Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• The Mystery Mouseketool

Mystical, Ritualistic, or Quasi-Religious Experiences at Disneyland

I did something a little weird this week (actually, I did a lot of weird things, but this one's appropriate for MiceChat...). Since my AP started working again, I finally got to the Resort to see the refurbished POTC. In honor of the trip, I brought along my Aztec gold coin necklace, and as soon as I got into the building and saw the new island, I got a great idea. I held the coin throughout the ride, and as soon as we got to the treasure cave, I dipped my ruddy hand overboard and baptized #882 in the Waters of the Attraction.
    While I didn't hear the same "THOOM" that accompanied Elizabeth's fall into the sea, I felt tremendously good about it, and my prop replica seems a little more officialized, at least to me. Plus, I'm pretty sure the pirate sitting atop the treasure pile was staring at me after I did it.

That got me thinking, though, about whether others have had (or created) any mystical, ritualistic, or quasi-religious experiences while at Disneyland. Is there something you MUST see or touch when you visit the Park? Somewhere you always go first to ensure the rest of your day will be fun? Something you believed (or still believe) about the magic that occurs there?

Here's another example: When I was a boy, I was terrified of the Haunted Mansion. I would either avoid going in, or keep my eyes closed the entire time. That changed, though, after one trip to the coin stamper machine at Pieces of Eight. For you young'uns, before there were penny-squishers everywhere, you could often find machines to print your own custom message on a souvenir coin, and POTC had a great one: a replica Spanish dubloon. I put my change in the machine, and a few minutes later I had a coin with GHOST PROTECTOR stamped on the back. Although I didn't like things jumping out at me (still don't, really), I was fine after that. After all, I reasoned, a talisman from a Disney machine should be perfect for warding off Disney ghosts.

What about you? Let's hear about your superstitions, rituals, or minor miracles!
    Did your watch fall overboard on the Jungle Cruise, only to turn up at City Hall twenty years later when you went looking for your kid's hat?
    Must you mutter, "to all who come to this happy place," every time you walk through the arch?
    Perhaps Sadako can fill in the uninitiated on the mysteries and majesty of the Shed...!

- Johnny
    "Remember, no matter where you go, there you are." - BB

• Disney for life!~

Re: Mystical, Ritualistic, or Quasi-Religious Experiences at Disneyland

For some weird reason,I always have to end my day by going to Snow White's Grotto..I also have to go and visit Esmerelda (at the Penny Arcade)so she can "read" my fortune.

• Disney worshipper/geek

Well, about the coin stampter, I am currently looking at the pirate medallion stamped coin I got from Disneyland. I wish they still did those. It has my first and middle name and the date, which happened to be my 6th birthday. I remember it very well being there with my mother and aunt...

I sort of have a little ritual to apply here. When I pass by the firehouse, I look up at Walt's apartment. If I'm coming into the park, I say " 'Mornin', Walt." On my way out, I give him a little mini-salute and say, "Thank you, Mr. Disney. See you soon." It's a weird little thing, which I'm sure makes people who don't know think I'm nuts, but Walt is my hero (it's funny, I'm listening to Enrique Iglesias' 'Hero' right now) and I do like to think he's there, watching.
    My mind won't rest
    and I don't sleep
    Not even in my dreams...
    -"If You Ever Did Believe"
    written by Stevie Nicks

Chasen Matthew Pacheco
    1985-2005

• Gumball Rally Godfather

I always enter Disneyland on the east side (by the bank) and I always leave on the west side (by City Hall).
    I try to eat breakfast at the Carnation Cafe at least once on every trip.
    I have made arrangements to have my ashes scattered on the Disneyland Railroad on the last trip around tha Magic Kingdom of the day. That way I will always be in Disneyland. (Actually, I just made that last part up, but I have thought about it)
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• Figment Fan Extradonaire

First thing when we arrive I don a "stupid hat", which is usually some outrageously huge, gaudy hat with a Disney theme to it, throw on my lanyard and make a b-line for Carnation Cafe and have breakfast. Other than the hat thing I don't find it that strange, I see many a passholder at Carnation eating breakfast before they trek into the park. Why you may ask? Because the food's good, the price is fair, the atmosphere is wonderful, and it's usually empty first thing in the morning when hundreds of other guests are streaming down Main Street.

Kongalush! To all you fellow adventurers out there!

• The Mystery Mouseketool

I'd just like to add that my behavior was far from exemplary! Kids, obey the rules and keep your hands in the boat at all times!
    "Remember, no matter where you go, there you are." - BB

My Granddad's favorite ride was POTC. My Granddad's name is George and for some weird reason, my oldest son calls my dad and Gdad by their first names. When my Gdad passed away, it was very hard on the family and especially devistating for my son. The first time we rode POTC after his passing, my oldest said, "hi George" to the banjo player rocking on his porch at the beginning of the ride. He says that the banjo player is George and everytime we go to Disneyland, we get to "see" him. Even now at almost 9, he is looking forward to seeing George and saying hi.

Quote Originally Posted by *SallyStitches* View Post
    ..I also have to go and visit Esmerelda (at the Penny Arcade)so she can "read" my fortune.
    I also have to do the same thing...I wish they would do a Disney tarot.

• Practically Magic

Blog Entries

My Disney ritual is to always always always go on the Haunted Mansion and watch only the Tight-rope Walker stretch. I've been doing that for at least 16 years now. It all started when I was a little girl and full of my own interpretations for everything. To me, the Tight-rope Walker was the ultimate embodiment of beauty, elegance, and invincibility. The look of complete tranquility on her face made me think she had no reason at all to fear the crocodile beneath her, so she must have always known that it was there and, most importantly, that it could never defeat her. Basically, I saw the whole composition's message as a beautiful young woman who was supremely confident in her own power. I thought if I paid homage to her every visit and wished hard enough when I watched her painting stretch, I might become exactly like her one day. Nowadays, whenever I need to face any kind of trial that makes me doubt myself, I always think of the Tight-rope Walker, and how I must try my best to be like her. In that way, she's become a sort of spiritual icon that I make pilgrimages to as frequently as I can. Other people have gods and goddesses that they look to for the same thing; well, I've always had the Tight-rope Walker.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Don't diss my bonnet

the location of my profile picture is Knott's in 1972, i'm about 10 months old.

There's a popup ghost in the Haunted Mansion, he's on the right hand side right past the Caretaker and behind the gate. Every single time we ride and he pops up, my husband and I always say "Ralph!!" as if its the most exciting thing ever. I have no idea why, but we do it...every single time we see him.

Long live Ralph!
    Will there be screams when the sun sets,
    -=Is It October Yet?=-

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkermonkey
    elly is the ultimate nerdy girl. But she makes it sexy
    Quote Originally Posted by pratt55
    Elly is adorkable.

• THE DMCA STONER!

I go to DL twice a year and religiously go through the right hand side tunnel into the park and head right to star tours! I think its cuz that was the only ride that didn't scare the crap out of me as a kid!
    BOO!

• I wanna be a mongoose.

I like to buy a Dole Whip, walk into the hub and slam it into someone's face. Nah but I do have to buy one and eat it. Not really ritualistic but darn good.

• It's all about Theme!

I have a list telling me how many times I have to ride a ride!
    Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
    "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
    -August 1st 2010

And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
    -August 2nd 2010

• no flash photography...

We used to be creatures of habit...or maybe you would say using the same ritual when we went to DL. Going on the same rides in the same order..going in the same tunnel and out the same tunnel.....I have put a stop to all that now and i enjoy the park more...

• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

I saw a image of Mary in a fritter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast