• Minion

Imagineering Offshoot -- HPB/"Disney Studios '55" Attractions

So, in another of my weird wacky moments, I thought of putting in HPB a fictionalized Disney Studios that would represent a time of Disney magnificence in animation, live-action features, and television. The year that suggested itself almost immediately was 1955. Originally, to represent each of these I picked three examples of Disney product within about a year of that: Lady and the Tramp, 20,000 Leagues under the Sea, and Davy Crocket. (I also thought the True Life Adventure "Country Bear" might make for an entry point to revive CBJ.) But, what kind of attractions would you be able to make from each of those materials, constrained by the space available?

Also, another Disney property that I didn't originally consider was the Mickey Mouse Club, which debuted in '55. Would it be possible to bring a MMC show to DCA? If so, would it be retro or contemporary? Would today's audience be able to handle being asked if they are "neat and pretty?" Would you have one generic show, or would you make the weekday shows follow the theme days?
    See, George Lucas? I'm not the only one! [<-- i.e. this is not my site]
    78 Reasons To Hate Star Wars Episode 1

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

• Minion

So, after seeing a PBS special about Civil War subs near New Orleans, I've been thinking overtime about a new 20K attraction.

I guess my favorite so far is to create something akin to Star Tours. You tour the engine room and other areas of the ship before entering your ride vehicle, the bridge of the Nautilus. You board from the back, because unlike Star Tours, the sides also have windows that see out to a large CircleVision screen or similar for a panoramic show. Also, develop something along the lines of the Pepper's Ghost effect so that you have an almost multi-plane feeling to the ride film. On the far screen, you have the basic ocean background. On the near screen, you see kelp and fish and other aquatic effects.

Captain Nemo narrates your journey through many of the scenarios you encountered on the WDW sub ride, and some of ours perhaps. Narrow squeezes through underwater canyons, ship graveyards, volcanoes, etc. Then, just before you reach your destination, you're attacked by the giant squid, using AA arms to attack the side windows, and a giant AA head that looms in front of the main window. Nemo finally uses the electrified hull to detach the squid, and maybe you could even feel a mild tingling of electricity in the air or through your seat.
    Last edited by ModHatter; 05-16-2005 at 09:06 PM. Reason: typo

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by ModHatter
    Nemo finally uses the electrified hill to detach the squid, and maybe you could even feel a mild tingling of electricity in the air or through your seat.
    Great ideas; I am sold. But wouldn't Captain Prescot or even Captain Benteen have more use for an electrified hill then Captain Nemo?----
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff
    Great ideas; I am sold. But wouldn't Captain Prescot or even Captain Benteen have more use for an electrified hill then Captain Nemo?----
    Drat, you lost me... the only Benteen I know is the guy who helped Scarlett rebuild Tara after the war.

-- Walt Disney

• Minion

Hey wait... is that Irwin Allen's classic, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea?

-- Walt Disney

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

No, I was just thinking [I]Hills.........Prescott was Bunker Hill and Benteen defended a Montana Hill against a famous Indian Raid.
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Minion

Ah... just a testament to which parts of my brain are working and which aren't.

-- Walt Disney