• Donald's #1 Fan

Disneyland as a museum.

I was recently thinking...

We have two camps (generally speaking). One that would like that Disneyland never changed, or that only additions / upgrades were made.

The other one would like to see Disneyland evolve into something greater, bigger and better.

I'd say I fall into the former camp, although stuff like Indy makes me think twice about it.

But I fear that with Walt's passing, the accountants and marketing people taking their place have been harming DL with sub-par attractions, trying hard to please stockholders while ignoring the public.

That, and somehow I feel the really creative people left the company a long time ago. Mercifully, Lasseter seems to be doing some great things. We'll see.

Then again, DL is a classic. A gem that has no equal in the theme park business. How much longer can it stand marketing people and accountants draining the last blood out of its proverbial veins?

Look at the CMs. How badly they are paid, how they seem to be mistreated, and the personnel rotation numbers. Where's the charm in a place where people are paid less than in your usual fast food restaurant?

I know this is a reflection of the times we are living in. Maybe things will change for the better soon. Maybe not.

So, here's my question.

Would you be happy to see DL stay as a museum, in a semi-static state, where major changes were few and far between, but you could count on a friendly atmosphere, top notch rides, and Walt Disney's general vision for DL?

• It's all about Theme!

Re: Disneyland as a museum.

Museum!
    Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
    "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
    -August 1st 2010

And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
    -August 2nd 2010

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

I want Disneyland to keep coming up with new and innovative rides. Disneyland definatly has not lost its charm, or atleast to me for that matter. Yes, some rides were made on the cheap, I agree. But we should be thankful that Disneyland is bringing back old rides like the subs rather than paving them over. They realized that they now need to attract to the younger audiences and that they love Nemo. They saw that the lagoon is a great place to put Nemo is whalah, now the subs are coming back.

The new add-ons to Pirates & Mansion was just incredible to me. Sparrow was so life-like.

I think Disneyland is still very innovative, it just needs some spricing up, just like what it got during the 50th. Disneyland will still be around for many decades to come I think.

Most of the people I met at Disneyland who are CMs are big Disney fans like I am. So, if anyone sees a CM, cheer them up regardless if they cheered you up. It's really fun.

So, I like the creative and innovative Disneyland over the museum Disneyland. Because if Disneyland were to just stay the same year in and year out, they would lose to competitors who are taking away the crowds with new and innovative things. I don't want that happening to Disneyland.

I'll take an upgradable museum.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

I like that one Gunny. .

• Minion

How many times have you heard it?

Walt Disney’s famous quote: "Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world."

…Or the oft-repeated WDI slogan: “Disneyland is not a museum.”

In any serious discussion of Disneyland’s preservation or restoration, it’s likely that one or both of these statements will crop-up as a conversation-stopper. These not-so-magic words are invoked to shutdown debate, often by those with a personal stake in the outcome...

...Much more in my Re-Imagineering blog entry entitled "Disneyland is Not a Museum"(scroll down page to find) at:

http://imagineerebirth.blogspot.com/

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Cool Re: Disneyland as a museum.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
    I'll take an upgradable museum.
    I agree. The horrible attempts to 'upgrade' have 'downgraded' it by far - Tomorrowland (why do I always resort to Tomorrowland? just look at it....)

Upgradable museum. YES....if the alternative is another Tomorrowland-like catastrophe.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

The Tomorrowland that was based after how the world would look in 1986 still looks better than what Disneyland has now.

Tomorrowland has clearly become a place that supports todays technology over tomorrows.

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Wink Re: Disneyland as a museum.

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Wrassler View Post
    The Tomorrowland that was based after how the world would look in 1986 still looks better than what Disneyland has now.

Tomorrowland has clearly become a place that supports todays technology over tomorrows.
    I fully agree.