anyway).

Now I suppose all those gift card collectors out there are thrilled, but I am not getting what is so wonderful about empty gift cards??

Are there people out there who can explain this to me?
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Married and happy again!!

Re: Gift cards are a GIFT???

Better be one nice card made of gold or platinum or it's no gift in my book.
    Micechatter #5053 Looking for our new home in the WDW area! We need to get closer to our "Laughing Place"!

• Princess of my own world

I totally understand where you're coming from. Last Christmas Build-a-bear did the same thing. I was completly confused until I read the whole packet saying you take it to the store or type in the number online to add money to it. I don't think it's a very good marketing strategy because it's very confusing.
    Visit my blog: Shutters & Scribbles

Check out my class's Donors Choose page:
    Wildcat Projects
    **Donors Choose is a place where teachers post projects for their classes and request materials and/or technology for that project. People then can make donations starting at just $1 to help fund that project. This is a great way to support teachers and their classes!**

When my notice came in the mail I really had to look twice and then a third time to realize that they had spent a lot of money on this super special mailing that was a big nothing. Although, I am sure there are people that are thrilled with exclusive gift card styles, it seems a bit over the top to mail out a fancy and expensive announcement to tell us all about it. I was disappointed.

well they are doing a sweepstakes kind of thing with it. When you get the card, you have a chance of getting money put on it by disney...or something like that.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    well they are doing a sweepstakes kind of thing with it. When you get the card, you have a chance of getting money put on it by disney...or something like that.
    Yeah, you turn in the coupon that comes with the mailer with your information and you're entered to win a $100 DLR AP Gift Card.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Man O Lantern

Oooooh, one hundred dollarinis! A hundred smackeroos!

Geez.

I got this in the mail and cracked up. Horrible promotion!

• Incognito

Blog Entries

I love how flashy and fancy they make that mailer out to be. I got that thing last week. I put it in the round file.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by Olympicnut View Post
    I love how flashy and fancy they make that mailer out to be. I got that thing last week. I put it in the round file.

Yeah, I got all excited when I saw how flashy and nice it looked. And then I just threw it in my stack of other crap after reading it.

Who does Disney think they're kidding? I'd rather be offered another 50th mousepad and then them run out of it within a couple weeks.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by JiminyCricketFan View Post
    You get free gift cards that have nothing on them (So they are basically is worthless).
    Yup.

Considering that those cards don't sell AT ALL, I wouldn't be suprised if they are phased out, which makes that card more of a cool memento.

Whew.. I wasn't the only one confused.

What, you are going to give me free empty gift card so I can put money on it for others to use? I'm on the next flight to Orange County.

Yeah, My wife and I had a good laugh over it when we got it.

• Former Cast Member

my circular went into the trash after I read that. Man, what a gift they gove us after all the $$ we spend on not only annual passes, but food and souvenirs inside the park. Good going marketing department.

• Zero Blockout Dates

Quote Originally Posted by RetroMousie View Post
    When my notice came in the mail I really had to look twice and then a third time to realize that they had spent a lot of money on this super special mailing that was a big nothing. Although, I am sure there are people that are thrilled with exclusive gift card styles, it seems a bit over the top to mail out a fancy and expensive announcement to tell us all about it. I was disappointed.
    I thought the real reason for the flyer was the chance to hurl the "It's Not TOO late To Celebrate the 50th (even though we turned 51 last month)" campaign at us one last time.
    IMO - YMMV - FYIGM

• Sector Two Droid Repair

It reminds me of all the corporate trash mail I get everyday in my inbox. My company spends a ton of money on flashy feel good pamphlets that promote the most worthless things. These things are instantly thrown away but must have cost a bit to produce. I believe corporations have entire departments dedicated to the creation of this crap. I don't see how any of it helps our bottom line.
    http://www.endorexpress.net/
    Disneyland - It's better than drugs.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast