Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Disabled Guest Pro

Arrow Cast Member Treatment

I saw in another thread that folks were saying basically that cast members should stop complaining about their benefits and lunch rooms and pay because Disneyland is a buisness and should be able to treat their cast members any way they want. I agree that as a buisness Disneyland can do whatever they want, however I ask why would they want to treat their cast members poorly? Have you heard about the crazy high turnover rate of cast members? Next time you take a trip to the park look at all the name tags (if they still have their year on it) and see all the 2006's. Here is my 2 cents as you say about cast member treatment and what Disneyland cast members deserve.

I am not sure that some people understand that Disneyland is not just another employer, not just another company, not just another amusement park, see true Disneyland lovers understand that Disneyland is special and it is special because Walt wanted it that way. Walt wanted Disneyland to be a special place for everyone, both guest and cast members alike.

I spoke to a Space Mountain cast member on my last trip who had worked at the park for a long time (I believe it was 36 years!!!). I don’t remember her name but she does all the scheduling for Space Mountain cast members as well. A lovely lady who talked with me about “the good ol’ days. She remembers lunch rooms where cast members were seated and waited on, heck she even recalled cast members shooting hoops inside the matterhorn. She said that cast members used to be treated so much better than they are now. Why? Because that’s the way Walt wanted it. He wanted it to be a magical place to work. They had better benefits and better pay (for the time period) and yes better break rooms and meals. But these benefits were not free, in fact they were anything but free. See Walt also demanded that the cast members maintain am extremely high standard of dress, appearance, attitude and the like. Cast members always had to have a smile on their faces, always had to treat guests with the utmost respect and courtesy. Of course it was easier for them to do because they were treated so much better.

The result? Well simply put the results were “The Happiest Place on Earth.”

Certainly Disneyland is a business and as I have been told can do anything they want. But at what cost? Is Disneyland to become a mirror of Six Flags or even worse your county fair? I certainly hope not. No, Disneyland deserves better, much better because Disneyland is a special place for millions and should be treated that way. Disneyland should expect the highest standards from their cast members, but they should also ensure that those cast members are treated as the extraordinary people that they are.

• Haunted Mansion Lover

Re: Cast Member Treatment

I agree!!!!! The happier the CM's are the better your visit will be.
    Foolish Mortal

• Banned User

I agree cast members need to be treated better but Disneyland employment just seems to be in a slump right now. Most of my family has worked there back in the 70s and 80s and described it as a wonderful place to work. However, having worked there now along with a few of my cousins that has changed dramatically. I don't know what they can do to fix it. But it is Disneyland and it should be a great place to work!

• CM supporter

30 miles south of the happiest place on earth

I try to do my part in showing appreciation to those cast members that go above and beyond the call of duty.

On Thursday I gave out my first three pins. It was excellent. The first CM that got it was a guy on Pirates. He used an accent and enhanced the boat loading speech.

The second was an employee on Soarin'. I was with a guest that is paralized from the neck down and the CM got her and her family in the ride. She loved the ride and since it was so tough to get her in the seat, the CM let her stay on and go for a second ride.

The third was a cast member on TOT. I have seen him working there before and he gave a great speech to everyone in the line. "Ladies and gentlemen we have had a couple of women faint in line today. So, if you feel like you're going to faint, let me know and you can fall right into my arms."(that was the short version). He was very happy about the pin.

Just doing my part to spread the dland love.

• The Fantasyland guy

"should" being the key word.

My ex-g/f is a trainer in Fantasyland. Im sure she is happy that she gets a lot of training shifts! (of course, now that Matterhorn is closed, I don't think Fantasyland will be short of staff any time soon.

I think Disney just hasn't bothered taking a hard look at who they are employing, what a healthy balance of quality employees to reasonable turnover to training costs is, and what small changes could drastically improve the situation for everyone. In short, I think the HR department isn't doing much except mass-hiring people.

They need to pay competitively, give schedules more than basically 9 days in advance (considering they are not easy to switch shifts or depend on getting a rarely requested day off, etc), and get better in touch with the college student CR's who pretty much make the place work. If things were better for them, they could attract and grab one and hold onto them for FOUR years at least. That's a LOT less turnover and a lot more intelligent and driven CM's. As for the full time folks, they're basically committing to being very poor in exchange for a job they love, and while economics does support that, this is Disney, the most powerful brand in the world, and a couple (or just one) more dollars an hour would make a HUGE difference given living costs anywhere near OC.

As for break rooms and stuff, a small amount of money could make a big difference, and I'm pretty sure about 50 cheap air conditioners could fix the biggest complaint resort-wide, and more efficient cafeterias so folks would actually have time to eat in a 30 minute lunch without running or shoveling food in as fast as possible.

• Banned User

They give you your schedule 2 weeks in advance. Like when I'd pick mine up I'd see my hours for the next 2-3 weeks. They were very flexible if you wanted to switch shifts with someone.

• Cast Member

I guess until some executive truly GETS it, things won't change for the better.

I don't know what it would take, a strike would be the closest thing, but they are just clueless in general.

I did our annual survey for the company(every CM has to do it) and there were poor marks from me almost everywhere...almost being the key word there.

The scary thing about the survey we take annually is that either they get them and do nothing about them as usual or they actually listen and change things and screw up like with the Inn Between being turned into the "Starz Diner" and we all know how incredibly wonderful that turned out.

I give up.

Bye.

• Premium Youngling and

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek75 View Post
    I spoke to a Space Mountain cast member on my last trip who had worked at the park for a long time (I believe it was 36 years!!!). I don’t remember her name but she does all the scheduling for Space Mountain cast members as well.

I think I know who youre talking about. She kinda has short hair and looks just as old as the amount of time she has been working there. When I look at her name tag and it said she started in the 70's, i thought, it looks like you were born in the 70's. I asked how she liked her job and she said its the greatest job in the world. She was really nice and I had a nice time talking to her.

ANYWHO...

• Dreaming of Disneyland...

Disneyland needs to pay its workers more!! They wouldnt have a high turnover rate if they did. I wonder whos turnover rate is worse disneyland or wal-mart?
    SUPPORT THE CM's!

• CM supporter

30 miles south of the happiest place on earth

I think that Disney needs to pay more. Higher pay will attract higher quality employees. Better employees equals happier guests. Happier guests equals more money for the company.

Most people at the bottom of a totem pole are going to work at the minimum level because that's basically what they get paid, and if they don't like the way things are going, they quit or get fired. If you pay people more, they want to keep their job more so they would do a better job.

I can't wait to work at the happiest place on earth when I move back next year. I just hope it's still happy when I get there.

Maybe the new pres. will throw a bone to the CM's.

Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    I guess until some executive truly GETS it, things won't change for the better.

I don't know what it would take, a strike would be the closest thing, but they are just clueless in general.

I did our annual survey for the company(every CM has to do it) and there were poor marks from me almost everywhere...almost being the key word there.

The scary thing about the survey we take annually is that either they get them and do nothing about them as usual or they actually listen and change things and screw up like with the Inn Between being turned into the "Starz Diner" and we all know how incredibly wonderful that turned out.

I give up.

Bye.
    I think that's why I don't feel terribly motivated to fill out the survey. I would be happy to divulge reams of constructive criticism, but honestly not much will come of it. I really would like Disneyland to start steering itself back to the ideal that it once was and be a competitive employer. Honestly i shouldn't have sailed through my hiring process like I did- and certainly alot of CMs after shouldn't have been hired at all. It is destroying the image of the company. Back in the day it was a big deal to have Disney on your resume, now that respect for the standards it once had is seriously atrophying.

That said, with the Catering Trucks present- I like it better with the Inn Between closed, and CMs around the park should be happy with the extended hours of the West Side and Eat Ticket so those night 'folks in Critter Country and Toontown can get a decent meal for once.
    The Next Big Disney Thing: starts Jan. 3rd

• Dont make me unfriend you

Quote Originally Posted by dlandjimmy View Post
    I can't wait to work at the happiest place on earth when I move back next year. I just hope it's still happy when I get there.
    I believe this is one of the biggest reasons things won't improve for the CM's. The Execs know that no matter had badly they treat the CM's or how lousey they pay, there is always somebody who is just so excited to work there.

These high school kids hear all the bad stuff about working there, but put on their rose colored glass and say, "it won't happen to me.."

Things won;t improve for the CMs until they have to improve them. So far they haven't run out of kids willing to work there. (ok..most kids are only willing to do it for a month or so, but others are in the wings just waiting)

• Disabled Guest Pro

Its sad because the execs have seen some of the effects that their treatment of cast members has caused. Of course the high turnover rate, the severe cast member shortage, which got so bad that (if you remember) that managent from TDA was forced to be crosstrained on rides and attractions. Which I believe was also because of the strike that was rumored for quite awhile. It just seems that the execs feel like they don't need special people as cast members any longer and that any Tom, Dick or Harry will do just fine. Just drives me crazy!

On a side note when I was medically discharged from the Air Force, I contacted Disney via phone messages and emails attempting to get information about joining the human resource team. Told them of my love the park and how I would love to contribute to a brighter future for the park and their cast members and that I had been doing Human Resource Management for 10 years in the service. But I never heard back from anyone, not sure why except that maybe they don't want anyone in the department that wants a brighter future for Disneyland cast members?

• Sshhh, being very quiet

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek75 View Post
    On a side note when I was medically discharged from the Air Force, I contacted Disney via phone messages and emails attempting to get information about joining the human resource team. Told them of my love the park and how I would love to contribute to a brighter future for the park and their cast members and that I had been doing Human Resource Management for 10 years in the service. But I never heard back from anyone, not sure why except that maybe they don't want anyone in the department that wants a brighter future for Disneyland cast members?
    Just wondering...did you actually apply for a position or just "cold" call/email? I have been applying through the Disneycareers.com site for administrative positions and such for the past 2 years and just recently got my first call back. I really doubt that they would take cold calls seriously.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast