Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Iron-Clad Allie

Ten Years From Now, Will Disneyland Lines Be Longer Or Shorter?

Over the course of the next ten years, a number of attendance related factors for Disneyland will likely occur.

1) Sister park, DCA, is receiving a major injection in the form of capital for an overhaul of certain areas, improvements and expansion.

2) A third theme park and waterpark may well be built and open by that time.

3) By then, there will be quite a few new rides and other attractions (including high capacity ones) at Disneyland itself. We expect the rumors shall ring true about a new ride for the PM tracks, a new Star Tours, and one or more attractions for the former Motorboat Cruise area. There have also been significant rumblings that predict new rides for Frontierland...including an expansion onto new property.

4) There are bound to be advances in crowd control mechanisms, such as FastPass and other avenues.

5) Other factors.

Let's consider the expansion of the overall resort in terms of rides, attractions, a possible new gate (and waterpark)...and, subsequently, an increased crowd handling capacity in relationship to today's attendance figures.

The question to ponder is... would the new rides and shows be so popular that they would drive attendance up high enough to offset the increased ride capacity? If so, would FastPass and other forms of crowd control make up for any dramatic increase in attendance?
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 09-03-2006 at 06:33 PM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

Re: Ten Years From Now, Will Disneyland Lines Be Longer Or Shorter?

I have no idea, but this is a really facinating question. I would have expected the opening of DCA to have a real impact on the lines but...either it isn't siphoning off enough people to make a difference or that many more people are coming... Really, I'll be thinking about this question for a while.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Don't diss my bonnet

the location of my profile picture is Knott's in 1972, i'm about 10 months old.

a third themepark? i'd rather seem improvements at DCA

a waterpark? zomg!!!!! yes~!!!!!...but....where? there's not a whole lot of space left around the resort...unless i'm missing something
    Will there be screams when the sun sets,
    -=Is It October Yet?=-

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkermonkey
    elly is the ultimate nerdy girl. But she makes it sexy
    Quote Originally Posted by pratt55
    Elly is adorkable.

• back in Austin

Besides the crowd-reducing effect that curtailing or removing FastPass would have, it would be very nice if overcrowding at the park could be controlled by some method other than raising ticket prices.

• Figment Fan Extradonaire

I suspect that DCA will have the same outcome as Epcot or MGM in WDW. As I recall they opened with minimal guest visitation, after some overhauls and add-ons they're both popular flagships at WDW. I can only hope for the same fate for DCA. I do admit I was unimpressed when I first visited DCA, but it really did grow on me over the years. And hopefully they don't ruin the original park by doing something majorly stupid e.g. Rocket Rods.

Kongalush! To all you fellow adventurers out there!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

If the DCA fix-ups are sucessful, then Disneyland's lines should probably be more evened out...one must also remember that Disneyland's major overcrowding has relaly been due to the 50th anniversary, and once the hoopla is over I think the crowds will go back to how they were a few years ago. And if DCA becomes a better park, that can only help.

We should also factor in the population. Disneyland Resort has a heavy impact of local visitors...anyone who lives in Southern California knows how much of a push there is to build more and more housing on an almost scary level. So many people want to live here or are born here...and then the Disney freak parents buy their little ones APs and Mickey ears The population here is only going to grow, and at a massive rate, as seen in previous years...

A water park would especially help summer crowding.

Additonal rides will certainly help...of course we all need to question how soon all shall be made. If we have a busy, full TL again, I think things will be in rather tip-top shape.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    Over the course of the next ten years, a number of attendance related factors for Disneyland will likely occur.

1) Sister park, DCA, is receiving a major injection in the form of capital for an overhaul of certain areas, improvements and expansion.

3) By then, there will be quite a few new rides and other attractions (including high capacity ones) at Disneyland itself. We expect the rumors shall ring true about a new ride for the PM tracks, a new Star Tours, and one or more attractions for the former Motorboat Cruise area. There have also been significant rumblings that predict new rides for Frontierland...including an expansion onto new property.

4) There are bound to be advances in crowd control mechanisms, such as FastPass and other avenues.

5) Other factors.

Let's consider the expansion of the overall resort in terms of rides, attractions, a possible new gate (and waterpark)...and, subsequently, an increased crowd handling capacity in relationship to today's attendance figures.

The question to ponder is... would the new rides and shows be so popular that they would drive attendance up high enough to offset the increased ride capacity? If so, would FastPass and other forms of crowd control make up for any dramatic increase in attendance?
    #1) improvements over at dca? lets hope it will not take ten years. hopefully they will start now.
    #2) third theme park? name it disneyland pc(politically correct) and CHANGE THE ORIGINAL PARK BACK TO ITS NON PC VERSION(POLITICALLY CORRECT) AND MOVE ALL THE PC(WELL, YOU KNOW) CHANGES TO THE , AD NAUSEM, ETC. ETC. ETC. a waterpark??? good Idea.
    #3) I have a good feeling about the original park. there is still life left in the ole girl. walt said that as long as there is imagination, there are possibilities. and ....."disneyland will never be completed. as long as there is imagination and ideas to drive that imagination". the first 50 years have been a major milestone. heres to the next 50.
    #4) you worry too much.
    #5) you worry WAAAAAAY TOO MUCH
    I am not psychic, or clairvoyant, but I provide you this forcast. 50 years from now, art linkletter the third and roy disney the fourth and dianne disney miller the fourth are all gathered at the castle to celebrate the 100 years of the disneyland resort(s).
    and a toast given to dedicate the next 50 years after that.

• Shaman of the Whills

Excellent question! Especially after going to DLR today and leaving after an hour or so, because I just didn't feel like dealing with the insane lines and no fast pass.

Your question reminds me of an interesting experiment I read about a couple of years back. The setup was a rat habitat which had enough space and food to sustain 250 rats. They dropped 25 rats into it and watched what would happen. Once the inhabitants reached the 250 mark the rats seemed to level out by turning gay.

Now I'm not saying that in 10 years time, prospective DLR visitors will turn gay, but I think eventually the park will reach the implosion level. The waiting times will become so unreasonable that some people won't visit DLR anymore. I for one will probably immediately leave if the Disney Parking folks try to route me to the Minnie parking deck. That should have given me some indication on how many people are in the park...

• Animatronic

Hopefully the lines won't be too long because of the vast number of E-Tickets in the park to break up the crowds. Of course the park will need more space, so say bye to Anaheim and say Hello to DisneyCity(tm).

• Lowering Expectations

DCA will be the largest determining factor in any change in crowd distribution at the resort in the next 10 years. At present, there is so much room for improvement to be made with DCA's ticket sales (the 2Fer comes to mind), but that's just the then part of the if/then statement. The if part is if the plans to improve/change/overhaul the park is handled and executed successfully in such a way that DCA finally finds its audience. I know that I personally will be watching, and it should be interesting to see how the park will continue to develop.

There's always the much-talked-about third park, but I am going to make a guess that it needs more time to become a reality, and it will probably still be in the blue-sky phase, or the planning phase, in ten years' time. I will be extremely surprised if any consruction happens before 2016.

Disneyland will continue to change, as Walt said it would, but I envision that the patronage will stay about the same, if not grow a little.
    Follow news-savvy @DLtoday on Twitter by clicking on the banner below:

• It's all about Theme!

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfan07 View Post
    #1) improvements over at dca? lets hope it will not take ten years. hopefully they will start now.
    It will be done by 2010!
    Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
    "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
    -August 1st 2010

And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
    -August 2nd 2010

• Down Pluto!

Shorter. Way shorter.

Disney Co will accept an offer by BPExxon for the properties that exceeds the future value of the park by several times, in order to drill for the last remaining oil reserves. No one except locals had been attending for the past couple of years anyway because no one else could afford to drive or fly there...

PSYCH!

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• Sun Wheel survivor!

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    Shorter. Way shorter.

Disney Co will accept an offer by BPExxon for the properties that exceeds the future value of the park by several times, in order to drill for the last remaining oil reserves. No one except locals had been attending for the past couple of years anyway because no one else could afford to drive or fly there...

PSYCH!
    I'm not sure about the oil - however - I think Sambo is on to something about affordability. Although Sambo suggests travel affordability will play a role - I think ticket price and cost of being in the park will also play a major role. I think the price of entry is already preventing some families/people from visiting more often. I think if there are more price increases some families/people will no longer be able to go. There are some right now that cannot afford the cost of a ticket. Then when you add the cost of food etc inside the park - it has the potential to limit visitors. Maybe that has always been Disney's way of keeping "certain types" out (I hope not) - but increasing ticket prices beyond a threshold (and I don't know what that number is) will drastically reduce attendance (and subsequently line size and ultimately Disney profits).

• Just this guy......

Ten years from now, if they keep rasing the ticket price the way they are (about $3.00 a year). A one day park hopper will be $110.00

• Senior Minion

I think there will be longer lines. There's a limit as to how many more attractions (of any sort) that can be packed into or around the berm; and the population is going to keep growing, and people are going to keep coming, no matter how much they extort, er, charge to go there.

Unless they get into the situation described by the famed Yogi Berra: "No one goes there anymore, the place is too crowded."

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast