Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Sun Wheel survivor!

Beware of the mild-mannered Sun Wheel

OMG! I rode this yest. and thought I was going to die! We rode in one of the rocking gondolas and I got very very quesy - I thought I was going to hurl. It took me almost an hour before I could walk again - and then I went home. So needless to say - if you get motion sickness - beware of the innocent looking sun wheel!

Does anyone know the physiology behind this? I felt weak, shakey, and very nauseated.

Now I'm afraid to do Screamin, mailboomer, and orange stinger.

•   
    • Astigmatic

Blog Entries

Re: Beware of the mild-mannered Sun Wheel

I've been debating over whether to risk the moving gondolas. I debate because I hate the sensation of falling, so no Maliboomer or TOT for me. I can handle Splash, it's over so quick and I'm thinking to try Screamin'. And Orange Stinger and Teacups are okay, 'cuz I can handle the spinning.
    But what was the sensation on the Sun Wheel? Was it like going over and over roller coaster hills? Do you get motion sickness in cars?
    Well, at the very least, you can actually say you've done it. Hated it, but done it. Congrats! More than some of us chickens can say.
    BOK, BOK!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Don't diss my bonnet

the location of my profile picture is Knott's in 1972, i'm about 10 months old.

ferries wheels...along with clowns....are tools of the devil

the end
    Will there be screams when the sun sets,
    -=Is It October Yet?=-

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkermonkey
    elly is the ultimate nerdy girl. But she makes it sexy
    Quote Originally Posted by pratt55
    Elly is adorkable.

• no flash photography...

I love the sun wheel. It's really fun. If I fight it, I tend to feel a little queasy, but if I go with it and swing with the gondola, then it's the most fun ever......the only time I started feelign really sick on it was when it was rainign and there was no line. they didn't make us get off and we went around three times in a row...yeah, I was ready to get off then...LOL

• Silent Lucidity

Quote Originally Posted by minnietoo View Post
    ...Does anyone know the physiology behind this?...
    I have wondered about this also. We have been on the Sun Wheel twice, both times in the rolling gondolas. Both times, I have never felt safe!

Maybe it is because you don't except all the movement from a ferris wheel. You are in this cage, no way to fall out, but I feel like I have to hold on the entire time!

I love Screamin, TOT, all the fast thrill rides. Something about that ferris wheel gets to me...

• Tom Chaney R.I. P.

We rode in one of the rocking gondolas and I got very very quesy
    The sun wheel - not a good idea for me
    THIS SPACE FOR SALE OR LEASE

PRESIDENT OF THE DISNEYLAND LOOP LOVERS ASSOCIATION

• Banned User

OMG! I rode this yest. and thought I was going to die! We rode in one of the rocking gondolas and I got very very quesy - I thought I was going to hurl. It took me almost an hour before I could walk again - and then I went home. So needless to say - if you get motion sickness - beware of the innocent looking sun wheel!

Does anyone know the physiology behind this? I felt weak, shakey, and very nauseated.

Now I'm afraid to do Screamin, mailboomer, and orange stinger.
    you know what? I did the maliboomer ( not scary at all ) and I have done tot, loved it. but the ferris wheel, for some reason I got so afraid when I went on it and I got sick. not sure why, ferris wheels have never bothered me, but this one is freaky. maliboomer and tot is nothing believe me, but that maliboomer will never see my butt on it again!

• Sun Wheel survivor!

Quote Originally Posted by hakuna makarla View Post
    but that maliboomer will never see my butt on it again!
    Why not? How does it compare to TOT? I did TOT and really didn't care for the free falling - a loss of control thing I think. And Maliboomer seems like it is TOT "in the open" - what do you think?

• Shaman of the Whills

I always thought that the moving gondolas should have safety belts. I was in a party and people started flying around. I think the moving gondolas are a lawsuit waiting to happen.

• Sun Wheel survivor!

Quote Originally Posted by Aristocat View Post
    I've been debating over whether to risk the moving gondolas. I debate because I hate the sensation of falling, so no Maliboomer or TOT for me. I can handle Splash, it's over so quick and I'm thinking to try Screamin'. And Orange Stinger and Teacups are okay, 'cuz I can handle the spinning.
    But what was the sensation on the Sun Wheel? Was it like going over and over roller coaster hills? Do you get motion sickness in cars?
    Well, at the very least, you can actually say you've done it. Hated it, but done it. Congrats! More than some of us chickens can say.
    BOK, BOK!
    Yes, I easily get motion sickness - in cars traveling in the moutains - curves and if I try to read in a moving vehicle. I think it was because you are moving around the big circle and the little oval at the same time in different directions - I wasn't really scared - just very nauseated - VERY VERY VERY nauseated. I was wondering if this kind of movement makes one's blood pressure drop - and hence the nausea and shakiness (sp?) - I don't know. If I could figure out what happened - I would know what to expect on other rides (maybe).

To answer your question about the sensation - it was like spinning and and rolling at the same time - and it was slow so it seemed to last forever. I can do Splash and BTMR - not my favorite - but they don't make me sick. I can do SM and Indy - I close my eyes when I feel queezy and I feel better - and the rough parts get over with fast. ANd once those rides are over - I feel fine. Closing my eyes on Sun Wheel did not help me feel better. Once the ride was over - I took a long time to recover - and felt yucky the rest of the day. I went home as I didn't feel I could do another ride - and since I have an AP - it was no money lost. I didn't really feel better until I could lie back on the seat in the car.

It really did something to my equilibrium and my whole body - that's why I was wondering if it dropped my blood pressure too low - it would be interesting to know. But not interesting enough to do again and check.

• Earth Intruder

BEWARE THE SUN WHEEL. It is the one ride at DLR that I will not go on again under any circumstances.

I can ride Space, ToT, Maliboomer I LOVE... hell, all of the rides at Six Flags and Knotts are great, but I absolutely will not ride the sunwheel. Something to do with hanging for long periods of time, really high up, in a ferris wheel built in the days of Paul Pressler.

So no, you're not totally "out there" if you don't like the sun wheel. But don't let that make you NOT want to go on any of the other rides at the resort.
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

• no flash photography...

the sensation for me was like being on a swing in the park...and I move my body with the movement of the gondola, like I would on the swing in the park. If I just sit there or fight the movement , then i feel a bit queasy. The first few times we went on it we were screaming though...now we just talk throught the ride...LOL...

here's my daughter and her friend on the ride...it's very small, because it's a video and it's a big file. Hopefully it posts so it can be viewed.

I love the moving Gondolas. They are great. I love that feeling like you are going to slide right off the edge of the wheel. I also think it's hilarious when you can hear people screaming at the top of their lungs as they rock back and forth.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

It is a little un-nerving to say the least. I rode it once and have no intention of doing it again.
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Always watching...

Same here, rode the swinging gondolas ONCE, and probably won't do that again. I'm not the faint-hearted either. You can turn me upside-down, inside-out, drop me, or pretty much anything else, but something about those swinging gondolas made me really nauseous. The non-moving ones are fine and I like those, but don't ever put me on the swingning ones again!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast