Thread: Alladin show?

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

Alladin show?

Jr Miss Sunnygirl and I hit the parks today for a last mommy-daughter adventure before school starts this week. We were at DCA, it was 4pm, and we decided to catch the 4:05 showing of Aladdin at the Hyperion theatre.

We enjoyed the show more than we expected to, it was pretty cute and some of the effects were really cool. However, just before the very end, right after Aladdin defeated Jafar, the lights came up and they announced due to technical difficulties the show would be halted temporarily. A few minutes later, another announcement informed us that due to technical difficulties, the show would be cancelled! Of course, we know how it ends, so no big deal, but we were kind of disappointed and more than a little curious.

Anyone got some scoop for us? What happened?
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

• Closed Account

Re: Alladin show?

Maybe there was a technical difficulty.

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wrs28220 View Post
    Maybe there was a technical difficulty.

Oh, I hadn't thought of that. Thanks.

• n/a

I guess the show DOESN'T have to go on...
    “Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die.” ~ Mel Brooks

• You Spin Me Right Round

wow, it must have been HUGE to cancel a show... As a theatre person, i should know, lol

• Banned User

My friend "Shane" Is Alladin for this show.

• Defying gravity

Wow, that's never happened to me before. Once, the carpet wasn't working and they just continued without it. It's a good thing that this wasn't your first time seeing the show and you had already seen the ending - otherwise, that's really a bummer.

You're lucky school starts so late in CA. I started school on August 14th!

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyPrincess4590 View Post
    Wow, that's never happened to me before. Once, the carpet wasn't working and they just continued without it. It's a good thing that this wasn't your first time seeing the show and you had already seen the ending - otherwise, that's really a bummer.

You're lucky school starts so late in CA. I started school on August 14th!
    This was our first time seeing the show. I just assume it ends the same as the movie.

• Future Indy Castmember

You should've went to the 12:25 show if you had the chance. It went on all the way.

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the
    MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

The world is a treasure trove of places.
    The colors of Earth, Sea and Sky. Beauty i'm told, is ours to behold. In the wonderful world of color.
    Indy Ride Count: 2211
    World of Color Count: 74

pretty much what happens is (as you've already said) what happens in the movie

aladdin frees genie, then next thing you know al and jasmine are on a semi-large platform in the center of the stage, all the cast is out singing a grande finale version of "a whole new world", then the "flying carpet" that they rigged up and used during the first "new world" number starts flying around the audience again, this time w/ genie in a bright flowered shirt (looking much like he does at the end of the movie) and genie waves to all the kids in the audience and usually makes some crack about going to disneyland or something, something to give the audience one last chuckle in addition to the smiles they are already wearing due to the happy ending

then, like all theater productions, cast comes out, applause breaks out, cast bows, yada yada yada, curtain begins to fall and genie waves good bye, even getting on his hands and knees so that he's waving all the way till the curtain completely drops

i agree with you, all in all its a really cute show, and the few times that i have seen it (i live in nor cal and thus dont get down there as often as id like), the whole cast was really great, with genie always shining above the rest

purely speculation, but the technical difficulty probably had something to do with the carpet device, although that doesnt explain the show cancellation. they probably just didnt see the point in getting everyone settled down and starting the show again for one rather short musical number and a neat special effect that all in all lasts probably less than 2 minutes. probably was a wise choice from where they were standing, just isnt all that fun for the guests

if u can ever make it back there, i definitely reccommend going to see it again, both to see the finale and because its never the same show twice, genie always changes his lines to keep up with the news/celebrity headlines of the day
    Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy.

I was working at Tower of Terror today and decided to come by a little early. I was in the hollywood area when the 4:05 show was letting out. One of my friends at Hyperion told me that one of the wires that holds up a screen/background/whatever it is in theater terminology broke and that was the reason for the show ending early, i guess they were able to get it fixed for the 6:00 pm show. But this is a live theater show so everything and anything can happen.

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cardfrek View Post
    I was working at Tower of Terror today and decided to come by a little early. I was in the hollywood area when the 4:05 show was letting out. One of my friends at Hyperion told me that one of the wires that holds up a screen/background/whatever it is in theater terminology broke and that was the reason for the show ending early, i guess they were able to get it fixed for the 6:00 pm show. But this is a live theater show so everything and anything can happen.

Thank you, cardfrek! We were dying to know what happened!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by dsnyfnatic View Post
    and genie waves to all the kids in the audience and usually makes some crack about going to disneyland or something, something to give the audience one last chuckle in addition to the smiles they are already wearing due to the happy ending
    My favorite one was when we saw it May 4th, 2005. It all went as usual, and the Genie goes off and says "I'm going to Disneyland!!!", then a pause and you hear "Whadda ya mean its CLOSED???"
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

Sorry I can't help you with what happened to your show. But you just reminded me of last October when I was there the show stopped suddenly with alarms goin off and strobe lights flashing and the building was evacuated. It was about 20 minutes into the show.

We found out later that aparently a CM backstage burned a bag of popcorn in the microwave. We were kinda bummed cause it was the only show we would have time to see before leaving.

• Defying gravity

Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl View Post
    This was our first time seeing the show. I just assume it ends the same as the movie.
    Oh, sorry. Yes, it does.