9/4/06 Labor Day Trip Report

We had been planning for quite a while to go to Disneyland on Labor Day because my husband's younger brother & gf from Ireland were coming to visit us in Cali. They had put it on their itinerary weeks ago for this day. Since it might be their only time ever at DL, we decided to use RideMax for the first time. Also, I had never arrived at opening, and we managed to get through the front gates about a min or two after opening. We went on almost every ride (no Small World or Autopia or Rockets or Storybook). RideMax worked great, we got way ahead of schedule. Like other people have said, hitting the right rides before noon is most important, after that, line lengths are pretty much the same. We even got on Peter Pan (this is a luxury to me, we hardly go on it because the line is always an hour long--we mostly go on weekends). Anyway, my brother-in-law and gf had a blast. The only negative (apart from the heat) was that the FIREWORKS WERE CANCELLED. Stephen (my husband) and I got a prime spot in the hub at 5:40. We babysat our bench and took turns getting food for each other to share. Chris & Yvonne (the brother & gf) joined us around 8 at the bench. Around 9:15 I believe the announcement blared, "Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls... the fireworks may be cancelled tonight due to winds of higher elevation." And something about how they would wait until showtime to decide whether to do the fireworks or not in case winds die down. So they played the same announcement about 4 more times. It was around 9:40, maybe 9:45 and I saw CMs going back into Fantasyland and those flashlight traffic directors start to come out to Main Street and the biggest clue, the carousel started turning. so I told them it's cancelled for sure and we ran to the Peter Pan line. As we were running they finally announced the fireworks had been cancelled. We got into line near the roped off Fantasyland and they let us in to go on Peter Pan a few minutes later. Then we ran onto Toad. Then the park closed. It was 10. Kind of an anti-climatic ending to an awesome day. We were soooooo looking forward to the fireworks I recommend RideMax if you're taking tourists. Usually we don't totally plan out our day, but this kept us from the slowness and standing around that occurs right after a ride when you're deciding where to go next. I wish we could get in the park with Chris & Yvonne before they leave just to see the fireworks. Now they have to watch it on my laptop

Also, I ate at Bengal BBQ for the first time. LOOOVED the Veggie skewer! They changed the pizza salad at Pizza Port since last time I had it...not as good now, different tomatoes. We also force fed our IRish friends churros and they wanted to try Dole Whips so we stood in line (the line lasted exactly same length as one Enchanted Tiki Room showing) & ate em in the show. Very refreshing!

• The one, the only...

Re: 9/4/06 Labor Day Trip Report

I am glad you had a good time. I was there Labor day also. I did not stay for the fireworks and now I am happy I skipped them. You are right about the DoleWhips! They make the Tiki Room experience and are particularly refreshing on a hot day! The Tiki Room was particularly cold that day also so it was refreshing just going!

Thanks for the trip report!
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Neep meep beep

Yep - I took my Mom for her 75th birthday - she used to visit Disneyland a lot starting in 1956! She's also a huge fireworks fan, and this was the third time since this current fireworks show started that I've paid for a ticket, and had her enter ... and the third time they were cancelled.

I know the last time I posted about the fireworks being cancelled I got very little sympathy on these boards, and a lot of "you should have known better, there was a breeze", but I finally broke down and got her a pass, even though she won't use it much, I think - I asked castmembers if the fireworks would go, and they said likely yes - that the wind was the same as the day before, and although delayed, the fireworks did go off on Sunday.

Oh well. Thanks for letting me vent in your thread, and I'm glad you had a great time - I think Ridemax is great!

Que chulo!! Your little tadpole is way cute! I wish he could be in one of my classes.

As for all of those sympathy-less people, I just wanna say, hindsight is always 50/50. And have some compassion, people! Disneyland is a once-in-a-lifetime experience for a lot of people!

• Banned User

I was there that day. Sounds like you had fun!